I need some amp advice. Any help appreciated.

I have a Les Paul Studio and a Marshall DSL15, both I love(although the DSL can be a bit too bright at times) currently, I'm in a school band which requires me to be able to is change from clean to overdrive/distortion based sound quickly without touching the amp. I know that a footswitch for the amp would switch the channels, but I also have heard that some people just play clean and then use a distortion pedal on top of it. Which would you recommend? My budget is 20-40 dollars, thanks.
With that budget, definitely the footswitch. Really good dirt pedals are pricey.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I do both. Actually, footswitch, two overdrives and an EQ. That gives me more versatility. But, what ^ he said.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
foot switch on that budget.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
The footswitch
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
in almost any situation, for your base tone, using the channel on a tube amp will be better 99% of the time. if not, the amp sucks or you have it set wrong. people layer overdrives, boosts, etc on top, but most cases a pedal will not sound as good as an amp.

there are some REALLY nice pedals that come at a REALLY nice fat price too. from a playing perspective you will notice that 99% of distrotion pedals do ot have the dynamics and feel that a real amp delivers.

if you have a two channel amp, please use both channels. or however many channels there are. i would LOVE a 3 channel amp. hell, give me 4 or 5 channels. and a footswitch for each. and assignable boosts in each channel. i can garantee you i can find a use for every setting.

and it may take about 2 or more pedals off my board.

this is one reason why systems like AXE-FX are so popular, or the Mesa Mark V is so awesome.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Yeah man the DSL15 is a nice amp. Use that distortion the amp has as much as you can. I mean that's why you got a Marshall right? That being said,you can def find an overdrive type pedal used on craigslist for $40 but it would only be to give you a little boost on the 2nd channel.

Maybe you can look for an EQ pedal to bring the mids down a bit but then again, that why you got a Marshall. Great mid & bright range. Do you have any YT vids of your band? Maybe that would help define the sound you have and what your after?
Thanks for the feedback from you guys, I think I'm gonna go with a footswitch, does it matter what brand it is or are most the same?

Also, sorry no vids, but we just play whatever the band direction wants (usually simple 90's rock or his obsession with led zep.)
They're all the same. The footswitch itself does nothing beyond tell the amp to change the channel, so there's no sound difference. Internally they're all a cheap switch in a cheap housing. Even if it breaks you could replace all the components for a few dollars.