Hey, I wasn't sure if this is the right place to post this but it was my best guess so here we go.

I was contacted about teaching a guitar course at a community college that is part of a program called TAG (Talented and Gifted) in which middle school students come and take a three hour class once a week for two weeks on a certain topic, then do a different class, then a final third class, stretching the program out over six weeks. Thing is, I've never taught formal guitar lessons before. I'd really like to try it though, I think it would be a good experience for me. The lessons will be for three groups of probably about a dozen kids that I will have for two weeks per group, so I need a lesson plan for two weeks that can be reused.

Since these are middle school students I planned on focusing on more basic stuff such as chord shapes, standard scales like the major/minor/pentatonic, learning the notes on the fretboard, etc. and of course adjusting what I teach and to what depth depending on their skill levels. If anyone has any suggestions on what to teach, how to teach, or anything at all in general, I'd appreciate it.
Start with the beginning. If you have beginners, some will not even know how to hold the dang thing.

From there, just be reasonable. If they want to be able to strum along to popular ballads then teach open chords and how to use a capo.

If they want to attend Berklee one day, teach them everything you know starting with the absolute easiest things to learn and building up to sight-reading and transcribing.

I hope htis helps some. I know I didn't get really specific about what to teach in what order, but there are many wonderful guitar method books, and learn at home DVD courses that I think one could use as a guide for ones own teaching practice. Even a method like Mel Bay Modern Guitar Method can be effective if you use it as a PART of your overall course of study.

The thing about being a teacher, and putting yourself out there as a guitar instructor, you need to invest considerable time studying the art of teaching. Read several method books. Look at how the pros have structured their courses. Think about your own learning process. What helped, what confused, what would you do different and what would you emulate? Ask your students, after a few months, what they like and what stresses them.
I should have read the post more closely.

Just get a list of popular songs. A mix of songs in major and minor keys. Spend a day or two on how to hold, tune and talk about the guitar as an object. Then start introducing the songs in order of easiest to hardest. Some may show some early tendancy to want to play licks and learn melodies. Let them, or while the rest of the class is working on the chords you can have a small group of those with some aptitude to hit a lead lick or two.

Or just buy a good class method like Alfred or Mel Bay.

I took a guitar class in college. About 15 college age students taking a 2 hour elective course. We sat in a semi-circle with the teacher demonstrating the techniques in an exaggerated fashion. I took it as an easy A, but I know some in the class started with no prior experience and learned to strum and pick some.

Hope this helps
It'd be hard doing a ton of work with songs since I only have two three-hour days with each group. I want to cover general basics like 8 or so standard chords and basic scales like the pentatonic and major, so maybe I could fit in some songs briefly with these lessons. Since (I'm assuming) there will be students with no prior experience with a guitar, learning songs might take a lot of time that could be better spent teaching them things they could work on at home versus spending a lot of time trying to figure out a song. I'd still like to touch on it briefly and you have plenty of points I can draw from so thanks a ton!
Resign yourself to this:

In 6 hours you will not achieve much with anyone. Even those who have experience with the instrument will not make much in the way of progress in that amount of time.

Also I question the wisdom of someone who has taken a job they don't know how to do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.