My guitar playing isn't what I want it to be. I can only alternate pick 16th notes at 130bpm. and literally that's ALL I practice. I practice 6+ hours a day. during the school week I can usually only fit in maybe 3-4 sometimes a little less.

My parents take away my guitar whenever my grades drop below a C. Now they're threatening to take them away at a C....I've already been accepted to college, and I know I'll keep the acceptance with at least C's in my three core classes. Why can't my parents see this?

My mom doesn't like the fact I want guitar as a future. And she thinks i'm better at clarinet....because of how much she takes the guitar away and how little progress over the past year my alternate picking has gotten....ive been playing guitar for almost 6 years now

I keep doubting myself ill ever make it. I'm not doing anything but guitar in college. And possibly grad school. But with so little improvement in my playing and my parents always being on my ass, idk how to make the best of it....

Anyone go through though times and pull through? Just so I know i'm not alone. I had a band mate who could shred it up and BIG TIME. and hes been playing guitar for the same amount of time I have. I know with the right amount of practice time it's not far away and I've gotten way into it...just I need to know how to stay motivated.
Last edited by McZaxon at Jan 6, 2014,
1) It's not all about speed....just ask your girlfriend.
2) All things in due time. If college is the key to you future then learning to balance guitar with school now will help you in college....not to mention your career and marriage(s)
3) If you are majoring in music or guitar then you have an excuse to work on that instead of some core requirement hoop drill at the end of a senior year in high school ( I am a high school teacher....I know you have a condition commonly known as senioritis).
But more to your question:

We've all been through tought times. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Just practicing the same crap over and over doesn't make you a better guitar player. Playing x number of 16th notes at y bps doesn't measure competence. Learning to function in as many musical situations as possible is more important than any of that stuff. Without actually playing songs and drills with backing tracks or others live you will never progress as a musician.

Change what you are doing to change what you are getting.
Quote by mbself73
3) If you are majoring in music or guitar then you have an excuse to work on that instead of some core requirement hoop drill at the end of a senior year in high school ( I am a high school teacher....I know you have a condition commonly known as senioritis).

Yes, this is true (senoritis)...but speed I where I want to be as a player...I just wish my parents could see that...but they still think acing English is the way for me to succeed...
Quote by mbself73
But more to your question:

We've all been through tought times. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Just practicing the same crap over and over doesn't make you a better guitar player. Playing x number of 16th notes at y bps doesn't measure competence. Learning to function in as many musical situations as possible is more important than any of that stuff. Without actually playing songs and drills with backing tracks or others live you will never progress as a musician.

Change what you are doing to change what you are getting.

okay, thank you so much for your input.
From my personal experience, I'd say take a break from practicing speed, and focus on something else, or slow your picking down, way down, and focus on the minute details of your picking.

If you can't break through a wall, go around it.

Disclaimer: You are farther ahead playing wise, but practice is practice, so I think my advice still has some value.
Quote by McZaxon
Yes, this is true (senoritis)...but speed I where I want to be as a player...I just wish my parents could see that...but they still think acing English is the way for me to succeed...

There's the problem right there, although speed may be "where you want to be" that's only because you don't understand enough about the instrument to know any better.

Nobody will ever care about how fast you can play something as much as you do, other guitarists won't care but crucially any non-musicians won't care two hoots. If you have any hope of becoming a competent guitarist that people will happily sit and listen to, or even better pay to listen to, then you have to move "speed" way down your list of priorities.

Also your parents are right.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I remember once browsing tons of fan-questions on Marty Friedman's website (Yes, I was very bored), and actually alot of the persons there asked the same question that you're asking now. You can only guess what his answer was..

Doing nothing in school and college won't get you far. A career in music is full of insecurities. In fact, it's far from something that you should completely rely on - unless you're insanely talented. That being said, I think it'll be definitely worthwile to invest some serious time in school. You can still practice guitar and make good improvements, but you'll always have something to fall back on.

(Note: this is not a direct quote).

Also, this might be a bit offtopic, but would you care to share your standard practice routine? Because I feel it's not the problem how much time you're investing, but the way you invest it.
baab
Quote by My Last Words
Doing nothing in school and college won't get you far. A career in music is full of insecurities. In fact, it's far from something that you should completely rely on - unless you're insanely talented. That being said, I think it'll be definitely worthwile to invest some serious time in school. You can still practice guitar and make good improvements, but you'll always have something to fall back on.

Well it's not quite as straight forward as that... you can't make yourself have a career playing original music, that much is pretty certain, but you can make some decent money if you're willing to branch out to more than just that.

Playing in a covers band for functions and such is one of the most secure ways to make money by actually playing music, you can session for people (although that is apparently not as good as it used to be), you can teach...

You have to be willing to do a lot and you have to be much more than just physically capable but it's definitely possible to make a reliable wage in music. You just have to be willing to not only work but go through some financially tough times to do it.

TS: Work harder in school. Trust me on this one, if you don't it will make everything harder later.

Also: stop making speed a goal. That's probably part of the reason you're not getting anywhere, your focus is way too narrow. Become a well rounded musician, the speed is the least important part of anything you will ever do.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
NOTE: Everyone's advice here is really good and you really need to consider what we're all saying. I didn't read what everyone said, but what Steven said in particular about putting speed right at the bottom of your priorities is very nice. It took me a good 2-3 years or so before i had a sort of epiphany that speed is meaningless without context and that it just comes with time.

Don't worry man, you'll probably grow out of the whole rockstar thing. I was convinced it's what i wanted to be in high school. like.. REALLY CONVINCED. I grew out of it though. Guitar isn't a race either, so stop chasing speed and comparing yourself to others.

As for school though, i don't want to be an advocate for calling school stupid but i feel that the pressure they put on kids in school is way too unnecessary.. i understand some want to get into good universities etc but there's other ways to do it (at least in Australia there is). I did ****ing awful in school because i just didn't try and i was really xhardcorex, yet here i am 21 and studying psychology even though i did awful in school.

I also think it's VERY important to take this into consideration:

Every single one of us has times where we can't be motivated, and if you're forcing yourself to stay motivated then you're not playing guitar for the right reason.
If i am not motivated i simply don't play, and when i do get motivated again (and i always do get motivated eventually) i pick up my guitar and i usually enjoy playing it more than ever.
Last edited by vayne92 at Jan 7, 2014,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Well it's not quite as straight forward as that... you can't make yourself have a career playing original music, that much is pretty certain, but you can make some decent money if you're willing to branch out to more than just that.

Playing in a covers band for functions and such is one of the most secure ways to make money by actually playing music, you can session for people (although that is apparently not as good as it used to be), you can teach...

You have to be willing to do a lot and you have to be much more than just physically capable but it's definitely possible to make a reliable wage in music. You just have to be willing to not only work but go through some financially tough times to do it.

The question is, how willing is TS to branch out to more than just playing originals (Let's just assume that playing original songs is TS's primary focus)?
baab
Quote by My Last Words
The question is, how willing is TS to branch out to more than just playing originals (Let's just assume that playing original songs is TS's primary focus)?

That's entirely a discussion between TS and their bank manager
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I know it's tough man. Being a teenager isn't easy and I'm not being sarcastic. However, enjoy the fact that ALL you have to do now is work and by work, I mean go to school. That's #1 priority. Yeah, if you really want to give music a try then leave HS and head over to NYC or LA and try to make it in the biz. You can always get your GED & show that to employers if you don't "make it". Ok, that's being sarcastic.

Unfortunately, if your parents are providing for you then you must listen to them. Period. You just need to work harder at pleasing them so you can get your way as well. Does that make sense? They don't want the worst for you, they want the best despite you thinking you know what that is. Appreciate your life now because before you know it your an adult and trust me, that sucks compared to being in HS.

As for the speed. I can only point you to one if the greatest guitar movies besides crossroads.

http://youtu.be/99R0rJsqEOc

Let it breathe man...let it breathe.

JA
I'm having motional problems.. with my guitar playing. Where do I go next? What should I learn?
Quote by jamesiles2004
I'm having motional problems.. with my guitar playing. Where do I go next? What should I learn?

Based on your recent posting history it's quite possible that the answer is "everything".
The only way people can really help you is if you post a recording of yourself playing, ideally a video. That way people can judge for themselves whether or not you can do the things you think you can do and offer appropriate advice.

Create your own thread for that though, it's rude to hijack someone else's thread.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Based on your recent posting history it's quite possible that the answer is "everything".

Quote by Jargapix

http://youtu.be/99R0rJsqEOc

Let it breathe man...let it breathe.

To be honest, I really didn't find both solo's to be all that memorable. In fact, if I were to choose between the former and the latter I'd probably go for the first one, but oh well.
baab