so today I was setting up my guitar so it didn't buzz anymore. the buzzing was occurring mostly on the 8-12 frets. I checked the neck and its almost perfect to where I set it .I adjusted my bridge and then intonated it again. my top e string is almost half a cm from my 12th fret. to give u a better idea , I put one of my picks on the fretboard on the 12th fret. its about 1/6 of the height of my turtle pick. the only reason im asking is cuz im pretty sure my string height is about average and that's almost the miumum height for there to be no buzzin picked up by the amp. it also makes bending a tad harder but not to the point where it really bothers me . I noticed this while play walk. anyway my string gauge is 52-10. im in drop d tuning , and I have a schecter syn gates custom ( don't bother to waste your breathe with immature comments) so it has a Floyd rose so I imagine heavy strings will require a higher action than a tom bridge if im not mistaken.
Attachments:
PIXECT-20140107001509.jpg
I believe string height should be .078" for the low E string and .063" at the high E on the 12th fret. Make sure your neck is dead straight too, especially after a re-string.
Last edited by Punisher23j at Jan 7, 2014,
Dead straight has no neck relief.

For good setup and less string buzz,
neck relief is needed.

Neck relief is a slight forward bow in
the neck to allow the natural bowed
movement of the strings.

Sense the relief is slight, it takes some
practice to detect the proper amount
of relief needed.

As far as the question is concerned,
string height is a personal preference.
If you have a light touch, then you can
get by with lower action,

Tabdog
Last edited by tabdog at Jan 7, 2014,
Always start by making sure that your frets are level.
You can't count on that from Any Production Guitar and especially from one purchased off the wall at a guitar shop. A good tech should be able to spot high frets quickly.

You'll never get a good setup if your frets aren't level -- you'll always be compensating for buzz.
Quote by tabdog
Dead straight has no neck relief.

For good setup and less string buzz,
neck relief is needed.

Neck relief is a slight forward bow in
the neck to allow the natural bowed
movement of the strings.

Sense the relief is slight, it takes some
practice to detect the proper amount
of relief needed.

As far as the question is concerned,
string height is a personal preference.
If you have a light touch, then you can
get by with lower action,

Tabdog

+1
I have my guitars set up for 4/64" on all strings. For me that works.

You'll have to convert that to metric.