A little back story before I get into the build, to make a long story short. I originally acquired this hellraiser a few years back and toured with it for roughly a year. I then sold the guitar to a local musician and went on my merry way for a year. Well I was recently in the market for another metal style guitar, and I thought hey why not try and track down my old hellraiser..? after all they are my favorite! Turns out I hit the guy up and he still had it, so long story short I got it back! Now to the "build" and problems!

The guitars been around the block, its been toured with heavily over the years and it is definitely starting to show. So my plan is to try and fix everything. Good Luck Right? I have had some experience with building guitars before but never with restoring them or setting them up both of which I have been horrible at in the past. But this guitar is in some desperate need.

So things I am Trying to do: some are short term some are long term as I am broke

All white "hardware". I have never seen a hellraiser with white pickups and such and I think it would look pretty good against the red? Thoughts?

General Restoration/Replacement:
Basically the bridge has "fused" or bonded together and I am unable to remove it at the moment? The screws that thread in the front to lock it down have molded to the bridge and refuse to turn.

Fretboard restoration as it is looking slightly old worn out and dry.
General purpose cleaning as all the screws and such have rusted and left dust all over the place.

Mostly just simple stuff like that for the moment, more details of the overhaul to come in the future!

Also the most puzzling question I have of all! I pulled the pickups from the guitar for the first time since I have owned it! Now it is my understanding that the Hellraisers came with 81TW/89 Emg pickups and for a short while 81/60's. I pulled my pickups and they both Say EMG 81? Refer to the pictures below for help! Idk if its a hickup or if the guy put another 81 in the neck as well, but they sound completely different when the guitar is played so Idk what to think? any thoughts anyone?

PICTURES!

Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
You know you're addicted to gear when you've had more guitars than girlfriends
All white "hardware". I have never seen a hellraiser with white pickups and such and I think it would look pretty good against the red? Thoughts?

I don't mean to sound negative, but you might struggle with this. AFAIK, there aren't any manufacturers that make white hardware. Your best option would be to get some powder coated, I think...

Basically the bridge has "fused" or bonded together and I am unable to remove it at the moment? The screws that thread in the front to lock it down have molded to the bridge and refuse to turn.

You might be able to lever the entire unit out, including the mounting posts and bushings. Be sure to protect the guitar top, then try to raise it without putting too much pressure on either side and mashing the holes.

Fretboard restoration as it is looking slightly old worn out and dry.

If you don't fancy a refret, you can probably get away with using #0000 steel wool on the fingerboard, then get some lemon oil involved.

General purpose cleaning as all the screws and such have rusted and left dust all over the place.

Definitely, and just replace the screws.

EMG 81 thing

Bear in mind that the pickup placement will make them sound completely different. You'd be surprised by how much your tone can change just by moving a pickup towards the bridge. I'm pretty sure that the first Hellraisers came with an 81 and 85, but you've got two 81's now. They have plenty of finishes if you fancy some new ones to fit the colour scheme.
Point Taken: But I mostly meant I am going to paint the pickups white get an all white screw set and have at it the bridge and tuners for the time being are going to remain the factory color. Eventually I Plan on having some powder coated then splatter painted with the cherry red color from the guitar.

As far as a refret, the frets aren't bad I have just been slowly restoring the board with lemon oil and a good cleaning.

Thanks for the tip on the bridge, I may try that, as of now the bridge still works okay and it holds tune and sounds good so I may just leave it.

and the Emg thing, idk what you mean. I was just confused as to how I got a guitar with both 81's in it. I like it, its different and they sound good I was just a tad confused
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
Quote by Holysorrow
Point Taken: But I mostly meant I am going to paint the pickups white

and the Emg thing, idk what you mean. I was just confused as to how I got a guitar with both 81's in it. I like it, its different and they sound good I was just a tad confused

It might sound like a bore, but you should keep your eye on eBay for white EMGs. The black ones have great resale value if they're in good condition, so you'll be able to sell them easily, and the white ones are usually a lot cheaper than black second hand... you might even make a profit.

And yeah, he must have just changed it. An EMG 81 in the neck position will have a lot more bass and be warmer than an EMG 81 in the bridge position. It retains the characteristics of an 81 though, and won't sound as warm as a 60 or 85 in the neck. This is why people make guitars with two 81's... if they sounded identical, people wouldn't bother with the neck pickup.
^^ Fair enough I just never though of putting two 81's in one.

and I may just look into that before I paint them tonight to see what the price difference is, I really want to give painting them a go for some reason
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01
Here's a pic of my trans red Schecter Damien Special FR with white pups in it to give you an idea of what it would look like. I love how it looks myself.

Last edited by Way Cool JR. at Jan 7, 2014,
Thanks ^^ I went ahead and did mine up in white, did some cleaning did some sanding on the metal ect.. ect.. and its been about 7 hours but I'm finally wrapping up the first portion got it all back together and in tune but my bridge pup isn't working so In the morning she's coming back apart to check the pins I suppose
Gear
Schecter Hellraiser
Custom Built Les Paul
Ibanez Rg5ex1
line 6 DI-silver
Bugera 6260
line 6 spider ii

To Set The Ocean On fire

Quote by classicrocker01