Poll: This past year, how have you made the majority of your music acquisitions?
Poll Options
View poll results: This past year, how have you made the majority of your music acquisitions?
Paid analog (CD/vinyl/cassette)
15 58%
Unpaid analog (Ripping/burning CDs/cassettes)
0 0%
Paid digital (iTunes, Amazon MP3)
6 23%
Unpaid digital (Torrent, Blogspot)
12 46%
Voters: 26.
spotify..or its free
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
I buy CD's mostly unless I can't find the artist I'm looking for, then I buy it digitally...
I'm a collector so I like to have tangible evidence of music collection :P
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
I used to buy all my music on CD, until all the music stores in my area shut down. Sometimes I'll still order CDs through Amazon if I can find them for really cheap, but most of the time I just buy on iTunes these days. I really do miss having physical copies of my albums though...it's not the same experience when you can't sit down and read through the lyric book while listening to the album, IMO.
There is exactly one way to purchase proper Metal.

LP/CD/Tape or fuck off and die
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by VampireGoldfish
There is exactly one way to purchase proper Metal.

LP/CD/Tape or fuck off and die

That reminds me...do any of you have any suggestions for avenues of ordering CDs for reasonable rates? I live in western Canada.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Tape these days. But I spend more of my time with demo than with full-lengths so it works out.

Quote by NABEF9

That reminds me...do any of you have any suggestions for avenues of ordering CDs for reasonable rates? I live in western Canada.

Best Canada.

I'm not sure what you mean though. Hell's Headbangers & NWN! usually aren't too concerned with trying to make bank. Shipping costs are fairly low.
I'd much rather buy a download from Bandcamp than a CD at this point. If I buy a CD, I rip it to my computer and leave the disc sitting around to collect dust anyway, so since I'm not taking advantage of the disc and the packaging, why bother with it?

Note that this ONLY applies to Bandcamp, however, since they offer the music in multiple formats (including FLAC). iTunes and Amazon downloads can **** off.

My preferred format, though, is vinyl. Unlike a CD, I'll actually use a vinyl record even if I have a digital copy.
Quote by Scourge441
I'd much rather buy a download from Bandcamp than a CD at this point. If I buy a CD, I rip it to my computer and leave the disc sitting around to collect dust anyway

Don't you have a stereo or cd player of some kind?

I wish my car had a tape deck.
Quote by severed-metal
Best Canada.

I'm not sure what you mean though. Hell's Headbangers & NWN! usually aren't too concerned with trying to make bank. Shipping costs are fairly low.
Yeah, I've looked at them before but I remember shipping costs were more than I was willing to pay through NWN!, and HH doesn't have much that I want to buy.
I just checked out the NWN! site again, and for me to get a $5 CD shipped to my home, I will have to pay $14 in shipping costs. I honestly can't justify it.

Quote by technicolour
I wish my car had a tape deck.
You speak for us all.
Quote by technicolour
Don't you have a stereo or cd player of some kind?

Yeah, but why use it when I can just hook up a computer or an iPod to that same stereo? Having my entire library available on one device is much, much more convenient than having to dig through a pile of CDs.

Granted, vinyl is even more inconvenient, but the benefits - which I admit are mostly experiential and have nothing to do with the sound quality, but which I find are real nonetheless - outweigh the inconvenience.
I only buy cd's now, with the occasional download. I still listen to and prefer vinyl though( most of the time).
Quote by Scourge441
Yeah, but why use it when I can just hook up a computer or an iPod to that same stereo? Having my entire library available on one device is much, much more convenient than having to dig through a pile of CDs.
Especially when considering the fact that you don't have to burn copies of the CDs that you want to listen to for your car, or worry about them being stolen from said car, or have to pick which six CDs you want for the changer at home, or wonder whether your s/o put the right disc back into the right case...

There are a lot of benefits to going digital, that's for sure. But IMO it is nice to know that you have the physical copies somewhere, even if it's just in a box in the basement. But honestly for me, these days I can find the albums that I want for cheaper on iTunes than I could find them on CD (even used), and I know that, unlike buying used, the money (or at least some of it) is going to the artist. Plus, when ordering CDs, there's a wait time for the album to arrive, and if buying used, there's no guarantee that the disc will be in the condition you expect it to arrive...
In the end, for me, the benefits of digital outweigh the benefits of physical, even though I've taken a while to come to terms with it.

I really just wish things were how they were five years ago, with CD stores in every mall.
I love vinyl but I don't really have the space to set up a record deck at the moment so I buy everything on cd. I increasingly tend to buy direct from labels too.
Bought a shit tonne of cd's but I've also heavily got into blogspots, good way of finding albums I woudn't otherwise of bothered with.

I'm ashamed to say some of the albums I downloaded from those sites are ones I should of really bought... but eh... I'm not gonna pretend it's okay.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
At the moment it's lack of funds, but I'll have some soon. It's on my "to do" list.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Also arguably until recently a lot of the albums I'd want weren't available any other way for me.

The Mutoid Man album just come out on bandcamp and the cd's never shipped outside the US, so piracy was my only option!

It's now only $5 online so I have little excuse, I recommend them if you like Stoner/Hardcore.

Quote by DisarmGoliath