Hello! I'm new here and a complete beginner guitarist. Sorry if I have posted this thread in the wrong section.

I want to ask that each chords of a song are played single or multiple times? Sorry for this silly question.
I know these chords formation but I don't know how to play these chords in the song below.

In these lines:
(Em)Sadi gali aaja saanu (D)chahan waliye
Tennu (G)ho..(D)kah marda phiran

The first chord (E minor) will be played one time or more than one time? I know these chords' patterns. How do I play these chords in this song? Do I have to play each and every chord only one time or more than one times?

Full song (Saddi Gali):
(Em )–(D)–(G )–(A ) x 2
(Em )–(D)–(G )–(A ) x 2
(G )Ik waari ( D)aaja door ( C )jaan wali( Em )ye
Tenu ( C )hokah ( D )marda phi( Em )ran
Ho tenu ( G )ho..( D )kah marda phi( Em )ran
(Em )–(D)–(G )–(A ) x 4
(Em )Lagdi tu kyun ( D)door da ( Em )khwaab
(Em )Lagdi tu kyun ( D)door da ( Em )khwaab
(A )Akhiyan cho ( D )wag pa( Em )yaan
Ab ( C)dil main lagana tere ( G)naal
(C)Dil main lagana tere (D)naal
(G )Rooh nu ( D )vasaja seene ( C)loun wali( Em )ye
(E ) – ( A ) [Following the same strumming pattern, strum ( E) through 8 beats and
then ( A) through 8 beats]
(E )Chitthiyaan ton ( B )mitthi teri ( A)yaad ( E )aayi
(E )Aaya ni ( A )sajna me( B )ra
(E )Kattiyaan jo ( B)raatan kalle ( A )bhul na ( E )paayi
(E )Dil vich ( A )vasna te( B )ra...
(G )Rab tennu ( D)maneya khair ( C )chahn wali( Em )ye

Thanks!
How does it sound in the song? Is it just one strum per chord, or are they strumming the chord until the next chord? Go from there. Try to listen to strumming pattern.
baab
I'm a beginner as well, but I think I can help with this question.

Is this the song you're talking about?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_HaezV0DqI

The best thing about playing accompanying chords to a song is that you can tailor how you play to your skill level. As a "just starting out" beginner, it might be best to strum your chords as whole notes (that is, 1 strum for every 4 beats (quarter notes), since your song sounds like it is in 4/4 time), switching chords in time with the music. This allows you to focus on chord transitions.

Then, as you start getting more comfortable with this, you can start focusing on adding rhythm to your playing. To start out with, this song has a driving beat on the quarter notes, you you can strum down on each quarter note, changing chords in time with the music.

After you get good at this, after listening a bit to the song, the basic rhythm could be enhanced by playing on the up beats (eighth notes) as well as the down beats.

Key:
(D) represents a down strum
(U) represents an up strum (move your pick or fingers up the strings of the guitar to play the notes)
(-) means don't play anything here, just let the previous sound ring out.
| represents the end of a measure (grouping 4 quarter notes together for a 4/4 song)
... means continue this rhythm until the end of the song.

Just starting out, try playing whole notes (1 strum per 4 quarter notes) like this:

(D) (-) (-) (-) | (D) (-) (-) (-) | ...

Basic Rhythm, try this (strum each quarter note):

(D) (D) (D) (D) | (D) (D) (D) (D) | ...

Try adding up beats as well as down beats (strums here will be represented as eighth notes, half the amount of time as the quarter notes represented in the previous examples):

(D) (-) (D) (U) (D) (-) (D) (-) | (D) (-) (D) (U) (D) (-) (D) (-) | ...

Hope this helps!
Last edited by GeetarGal at Jan 9, 2014,
Totally depends on the song. I think GeetarGal offered some good advice on how to layer in the complexity. You may also want to look at some online guitar lessons, just to get a better idea of rhythm and chords, and how they work together. I'd suggest JustinGuitar.com beginner lessons (http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php). He's a great teacher. As for a simple all down 4/4 rhythm, look here http://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-116-Basic44time.php.

Take it nice and slow. As you get more confident, and develop the ability to recognize rhythm, you'll be able to come back to this song and spice it up with fancier playing.

Hope you have a great time learning to play the guitar!