Hey guys, a few weeks ago I got myself a Christmas present and bought a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 Head. Really loving the tones coming out of it and it's great for what I bought it for which is home practice and recording. However I didn't get the matching cab, mainly due to price, so I was hoping you guys could help me pick one since I don't know too much about cabs/speakers/etc. I'm looking for a 1x12 cabinet. I answered the standard questions below.

Budget? - ideally around $150 but can stretch to around $200

Genres? - Rock, classic rock/heavy metal, instrumental (Satch, EJ, Vai etc.), modern metal to a lesser extent (I have a JSX for that )

New or Used? - either, don't care, probably used considering my budget

Home or Gig? - mostly for practice/home use but might use for an occasional jam

Closest City? - Ann Arbor, MI but travel a lot in the Metro Detroit area

Current Gear? - This will be for the Tubemeister 5 head exclusively. As for guitars I have an Ibanez RG, a Strat, and a ESP LTD H-51. I mostly use the Ibanez.

Things I have considered so far are a) Buying a cheap cab like a Kustom ($99) or something used and swapping out the speaker and b) Picking up a used Avatar (though they are pretty rare it seems). My main questions are: what would be the concerns with option A, and what speaker would you recommend, particularly for my amp? Any help is appreciated
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.
I believe that the tubemeister cab's come loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. The V30's would likely work well for the type of music that you've listed.

You're best be it to scour you used market to try to find something within your price range.

The only time I've used a tubemeister, was the 36 watt through the matching cab with V30's. I gotta say, they're great amps!
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by red.guitar
I believe that the tubemeister cab's come loaded with Celestion Vintage 30's. The V30's would likely work well for the type of music that you've listed.

You're best be it to scour you used market to try to find something within your price range.

The only time I've used a tubemeister, was the 36 watt through the matching cab with V30's. I gotta say, they're great amps!

Yeah I used my JSX as a cab a few times, which has V30 clones I think, and it sounded really good. Hoping something turns up.

Quote by Flux'D

I've thought about that, but I wonder about their quality versus something available commercially like a Kustom or Jet City cab...

I found this at a local store:
http://www.musicgoroundtroy.com/p/65867/used-lobo-cab-mod-wpyle

Think it's a good buy, even if the speaker is junk? Apparently it's a Pyle, which I've read are crap unless it's an early model.
Lopoline cabs are pretty much on par with what I posted, for a few years you could order anything from a DIY knockdown cab (they send you parts, you glue it together) to a completely loaded cab from their website. Mojotone bought them out I believe
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Sooooo that Lopoline cabinet I was checking out......now I've heard of open back but not open side

Can't say I've seen that before
Port City has a similar idea, but not quite that
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

^ but Port City actually has ports (hole with a cylinder) where this looks more like an semi open back cab but on the sides.

it does look interesting. I wonder how it sounds. If it is within budget then play your amp through it and then get it.

all I found on craigslist was this:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/msd/4248319330.html

These 2x12s have decent speakers and you would have to disable the amp part and rewire it for a cabinet only. I used to have one many many moons ago.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^ but Port City actually has ports (hole with a cylinder) where this looks more like an semi open back cab but on the sides.

it does look interesting. I wonder how it sounds. If it is within budget then play your amp through it and then get it.

all I found on craigslist was this:

http://annarbor.craigslist.org/msd/4248319330.html

These 2x12s have decent speakers and you would have to disable the amp part and rewire it for a cabinet only. I used to have one many many moons ago.

That Lopoline is up for $99 but the guy said he'd cut me a deal since the cutouts weren't advertised so, provided it doesn't sound like ass with the cutouts, maybe I'll offer like $50 then swap out the speaker for the WGS Vet30 I've been eyeing and have a 1x12 for like $120

Thanks for checking CL 311 I've been looking myself but with little success. What you described is basically how I ran my JSX as a cabinet, but that has a removable jack for the speaker connection so it was easy. One of the reasons I want a 1x12 is portability so neither the FM or my JSX are a good option. BTW I also had a FM a long time ago, not bad for a first amp.
Update - I've narrowed it down to three cabinets:

1. Egnater Tweaker 1x12 (has Celestion G12H-30W speaker)
2. Avatar 1x12 with Hellatone 60
3. Hughes and Kettner TM112 (has Celestion V30)

#3 is a bit more expensive but is the matching cab to the Tubemeister series. Out of those three, what would you guys go with?
Avatar because it has a convertible back and it is a solid cab.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
did anyone notice the lipoline came loaded with pyle speakers.

derek trucks speakers, he loved those things. he was about the only who liked those speakers.

out of those 3 i'd probably go with the egnator for the speaker, but it's really close with the avatar (i just don't prefer the V30 style speakers).
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yeah I saw the Pyle speaker, it made me laugh. The only place around me that carried Pyle was a pawn shop.

He could always get a Avatar with the G12h30 or Hellatone 30
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by edbert
Hey guys, a few weeks ago I got myself a Christmas present and bought a Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 5 Head. Really loving the tones coming out of it and it's great for what I bought it for which is home practice and recording. However I didn't get the matching cab, mainly due to price, so I was hoping you guys could help me pick one since I don't know too much about cabs/speakers/etc. I'm looking for a 1x12 cabinet. I answered the standard questions below.

Budget? - ideally around $150 but can stretch to around $200

Genres? - Rock, classic rock/heavy metal, instrumental (Satch, EJ, Vai etc.), modern metal to a lesser extent (I have a JSX for that )

New or Used? - either, don't care, probably used considering my budget

Home or Gig? - mostly for practice/home use but might use for an occasional jam

Closest City? - Ann Arbor, MI but travel a lot in the Metro Detroit area

Current Gear? - This will be for the Tubemeister 5 head exclusively. As for guitars I have an Ibanez RG, a Strat, and a ESP LTD H-51. I mostly use the Ibanez.

Things I have considered so far are a) Buying a cheap cab like a Kustom ($99) or something used and swapping out the speaker and b) Picking up a used Avatar (though they are pretty rare it seems). My main questions are: what would be the concerns with option A, and what speaker would you recommend, particularly for my amp? Any help is appreciated

What is your impression of the Tubemeister so far? I know that a lot of low wattage tube amps are still too loud for home practice, does it still have that tube warmth at low volume or does it lose some of its character and some of its range a bit?

I think low output valve amps are a great idea and I have no idea why manufacturers didn't click on sooner, only problem is even the small ones still vibrate the windows - the neighbours windows at that. I want a small amp for home use but I'm beginning to think maybe a modelling amp may be the why to go for home use, or if not a modelling amp then at least a small solid state combo that isn't going to require being pushed quite hard to retain its identity. Just wondering how you felt yours measured up to your initial expectations and desires for the amp when you bought it. it doesn't matter how much you try something out in the shop, with something like a home use amp you are never really know if it is going to fit the bill till you have got it home and you have been playing it for a week.
Sorry guys, one more question, thanks a ton so far for the help. A used Egnater Rebel 1x12 cab popped up in my area. Anyone have any experience with this cab? I like how it has a birch construction, but am unsure about the Celestion Elite 80 speaker.

Quote by richards-keith
What is your impression of the Tubemeister so far? I know that a lot of low wattage tube amps are still too loud for home practice, does it still have that tube warmth at low volume or does it lose some of its character and some of its range a bit?

I think low output valve amps are a great idea and I have no idea why manufacturers didn't click on sooner, only problem is even the small ones still vibrate the windows - the neighbours windows at that. I want a small amp for home use but I'm beginning to think maybe a modelling amp may be the why to go for home use, or if not a modelling amp then at least a small solid state combo that isn't going to require being pushed quite hard to retain its identity. Just wondering how you felt yours measured up to your initial expectations and desires for the amp when you bought it. it doesn't matter how much you try something out in the shop, with something like a home use amp you are never really know if it is going to fit the bill till you have got it home and you have been playing it for a week.

I really like it so far! I've mainly been using it for home practice/recording so far using the "RedBox" out into my computer. Sounds great compared to the VSTs I've been using, definitely has that tube character. Honestly I pretty much bought this blind (only going off Youtube videos) and I am impressed at how it sounds. I used to own a Crate Palomino V16, and also played a Fender Blues Jr. for a while, and this beats them IMO, especially for overdriven rock tones. I'll try to put together a review/demo at some point since a lot of people seem curious about this amp.

Can't speak too much for how it sounds cranked though, since I only have my JSX to use as a cab (which I leave at my jam space). It does get very loud for a 5 watter. For home use for me the Master doesn't go above maybe 10 o'clock. My advice to you would be to try both if you can. A modeling amp will give you tons of different tones right at your fingertips, but in most cases you won't have that tube character. Can you still get good tones out of a modeller? Absolutely. Is it going to sound as good as a tube amp? Probably not in most cases.

Also, FWIW, the 18W version of the Tubemeister has a power soak down to 1W, which will allow you to crank it while keeping the volume down:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/hughes-kettner-tubemeister-18-tube-guitar-amp-head
I'm not 100% but I think the Elite 80 is a Celestion CL-80 which is a nice speaker, but it also could be a rebranded 70/80 which are pretty bad
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think you're right Robb, I found this post on TGP, apparently from Bruce Egnater himself.

The Egnater Elite 80 is a Classic Lead 80 that is private labeled for us. They did some sort of tweak to the low end that makes it ever so slightly fuller in a small cabinet. Honestly, I don't know if anyone could really tell the difference between the Egnater and the CL80 except maybe in a blind A/B test. I would consider them interchangeable. FYI, this speaker excels over other speakers in the smaller cabinets (open or closed back) for a much fuller/tighter low end, smoother high end and tons less cone break up (farting). How loud you play has a tremendous effect on how a speaker responds. A V30 can sound brighter, clearer at low volumes but does tend to get a little abrasive in the high end and definitely breaks up easier than the 80 at higher volume.

Egnater

I'm going to try it out tonight or tomorrow with my H&K, I'll report back after.
Hey guys, I ended up buying the Egnater Rebel 1x12. I got it for $150 at my local GC. So now my mini stack is complete:

I played it for a good half hour with my H&K before deciding to buy it. I used an Ibanez RG and a MIM Strat (similar to my own gear). Overall it's a solid cab with a good amount of bass, but has the transparency to dish out what you're dialing in. Clean tones were pretty good, a little muddy with everything at 5/10 but opens up nicely with a little treble dialed in. Overall a nice fat sound that didn't get too overpowering with the bass on the amp turned up. On the drive channel, this thing sounds great. Really heavy for a 1x12 and great for rock and heavy metal tones. Leads are nice and smooth too. Also, this thing is a tank. I was surprised at how heavy it is (website says 38 lbs!). Seems like a lot of other 1x12s are much lighter.

Appreciate the suggestions that led to my purchase
Quote by edbert
Hey guys, I ended up buying the Egnater Rebel 1x12. I got it for $150 at my local GC. So now my mini stack is complete:

I played it for a good half hour with my H&K before deciding to buy it. I used an Ibanez RG and a MIM Strat (similar to my own gear). Overall it's a solid cab with a good amount of bass, but has the transparency to dish out what you're dialing in. Clean tones were pretty good, a little muddy with everything at 5/10 but opens up nicely with a little treble dialed in. Overall a nice fat sound that didn't get too overpowering with the bass on the amp turned up. On the drive channel, this thing sounds great. Really heavy for a 1x12 and great for rock and heavy metal tones. Leads are nice and smooth too. Also, this thing is a tank. I was surprised at how heavy it is (website says 38 lbs!). Seems like a lot of other 1x12s are much lighter.

Appreciate the suggestions that led to my purchase

Sweet set-up!

I'm GASing hard for the Tubemeister 36. H&K doesn't get a lot of love here.
Quote by edbert
Sorry guys, one more question, thanks a ton so far for the help. A used Egnater Rebel 1x12 cab popped up in my area. Anyone have any experience with this cab? I like how it has a birch construction, but am unsure about the Celestion Elite 80 speaker.

I really like it so far! I've mainly been using it for home practice/recording so far using the "RedBox" out into my computer. Sounds great compared to the VSTs I've been using, definitely has that tube character. Honestly I pretty much bought this blind (only going off Youtube videos) and I am impressed at how it sounds. I used to own a Crate Palomino V16, and also played a Fender Blues Jr. for a while, and this beats them IMO, especially for overdriven rock tones. I'll try to put together a review/demo at some point since a lot of people seem curious about this amp.

Can't speak too much for how it sounds cranked though, since I only have my JSX to use as a cab (which I leave at my jam space). It does get very loud for a 5 watter. For home use for me the Master doesn't go above maybe 10 o'clock. My advice to you would be to try both if you can. A modeling amp will give you tons of different tones right at your fingertips, but in most cases you won't have that tube character. Can you still get good tones out of a modeller? Absolutely. Is it going to sound as good as a tube amp? Probably not in most cases.

Also, FWIW, the 18W version of the Tubemeister has a power soak down to 1W, which will allow you to crank it while keeping the volume down:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/hughes-kettner-tubemeister-18-tube-guitar-amp-head

Thank you very much, that's really good info. I don't think i'll go for the modelling option, it seems like it's taking a lot of the craft out of the whole experience. Your playing skill is one thing and it's obviously the thing everyone is always looking to improve on no matter what their skill level and abilities. But then the other half of the experience is trying to craft your own (hopefully) distinctive sound by the selection of your gear, guitar/amp/effects and then harnessing those sounds vis-à-vis your playing style. By having all these sounds on tap without really having to work at it somehow degenerates the experience somewhat IMHO. I can see the use for modelling amps for some uses, like maybe session musicians who need to go in a studio and get a particular sound and get it recorded pretty quick with the minimum of fuss. I don't know, it just all seems a bit like cheating to me if you get my drift?

There are some good little hybrid amps out there that maybe a good compromise that I will look at. I do like the sheer range of small tube amps there are available at the moment, and I can't believe how reasonably priced they all are as well. It's certainly a good time to be shopping for a small amp, I think the choice is wider than ever and the quality seems top notch with most of them, the only problem is narrowing down a range from which to choose from. Your H&K looks fab btw, will definitely try one just to see what I think.
Thanks a lot guys

Quote by richards-keith
Thank you very much, that's really good info. I don't think i'll go for the modelling option, it seems like it's taking a lot of the craft out of the whole experience. Your playing skill is one thing and it's obviously the thing everyone is always looking to improve on no matter what their skill level and abilities. But then the other half of the experience is trying to craft your own (hopefully) distinctive sound by the selection of your gear, guitar/amp/effects and then harnessing those sounds vis-à-vis your playing style. By having all these sounds on tap without really having to work at it somehow degenerates the experience somewhat IMHO. I can see the use for modelling amps for some uses, like maybe session musicians who need to go in a studio and get a particular sound and get it recorded pretty quick with the minimum of fuss. I don't know, it just all seems a bit like cheating to me if you get my drift?

There are some good little hybrid amps out there that maybe a good compromise that I will look at. I do like the sheer range of small tube amps there are available at the moment, and I can't believe how reasonably priced they all are as well. It's certainly a good time to be shopping for a small amp, I think the choice is wider than ever and the quality seems top notch with most of them, the only problem is narrowing down a range from which to choose from. Your H&K looks fab btw, will definitely try one just to see what I think.

I absolutely get what you mean, and you're right, going through gear to try to get your own sound is a great experience in its own. Tube amp + pedals is almost always going to sound better. Here are a few suggestions to get you started (in addition to the H&K )

Orange Tiny Terror/Dark Terror
Jet City JCA22H
Egnater Tweaker
Vox AC4
Fender Super Champ X2 (this is a tube amp but also kind of a modeling amp, has built in "voicing" and effects, might be right up your alley)

Of course if you start your own thread the guys in this forum can help you better than I can
So where's the NAD?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
So where's the NAD?

I suppose I should make one but I want to get some clips recorded first (also with new cab) so it'll actually be a useful NAD thread instead of ZOMG look at my new mapz and pretty blue lights!!!111
I gotta say, that side ported cab is intriguing. I can see how it could work. Open but still has a complete back board. I'd love to try one. Could be a nice compromise between open and closed. I'd expect good projection but still with a loose bluesy feel.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by edbert
Thanks a lot guys

I absolutely get what you mean, and you're right, going through gear to try to get your own sound is a great experience in its own. Tube amp + pedals is almost always going to sound better. Here are a few suggestions to get you started (in addition to the H&K )

Orange Tiny Terror/Dark Terror
Jet City JCA22H
Egnater Tweaker
Vox AC4
Fender Super Champ X2 (this is a tube amp but also kind of a modeling amp, has built in "voicing" and effects, might be right up your alley)

Of course if you start your own thread the guys in this forum can help you better than I can

No thanks very much I think I may just start with your short list, that's a more than good enough selection to be going on with, there's no point in making the process too complicated and there is a couple on there I hadn't thought of before. Many thanks for those suggestions. Sorry hope you don't think I was hi-jacking your thread but one question lead to another. This has been an enlightening discussion, really enjoyed it thank you.