Hi guys,

I was just wondering if the chris martin alone's version of viva la vida (see youtube video below) has the same chords and stuff. Its because he plays it higher, and I really want to play it like his version, but I can't find the chords anywhere.
Can I just use regular tabs of the viva la vida song in stead of his, but with some higher chords?

Thanks.

http://youtu.be/yVMvStjG1K0
Well, i want to play it on his way. With no capo, as you can see. He also uses chords on higher fret, and not standard bare chords, as in the tab you gave. I really want to know which chords he plays and the riff he plays in the beginning.. So yeah..
^While no capo, it's not standard tuning and not recommended for regular guitar/strings. Seems to correspond to Drop D with capo on 1 - which is the normal way, something acoustic players like to do - though looks like his guitar is actually tuned to D#A#D#G#CF. You can tell from the open strings.
Then try it this way... And I always play in standard tuning... Not because I can't play in other tunings but because mainly of two things... I personally don't hear that much of a difference ...and I personally am not tuning a different way to play only one song... But that is up to each individual to decide

ANYWAY...

Like I stated this version sounds very good to me... I think personally the singing makes the song and the guitar is there just to accompany the singer.. Hell he could play an accordion and it would sound good with him singing... This is just my personal opinion and I am trying to help ...so take it for what it is worth...

remember also you can play barre chords higher up the neck... For example a C barre chord can be played at the 3rd fret or the 8th fret... Also, you can play a C chord like 62 different ways... Go to the link to confirm that ....Click on C chord and then when that screen appears click C chord again and it will show you like 62 different ways to play it ...that's unbelievable but true as you can see....

http://www.guitarchords247.com/

WITHOUT A CAPO

STANDARD TUNING 

INTRO: 
C#- D#- G#- Fm    x2

(Fm)      C#       D#
I used to rule the world 
           G#                   Fm
Seas would rise when I gave the word 
                     C#      D#
Now in the morning I sweep alone 
          G#                Fm
Sweep the streets I used to own

C#- D#- G#- Fm -2x's

(Fm)      C#        D#
I used to roll the dice 
          G#                Fm
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes 
              C#           D#
Listen as the crowd would sing: 
          G#                Fm
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"

(Fm)         C#       D#
One minute I held the key 
         G#                   Fm
Next the walls were closed on me 
                          C#       D#
And I discovered that my castles stand 
     G#                   Fm
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand 

C#             D#
I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing 
G#            Fm
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing 
C#               D#
Be my mirror, my sword, and shield 
   G#                Fm
My missionaries in a foreign field 
C#                D#
For some reason I can't explain 
G#                    Fm              C#     D#
Once you go there was never, never an honest word
         Cm               Fm
That was when I ruled the world 

C#- D#- G#- Fm    x2

(Fm)                  C#    D#
It was the wicked and wild wind 
              G#              Fm
Blew down the doors to let me in. 
                          C#       D#
Shattered windows and the sound of drums 
       G#                   Fm
People couldn't believe what I'd become

(Fm)     C#     D#
Revolutionaries wait 
        G#              Fm
For my head on a silver plate 
                   C#     D#
Just a puppet on a lonely string
   G#                        Fm
Oh who would ever want to be king? 

C#- D#- G#- Fm    x2 
(Ohhhhh Ohhh Ohhh)

C#             D#
I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing 
G#            Fm
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing 
C#               D#
Be my mirror, my sword, and shield 
   G#                Fm
My missionaries in a foreign field 
C#                D#
For some reason I can't explain 
  G#                    Fm
I know Saint Peter will call my name ,
   C#           D#
never an honest word
              Cm                Fm
But that was when I ruled the world

Last edited by DON CZARSKI at Jan 7, 2014,
Okay, so.. I have to tune to D#A#D#G#CF. Because yes, I only want to play it like how he does, and I just have to use the chords C#, D#, G#, Fm, higher up the neck..
It still doesn't sound very well, because I only can find those chords in standard E tuning.. And the solo at beginning? Does anybody know if thats easy to play? It looks easy to me..
NO, the chords I gave work if you play the song in standard tuning only without a CAPO..... Not the other tuning given by the other guy.... If it is in a different tuning it may or may not use the same chords..... and the chords I have given I do not believe it does with the other tuning.......

So he would have to provide the chords to you for his tuning...
Hey so I wanted to do the same thing and I kept thinking that he has to have some different tuning -- but the song he plays right after this in the concert is Losing My Religion and for that song he plays it and it's in a standard tuning. But ah ha! He switches guitars between songs -- and the two guitars look exactly the same (finally found a video out there where you see this happen).

So then with some guessing I'm pretty sure he's just playing the guitar with all strings tuned down 1/2 step (watch the intro riff -- the open "e" is really an "Eb". Once I figured this out, I took the mp3 recording and loaded it into Transcribe! (good software!) and then brought the key up 1/2 step. This way I didn't have to retune my guitar while I worked on it.

So... if you followed me this far, then I took a rough stab at the chords watching the video and listening. These definitely aren't perfect. And during the chorus he changes it up and plays different inversions -- but they're the same 4 chords. So here's my stab at those first 4 chords:

E A D G B e
10 12 x 11 x x
12 14 x 13 x x
9 12 11 x x x
9 9 7 x x x

Now on the first two chords, the reason I think he's playing a standard tuning is because you can play the B and e strings open while you strum and it sounds great. But then the second 2 chords you have to keep the strings you're not playing pretty dead.

At least this is my best guess after a couple of hours (or more) of trying to figure it out.

Now, if you google "chris martin secret performance" there is a youtube of him playing the same tune (again solo guitar) a couple of months ago But it's in a lower key. Here he has a capo on III but he's tuned down 1/2 step again. So to match up with him just capo on II.

In this case the first two chords are pretty much the chords above except that he frets the first two chords just about like the two above:
E A D G B e
7 9 9 8 0 0
9 11 11 10 0 0
(keep in mind the capo is on II but these are the exact frets since they're so high up, so don't count from the capo)

The third chord is just an open E chord and the last is a minor chord slid way up the neck:
11 13 13 X (0) (0)
where sometimes he plays the top two strings open.

I know it's not perfect, but it's sort of in the ballpark. Have fun!

Drew