So I'm a Beatles fan. A big Beatles fan. My guitar teacher is also. I've been playing for almost 10 years now, and I'm getting close to the skill level he is. He doesn't really give me lessons anymore, I just record music I write and covers. But I wanted to take a break and have him show me a new song. He shows me Drive My Car. I knew the whole song, just maybe missing a fill or two. He shows me those fills, and then says I'm playing the solo wrong. I thought, hey maybe I just had a note or two off. But no, he plays this solo that sounds nothing like the song. I reluctantly learned his way, because I didn't want to tell him his way was wrong. He said he had been listening for 30 years now and he picked up on small stuff I haven't. But I learned it, and at certain points I'm playing, while in the song Paul isn't even playing. This solo is just blatantly wrong. But he takes pride in his Beatle knowledge, and I'm sure he wouldn't be happy about an 18 year old saying his way is wrong. Do I tell him, or just master it and get it over with? He isn't usually wrong, not that I can tell at least.
Lol, ever heard of a discussion? Are you talking about the same version? There are a lot of songs recorded in multiple ways. Listen the song together and play the solo based on what you hear. if you are not playing the same, just discuss the differences. You should step up for yourself.
yes. be a dick.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
bro record both, and play them for him, and compare to original.

if he still likes his better then agree, and play yours anyway.
or find a new teacher.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah sounds like you need to find a new teacher. i dont know what else you guys learn, but if you are an equal player to him and are clashing, its not working. go find yourself a teacher that is flat out better than you that you respect.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by GuitarL91
Lol, ever heard of a discussion? Are you talking about the same version? There are a lot of songs recorded in multiple ways. Listen the song together and play the solo based on what you hear. if you are not playing the same, just discuss the differences. You should step up for yourself.

I agree with this, did you just say nothing when he said you were wrong? If there are different versions of the songs/solo neither of you is wrong per se. What you should have done was had him listen to your version of the song at the time (phone, iPod, Internet etc.) so he could see why you felt he was incorrect. If by next lesson you have moved onto a different song I wouldn't bring it up though, it just won't look good.

Your skin must be made of wet tissue to think someone correcting a mistake is rude or dickish (assuming you do it politely) For example if someone says irregardless they are affixing the negative prefix "ir" to "regardless,"but as "regardless" is already negative, it's a logical absurdity. If I don't say anything they walk around sounding like an idiot forever instead of feeling like an idiot for a few minutes. Kind of like The Emperors New Clothes.
What you need is a new amp.

Tell him by text with a smiley at the end and maybe a 'lolz'
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
We're all still learning, even your teacher.

Have you asked him to teach you about these differences he's picked up on that you haven't?

Don't just accuse him of being wrong, simply tell him why you believe you're right (there is a subtle difference there) and ask him to explain why he hears something you don't (or vice versa).

The answer above about difference versions is also pssible true - bands like the Beatles would usually record several versions of each song, so the chances are the differences can be explained by one of you listening to the single, another to the album.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd ask him to point out where his bits are played. If you're learning the solo there's only one version, aside from live versions. get a video of them playing it and compare.

If he's wrong then he needs to know, but be cool about it.
Bring the recording in and listen to your teacher play the solo with it. It's possible you're misinterpreting something and playing a lick at the wrong time. The solo is dead easy, I'm pretty sure I picked it out just listening now - I can't imagine anyone with lots of experience would screw it up.

You say there are places where Paul isn't even playing, but Paul doesn't even take a quarter note's rest in the whole solo.

You could also record yourself playing it and let us tell if you're playing it correctly.
Last edited by cdgraves at Jan 7, 2014,
I'd let him walk down abbey road and find myself a new teacher. If you are or even think you are as good or better than him, than he is no longer any good for you. Either find a teacher that's way better than you, or spread your wings and fly on your own. I'm not saying never talk to the guy again, but as far as payed lessons go I'd be done with him. jmo
If you can't have an open dialogue with your teach I'd recommend a new one. Being able to talk freely is pretty important when it comes to receiving instruction.
Quote by Ampghost
Why hold back? Tell him your true feelings.

Hahaha idk why but this was unbelievably funny to me.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
It's often happened to me that I know one version of a song and the student knows another, just say which version you mean exactly - which album? The radio or album version?
Ask him why. He's your teacher, not someone to smile smugly at and say "I know this one little thing that you didn't, despite the tremendous amount of knowledge you taught me".
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
I don't think there is any harm in telling him you think you maybe right on this one, I reckon just be tactful, don't go in giving it you are blatantly wrong and I'm right, just say something like I've been playing it both ways and then listening to the recording and the way I'm hearing it sounds really similar to my interpretation, or something along those lines. I can understand your reticence in some ways, let's be honest there are one or two quite large egos out in guitar land and something as simple as honestly stating that you think your version might be more accurate may well lead to WW3.

I recall hearing an interview with Jon Lord not long after Deep Purple had reformed and he said something to the effect that they had spent a long while arguing amongst themselves over what key Highway Star should be played in. I remember being really surprised because I thought that they would remember the major stuff like what key the tunes were in, maybe argue a bit about some of the smaller stuff like some of the notes in a solo or fill or something but when the guys that wrote it are struggling to remember how they used to play it originally I thought obviously even the greats don't always remember or recall everything note for note. I've also seen Keith Richards say that sometimes they would argue over what key a certain tune was in. I don't think an honest difference of opinion should be kept to yourself, as someone else said you never stop learning, in this case your guitar teacher may well learn something from one of his students, he should be open enough to accept that, and if he isn't then it's time to move on and find someone else.
Quote by dropb81
I'd let him walk down abbey road and find myself a new teacher. If you are or even think you are as good or better than him, than he is no longer any good for you. Either find a teacher that's way better than you, or spread your wings and fly on your own. I'm not saying never talk to the guy again, but as far as payed lessons go I'd be done with him. jmo

Pretty bad advise to be honest, not saying this is the case for OP, but there's a lot of cocky guitarists out there who think they're better than a lot of others when they really aren't. Having the approach that if you think you're better than him, you are, will just lead to conflicts in the future, and you coming across like a douche.

Dayn knows what's up.
yeah you should but how do you know is playing wrong if he/she is your teacher?
Last edited by madguitarskill at Jan 21, 2014,
Well, teachers are generally supposed to teach you/help you with techniques and whatnot. I don't think they're there to learn songs from. Which, i would say, is partly because of this.

But that's besides the point. Why don't you record/video yourself playing each version (the one you learned yourself and the one he taught you), show us if you want, and we'll compare them both to the original. Or, simply just do that yourself. If you've got different ways of playing it or you don't think it sounds right, don't let him force you to play it a certain way. Ofcourse, there's an 'official' way of playing each song, and that's the way the original artist plays it, but there's no rule book that says that particular song always has to be played that way.

Things like solos are pretty distinctive. They're generally sharp sounds, so you can hear each individual bit of it. It's not hard to notice a difference in two version of it, or if you're playing it wrong/differently. He's either partially deaf, or chooses this way, for whatever reason it may be. Is it completely wrong? Or just slightly off?

How did you learn it before going him to get taught it? Using tabs on here? Or by ear? Or what?
I'm not insane, i'm not insane.
Picture this.

Your guitar teacher is probably also in a band. a band that might cover the beatles,
I'm a beatles fan and I go to this concert by your guitar teacher.
He then proceeds to play the (allegedly) wrong solo.
Me being a beatles fan, also knows the solo.

I'm going to stand there like: "wtf is he playing? why is he raping such a perfect solo"

you can prevent this from happening TS. the power is in your hands!
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
This thread doesn't make any sense. Seriously how can your teacher be playing the solo wrong? Do you know how many different ways a solo can be played maybe that's just his interpretation of the solo from the song.. I have a question for you have you learned the song by ear or tab? Just because of the fact that there's 100's of different tabs out there for the same exact solo. The only way you're going to be able to exact version of a song is by asking the artist all the notes he played.
Quote by Black_devils
This thread doesn't make any sense. Seriously how can your teacher be playing the solo wrong? Do you know how many different ways a solo can be played maybe that's just his interpretation of the solo from the song.. I have a question for you have you learned the song by ear or tab? Just because of the fact that there's 100's of different tabs out there for the same exact solo. The only way you're going to be able to exact version of a song is by asking the artist all the notes he played.

The notes are the notes are the notes. All the information you'd need is in the recording, unless something is actually inaudible. In this particular song, the solo contains like less than a dozen different notes.

Anyway, I think the thread starter checked out as soon as he started the thread.