I was hoping you guys could help me better understand what I am looking for, so here is some background information.

Current gear

Peavey Valveking 112 Combo with a Warehouse 30 speaker installed.
Ibanez 540R
Ibanez RG3EX1

I was looking to buy a used ESP LTD EC-1000 with SD JB and 59 PUPS. I was also thinking about getting a used PRS 24. I am not crazy about tremolos.

Now, I am not sure if what I am looking for in terms of great sound is a different guitar or a different amplifier. I feel maybe the change that I am looking for is to get my first "grown-up" guitar that has outstanding tone. But perhaps I should be looking at amplifiers or pedals? Can you guys help me out? I am looking to play stuff ranging from Hendrix to Satriani to Phish to Opeth to Lamb of God, so I am hunting for a variety of tones. My budget caps out at $600 USD

I appreciate any help!
V
Fellow UGers seem pleased with that amp in general:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/peavey/valve_king_112/

Now, I personally own a Fender HRD 1x12 combo, and I use it for nearly everything, but I find it isn't quite up to delivering convincing some of the metal tones I want. So I'm looking for something like a smallish Orange combo amp.

Are you looking for a particular tone your Peavey & Ibbys aren't delivering? Or is it an across-the-board kind of dissatisfaction you're experiencing?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
$600 gets you a used Egnator or Jet City head and a 2x12 Cab. Or a Fender Twin. Or a used AC30. Or a lot of other great amps.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Fellow UGers seem pleased with that amp in general:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_amplifiers/peavey/valve_king_112/

Now, I personally own a Fender HRD 1x12 combo, and I use it for nearly everything, but I find it isn't quite up to delivering convincing some of the metal tones I want. So I'm looking for something like a smallish Orange combo amp.

Are you looking for a particular tone your Peavey & Ibbys aren't delivering? Or is it an across-the-board kind of dissatisfaction you're experiencing?

I can get a rough match for tones that I search for with 540R. The guitar feels great in my hand, has great features and can pick up some wonderful harmonics, but it has fret buzz in various spots and frets out. I've had it set-up before, but I wont be refretting that guitar. I really don't want to risk anyone screwing it up.

The RG3EX1 is really just for when I don't have enough time to deal with a floyd rose, because the edge on my 540 is always in need of adjustment. I don't think I'll buy another FR guitar unless this one craps out for good.

How does the hot rod treat you? I've recently started playing Fender amplifiers (at stores) after spending a few years avoiding anything associated with the $$$$Fender/Gibson$$$$ duo.

I guess you could phrase it as a general dissatisfaction.
It sounds like you have a couple of things going on, then. Time to shop...patiently.

You probably need to find a new workhorse to retire your 540R, but a new amp may indeed be what you need first.

What do you want to play, most of the time?

My HRD treats me very well. It does 90% of what I want because it delivers stellar cleans, it is a perfect starting point for tonal modification via pedals, etc. for blues, surf, R&R, prog...you name it.

Except when it comes to metal. Like a sheep in wolf's clothing, it just doesn't convince.

And I imagine its pretty much the same with any of the amps I liked that ALSO deliver those kinds of cleans- certain sub50w Vox & Carvin tube combos.

In contrast, the Egnater and Jet City JustRooster suggested won't clean up as nicely, but will deliver much better tones for hard rock/metal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 7, 2014,

You might find the Godin Velocity to be a suitable replacement for your 540r. Here are a few on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XGodin+velocity&_nkw=Godin+velocity&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And Fernandes is currently selling a limited number of its guitars- like this Sustainer-equipped Retrorocket Pro- from its direct-sales site at deep discounts:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/78-retrorocket-pro.html

(If you really don't want a trem, I have other ideas.)

Quote by dannyalcatraz
You might find the Godin Velocity to be a suitable replacement for your 540r. Here are a few on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.XGodin+velocity&_nkw=Godin+velocity&_sacat=0&_from=R40

And Fernandes is currently selling a limited number of its guitars- like this Sustainer-equipped Retrorocket Pro- from its direct-sales site at deep discounts:
http://www.fernandesguitarshop.com/retrorocket/78-retrorocket-pro.html

(If you really don't want a trem, I have other ideas.)

The most serious application I have for my gear right now is to play alongside my drummer in long jams. We don't play other bands' material anymore because we are trying to come up with our own stuff. When I have my VK over there, we will usually run through alot of metal material. I am using a borrowed Music Man 112 amp, which has been pushing me into a more bluesy, classic rock and funk direction during these jams. I thought that would show you how I am really trying to play alot of different stuff. If I was asked though, I am a metal guitar player.

I am not looking for a tremolo guitar at this time, but I looked at the guitars you posted. The Godin doesn't look bad at all, but I would have to play a guitar before I bought it. Also, I don't think I've ever really played a maple or poplar guitar so I would definitely want to sit down with such a new kind of beast. The Fernandes sustainer system is, of course, renowned, but why stick it in something that looks like a Squier?

The 6505 sounds like a metal amp's metal amp haha. Mesa Boogies have always been my dream amps. What do you think comes close to a Mesa Mark IV or V without having to sell off all of my belongings?
The Fernandes sustainer system is, of course, renowned, but why stick it in something that looks like a Squier?

Well, 'cause they put it in at least one version of everything they make.

I hear ya about try before buy, though. It's not how I roll, but there's nothing wrong with it.

The (discontinued) Velocity is one hell of an axe. Shredder's neck & hot HBs...it might be a little brighter than you're used to. Godin doesn't do many "metal" guitars, but when they do... They have an inexpensive ($500-600) guitar called the Redline HB- essentially a hardtail little brother to the Velocity.

Fernandes, OTOH, has aimed virtually their entire company's production line at hard rock & metal. And many of their axes are hardtails: I own 2 Ravelles myself, and would love to get a Dragonfly.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 8, 2014,
I'd take it to a tech for a set up perhaps, it should deal with most of your guitars issues minus fret damage. I'd look into the mesa f series/dc/express if your guitar just needs minor repair you should be able to fix it and get a new amp.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
So I just had the chance to play an EC-1000. It could have been set-up wrong or maybe I am used to the Ibanez neck, but the neck felt too slow and uncomfortable. I tried the 6505 as well with the EC-1000 Cherry. The 6505 was pretty good. I was more impressed when I took a low range Ibanez (comparable to my RG3EX1) and played it through a Vox AC15 AC1. Definitely a fun amp to play with, but I don't know what I would do with it if I were in a heavier mood. Is that an amp that cooperate with distortion effects?
I should also say that I was thinking about finding a used introductory-level PRS to try and sample. The next time I visit the local GC, I plan to check out that HRD.