Pretty simple question, I have a Jensen Mod speaker in a Peavey Valveking. Overall I'm pretty happy actually, the only problem is headroom. It can't get too loud before it starts breaking up. The Jensen has an efficiency of 94.3db. I've seen speakers well over 100 before, would that make a significant change? I've never really had the chance to experiment for myself.

Another thought,
I really really like the tone of the speaker. If I were to use it conjunction with a closed back 1x12 with a high efficiency speaker could that get me a decent volume without completely drowning out the Jensen?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
When you go more than 3dB difference the lower sensitivity speaker tends to get covered by the higher dB rated speaker.

Yes putting a 99+ dB speaker will make the amp louder, head room refers to the power section
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
94 dB sensitivity rating? that is probably one of the most honest sensitivity ratings i have ever heard of. usually they exaggerate sensitivity ratings.

i would say a louder speaker may help, but i'd hate to be too adamant about it. best thing for you to do is go to a store with another cab and try it out. you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a 1x12 with a V30 in it at a standard guitar center type store.

also, try raising that amp closer to ear level. it can make a difference
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Well by making it louder I would essentially have more headroom. Turn the volume to the threshold of clean, the power amp is still clean but it comes out louder than before.

I have a 1/4>spade speaker cable to take care of that problem with the external cab. The Classic Lead 80 looks like it could be a good choice. I'm also thinking about selling the amp, another SS amp I have and the Jensen Mod then getting the 2x12 Valveking. Should be able to break out even pretty easily.
I'll probably try and go try out some cabs when I have the chance. Cleans are important to me though, not sure if V30 is best for that.

And yes they are absolutely horrid. It sounded metallic, incredibly thin and somehow also managed to be muddy. Put the Jensen Mod in it and the difference was absolutely incredible.
^ I don't like v30s for cleans.

Quote by tas38
(a) Pretty simple question, I have a Jensen Mod speaker in a Peavey Valveking. Overall I'm pretty happy actually, the only problem is headroom. It can't get too loud before it starts breaking up. The Jensen has an efficiency of 94.3db. I've seen speakers well over 100 before, would that make a significant change?

(b) Another thought,
I really really like the tone of the speaker. If I were to use it conjunction with a closed back 1x12 with a high efficiency speaker could that get me a decent volume without completely drowning out the Jensen?

(a) Yes, probably. I have the little 6" MOD speaker in my Fame Tube 5 (sensitivity ~ 91dB IIRC) and it's very quiet compared to "proper" guitar speakers with sensitivities in the high 90s or low 100s dBs. So yeah I reckon it'd make a pretty big difference. 3dB is normally noticeable (say a greenback or g12t75 versus a g12h30 or v30), anything much more than than is normally very noticeable indeed. At least with everything else being equal (which it rarely is).

(b) probably not, no. as you suspect yourself, the lower efficiency of the jensen means it's comparatively fairly quiet, so if you put a louder speaker alongside it it's liable to drown it out. Maybe not totally, it just depends on a variety of things, but at best it's going to sound (more or less) like a 2x12 with two different speakers in there (a mixture of the two speakers' tones, in other words). At worst you might only hear the louder speaker.

Best bet would be to try to figure out what style of speaker your MOD is, and see if anyone else makes a more efficient speaker of the same style. Maybe email jensen? Maybe they offer another louder speaker with a similar tone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 7, 2014,