Greetings wise men of UG,

I seek guidance in buying my super recording interface for my electric guitar. As said in the buyers guide thread and pretty much all over the internet, the budget card to go is scarlett ones.

But, what is the difference between 2i2 and 2i4 ? In the buyers guide thread it says "Please not that the 2i2 is not the same as the 2i4. The 2i2 does not have a pad button for the inputs, which is often necessary when recording guitars DI.".

Can someone explain for a noob like me what does this mean ?
Thank you for your time, cheers
Last edited by dandos at Jan 7, 2014,
It means if your source is hot (see; very loud) then you can hit a pad switch that will lower the overall decibels without affecting the tone. This is especially useful with active electric guitars/basses, where rolling down the volume knob so as not to overload the interface will negatively affect the tone of your instrument.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
It means if your source is hot (see; very loud) then you can hit a pad switch that will lower the overall decibels without affecting the tone. This is especially useful with active electric guitars/basses, where rolling down the volume knob so as not to overload the interface will negatively affect the tone of your instrument.

This is exactly the problem and I had and am GLAD I went with the 2i4. I have to use the pad switch going directly in with my guitar because it was too loud. I think it's worth the extra $50. I think there is one more thing you also get with the 2i4, although I can't remember what.
Quote by dogismycopilot
This is exactly the problem and I had and am GLAD I went with the 2i4. I have to use the pad switch going directly in with my guitar because it was too loud. I think it's worth the extra $50. I think there is one more thing you also get with the 2i4, although I can't remember what.

If I had to guess what the extra feature is, I'd guess that it's 2 extra outputs. Most interfaces use the same naming convention, where it's (inputs)X(outputs) so 2i4 would be two in, four out. That gives you a second stereo output for headphones and your monitors to be on separate volume controls. This is useful for DJ cueing, and generally not going crazy while flipping between reference sources.

Just looked it up...yep, that's the difference. WELL worth $50 extra for either of those features, but having both for an extra $50? Don't be a fool, take that deal.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
As has been said the Pad is a button that lowers the volume (in the 2i4's case it's -10dB I believe). I have the 2i4 as well and I can't record DI guitar without the pad. I have to have the interface's gain at practically nothing even WITH the pad on to record my LTD EX50 guitar or Yamaha RBX 355 bass.
Just visited my local guitar store, looking for a 2i4. The sales man (who is a great guy by the way, I'm sure he wasn't just out to convince me) told me they only offered the 2i2.

Now, with the advice of all you great UG people in mind, I hesitated to go with the 2i2. I don't care too much for the extra outputs, put cutting short on the PAD button seems like a dangerous move to me. In his answer, the sales man pointed out that the 2i2 has a gain button. According to him that gain button will not affect the tone, but I'm rather sceptic.

Can anyone tell me if the gain button is a sufficient tool to prevent clipping? Still in doubt between the 2i2 and the 2i4.
It has a gain knob, which is what he's talking about. Unfortunately this gain knob often does not go low enough to prevent clipping with many moderately hot running guitars (e.g. my EX50 clips with the interface gain at 0 without the pad).
Ahh. I also found answers to my questions here. Definitely gonna go with the 2i4.
Thanks guys!
Seems like you guys already answered the question. I'll still add a final point for 2i4; it's definitely superior and worth the additional investment. I'm definitely happy with mine.

Cheers!