Hey guys, im turning 19 in a couple of weeks, and decided im going to treat myself to some new stuff. I really want to increase my sound pallete and am open to all suggestions, my current rig is, knockoff tele with good pickups, an epi sg 400 custom, washburn wi26, a squier tele, I gutted and made a single hb in the bridge, and an 80s yamaha acoustic. Pedal wise I use a boss me-70 and a eqd monarch. This all runs into my peavey classic 30.

so guys, I either want a new guitar or some new pedals, stuff to really enhance my sounds. Ive been considering an epi es 339 and a line 6 dl4, but really dont know if I want another guitar, what do you guys think I should get? I play rock, blues, funk, and spacy noise indie stuff.
4 electrics and 1 amp? With $600 I'd personally pick up another amp off the used market. I mean, how many new sounds are you going to get out of another guitar into the same amp?

What kinda tones/genres are you looking to expand into? You can land a nice amp in about any genre... you could get a Vox AC-15c1, Peavey 6505+, or a Jet City JCA2212C and have enough cash in hand to upgrade the pickups on one of your guitars. Or you could sell one of 'em and combine that money with what's left over from the amp and buy a better guitar?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
sell a squier and the classic 30 and pick up a new amp.

and if you're going to buy a your first moogerfooger it should be a mf101 (LP Filter) or the mf102 (ring modulator), not the 105.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
sell a squier and the classic 30 and pick up a new amp.

and if you're going to buy a your first moogerfooger it should be a mf101 (LP Filter) or the mf102 (ring modulator), not the 105.

With moog prices, I was thinking his first would also be his last, and IMO the 105 is the most interesting
The classic 30 is my second favorite amp, I've owned a couple mesas, and played some fenders, a rockerverb is the only other amp I would want, I'm talking sound pallet as in different sounds, not necessarily different tones, things I couldn't do before, I just want some interesting ideas for pedals or a guitar, maybe a completely hollow guitar to get crazy feedback out of, or a fuzz wah, some fun stuff to add.
However the 105 is awesome. I'm looking and a rainbow machine and organizer right now though.
Quote by Flux'D
4 electrics and 1 amp? With $600 I'd personally pick up another amp off the used market. I mean, how many new sounds are you going to get out of another guitar into the same amp?

What kinda tones/genres are you looking to expand into? You can land a nice amp in about any genre... you could get a Vox AC-15c1, Peavey 6505+, or a Jet City JCA2212C and have enough cash in hand to upgrade the pickups on one of your guitars. Or you could sell one of 'em and combine that money with what's left over from the amp and buy a better guitar?

This, no question
^yeah, then he can join a beatles cover band.

Quote by 7thString
With moog prices, I was thinking his first would also be his last, and IMO the 105 is the most interesting

i have the 101, 102, 105 and 107. i actually bought the 105 first and use it the least.

of course this will completely depend on what you want, but for me the ring modulator got all the analog synthy bloops and bleeps i wanted complete with UFO landings.

if you play keyboards or like processing drum loops then i'd recommend the 101 to anyone.

the 107 is great for mono synths (i even used it on theremin) as an extra oscillator, and crushing any signal into an awesome analog mess.

the 105... it's great from rhythmic patterns on long sustaining instruments with complex harmonic structure, but if you use it on something like a sine wave then too many automations sound dead cuz there is no frequency to accentuate. and if you use it on something that doesn't sustain out then you miss many automations and don't get all the cool rhythmic stuff.

in other words i always feel like i am playing for the 105 whereas all the other pedals i feel i can bend them to my will. might just be the limitations of my knowledge of imagination. but seeing as the 105 is one of the more expensive MF's then i tend to recommend a cheaper one that is [imo] more easy to use.

the newer 105's have all the syncing midi stuff too, that would be handy to put the cycles on a clock.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
That makes a lot of sense, I've never actually played any of the moogs. Wana sell me your 105?
I love the DL-4, offers a bunch of nice delays. It would be good for all of my delay needs, but I like to have a delay that's at the edge of oscillating out of control(which the DL-4 can do, but not quite how I like it) and a delay with infinite repeats without oscillating.

Semi-hollows are cool too. Pair that with a looper and you can use the body for percussion sounds

I feel like you would get a kick out of the Boss PS-3/PS-2/RPS-10, or the Red Panda Particle Delay if you like the Rainbow Machine. All weird delay/pitch effects that are fun to mess with but also have tamer settings

Oh! maybe a fuzz would work for you, or some other types of dirt to go with your Monarch
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Jan 7, 2014,
Quote by gumbilicious
^yeah, then he can join a beatles cover band.

Yeah, but you know the whole of GG&A would have a coronary if I suggested something other than a Vox.
I can get some great blues and classic rock tones out of my AC30.
I might be the odd one, but I've tried two ac30s, and don't like them, our friend Greg nearly strangled me over not wanting to use his hand wired on our single, I just don't like that sound.
Okay so I'm going to check into Fuzzes, different mooger foogers, and delays, anybody have any good delay\looping choices?
Fuzz? I love my WayHuge Swollen Pickle. About $100.

Delay? I like my DD-6 (A DD-3 or DD-7 would be another option.) Personally, I', interested in an MXR Carbon Copy. From what I hear its pretty common but has a "darker" sound because its analog, iirc.

If you want a simple looper/single phrase sampler/trainer, a TC Electronics Ditto is good. You can record tons of loops in a single go, but can only remove/add the top most loop; the one you just did. Digitech also came out with a JamMan Express XT, which from the little I've read, is similar to the Ditto.

If you can find a Line 6 DL-4 in good condition, used, take a look at that one. I wouldn't buy one new. The build quality isn't like what you'd find in a Boss pedal, for example.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame