Although I've been playing guitar for a number of years now I've never really bought very much new gear. As my skill is progressing now, however I'm starting to branch out and look for some more advanced gear so that I can take my playing to the next level as I grow more serious about it. When it comes to Amplifiers I'm pretty much useless so I was wondering what kind of Amplifiers within around a 0-£300 budget would be good for playing hard rock/metal/punk rock/pop punk/alternative rock/grunge music with? I've always made do with this shitty little 15 watt amp that came cheap with my first electric. What would you guys suggest? I want something that is equally good clean as it is with distortion.

So yeah, opinions?

Bands I'd be playing songs by: Avenged Sevenfold, Pantera, Green Day, Blink 182, Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Sum 41, The Clash, Dream Theater, Foo Fighters, Guns N Roses, Johnny Cash, My Chemical Romance, Nirvana, System of a Down, etc, etc.
You look like you could use a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60!
Or maybe an Egnater rebel.

The first is loaded with a shitload of funny effects, so that's your amp if you like funny effects, while the Egnater is a lot more straight forward.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Funny you should say that, I've had Peavey reccommended to me before. What makes you say a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, why should I use that?

Sorry I just have no idea when it comes to Amplifiers :P
Quote by QuibbyFailed
Funny you should say that, I've had Peavey recommended to me before. What makes you say a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60, why should I use that?

Sorry I just have no idea when it to Amplifiers comes :P

1. peavey is probably the most popular amp here. they have sever diferent lines. and they honestly are all pretty good.
2. Peavey vypyr tube is a digital (known as modeling amp) and they have a dozen or so different amps that they model other amps (most cases well known and more expensive) while never getting identical it sounds good though. this would allow you to get a good variety of cleans and distortions which would cover more ground.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Proud owner of a vypr tube for the last 3 years, super versatile and is loud enough for jams. If you like metal you may consider grabbing a noise gate, and it can take some time to dial in the tones you want but other than it's a awesome amp for the price.

Wouldn't recommend it for gigging if you plan to do so later though.
Often in ones madness resides genius. Thus for a mind seeped in madness, the imagination is limitless.
Quote by BigHeadClan
Proud owner of a vypr tube for the last 3 years, super versatile and is loud enough for jams. If you like metal you may consider grabbing a noise gate, and it can take some time to dial in the tones you want but other than it's a awesome amp for the price.

Wouldn't recommend it for gigging if you plan to do so later though

why wouldn't you recommend one? likely will be mic'd you can get good enough tone that shouldn't be a reason. if you have a sanpera switch you have good control.

giggable in my opinion. if i had a vypyr tube i would take it to certain gigs.

for normal gigging i usually use the splawn pro mod though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
So a Vypr Tube is a good choice then. Bearing in mind I wouldn't be playing just metal, but the occational blues and country songs too
I've had a couple of frieds say I should go for a Blackstar amp, I haven't looked at any specs or pricings yet but would that win over on a Peavey sound wise?
Quote by QuibbyFailed
So a Vypr Tube is a good choice then. Bearing in mind I wouldn't be playing just metal, but the occational blues and country songs too

ask 311 how it does cleaner tones he has a lot of clips on his profile as well. there may be some in there.

honestly at your budget i don't think you could do better.

if you could afford $700-$800 for a head a Egnater Renegade would be next thing up. i owned one for a while, jack of all master or none. then you would need a cab if you want a cab

then after that i would recommend a Mesa MKIV, but they are really expensive out of the states. $900-$1000 range. could find in combo or head. if head, you would still need a cab
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by QuibbyFailed
I've had a couple of frieds say I should go for a Blackstar amp, I haven't looked at any specs or pricings yet but would that win over on a Peavey sound wise?

i think the blackstars are far overrated. they have deceptive advertising. they are not all tube (HT models) they are littered with SS shit, which makes them hybrid. they advertised something along the lines of "pure tube' or 'all tube'

try one out you may feel different.

i would definitely take the vypyr tube 60 over that.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I may have to take you up on the Vypr then. For the money it sounds like one hell of a bargain. Blackstars seem a little pricier and if they're as overrated as you say I don't want to be wasting to money on them. I think I'll have a little more look around and if I come up empty or don't find anything else I'll get a Vypr, and it's definitely looking that way from now. Thanks for your help.

One more question though, what's a cab?