So I know the general consensus to a post like this is "mess around with your own rig and see what works best for you". However, my amp and pedals are all at my practice space and with my busy schedule and a kid I don't have time to go over and tweak with EQ and pedal arrangements for hours so I thought I'd throw my setup out here and see what kinds of comments and suggestions people might have to help me get the best tone out of my rig.

First of all, the sound I'm going for is a bluesy, classic rock sound that can go from clean to overdriven. Most of what I play is riff-based rather than chord based. I play both rhythm and lead. My band used to play a lot heavier stuff but we don't anymore.

Guitars: LTD EC-1000 with Seymour Duncans, '52 Tele Reissue

Amp: 1981 Marshall JCM 800 2204 (50-watt). Presence at 3 or 4; Treble, Mid, and Bass at 10. Amp runs into a Hot Plate and then into a 2x12 Mesa Recto Cab with V30s. I plug into the clean (low) channel.

Pedal Chain Order (all powered by a VL Pedal Power):
Planet Waves Tuner - Vox Clyde McCoy Wah - Doobtone Micro Buffer - Maxon OD808 (Keely Modded) - MXR 10-band EQ - MXR Phase 90 (Script Mod) - H2O Chorus/Echo

Info on the pedals:
Vox Clyde Wah: I only use this for lead and I'm tempted to get rid of it in exchange for a Crybaby. To me, it just doesn't sound great. It squeals at times, is really clunky, and most people say I'd get a better sound out of a Crybaby or Morley
Doobtone Micro Buffer: I got this thing to preserve my tone through the pedal chain and it was cheap. I think it's at the right place in the chain.
Maxon OD808: I use this to add gain and distortion since I play through the clean channel. To me it sounds slightly tinny and trebbly and doesn't give me quite the ballsy, bluesy overdrive I'm looking for although people swear by them.
MXR 10-band EQ: Stays on all the time. I don't use a very dynamic setting but I like the boost it gives my tone
Phase 90: Don't use it much anymore. I might replace it with something else
H2O Chorus/Echo: Use it for a slightly psychedelic tone that I use for a couple of our songs. Works well for that although I wish it repeated more than once. At some point I might get a delay and replace this one.

The pedals I've thought about adding are a Fuzz (probably a fuzz face or a big muff) to add some more textured distortion and sustain to my riffs and/or a reverb since the Marshall itself doesn't have reverb. I really need something I can use to boost my lead tone because when I play lead in the middle of a song I don't usually hit any pedal other than the OD808 (which is often already on) or the Wah for a couple songs.

So looking over this, I'm wondering if anything jumps out to anyone as "Whoa, what the heck are you doing there?" or "You should try this out" in terms of the amp settings, pedals,and/or pedal arrangement.

Thanks for the critique and suggestions.
It seems that a lot of people get sick of their wah, because they hear it so much. I have a standard crybaby and it didn't take long.. The fatwah mod http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod1.htm is really simple and provides a massive improvement to the sweep sound IMO. Also the crybaby buffer is pretty solid and if its first in your chain then you probably won't need the doobtone.

Other than that, perhaps try using the eq before your maxon, or since you have the hot plate, try using the standard 'boost setting' on the maxon (gain 0, level/vol max, tone to taste) to get your amp to naturally overdrive. (may require plugging into a different channel, I've never played a JCM800)

Also, fuzz's generally aren't great for riffs IMO, particularly muffs where any more than two notes at once can start to sound pretty ugly. To answer your main question, there isn't really anything that jumps out to say "what the heck are you doing?", and truth be told, forum advice will only get you so far and the reality is that you probably need to find a couple of hours to experiment with the gear you have to find the sound YOU like. The potential is certainly there. Hope this helps.
Quote by 7thString
It seems that a lot of people get sick of their wah, because they hear it so much. I have a standard crybaby and it didn't take long.. The fatwah mod http://www.diyguitarist.com/DIYStompboxes/WahMod1.htm is really simple and provides a massive improvement to the sweep sound IMO. Also the crybaby buffer is pretty solid and if its first in your chain then you probably won't need the doobtone....

This is ALWAYS the first mod I suggest for the Crybaby.
And that has come up numerous times.
There are many mods for the Crybaby, but the Fat Wah mod makes the biggest single difference by a long shot.

That and...
VOX AC30

Edit:
Also, you may want to check out the Foxx Tone Machine or one of its many clones for fuzz.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Jan 7, 2014,