I'm very familiar with the blues scale.
When its discussed anywhere its discussed in relation to the major scale, I,e. it takes the makoe scale, removes the 2nd & 7th, flatten the 3rd and add a b5 giving

1, b3, 4, b5, 5, 6

That's ok, but my problem comes when trying to incorporate the standard 7 note scale to expand my solos and lead.

So let's say im playing A minor blues. I find incorporating notes from the A major scale sounds wrong. Also, using the A minor scale doesn't totally fit.
But A Dorian fits quite well.

But A Dorian Is really G maj.

So, I'm asking, when playing minor blues, and want to expand, should I play the maj scale over it, minor, or strangely, the Dorian over it?
okay blues scale is the minor pentatonic scale
1 b3 4 b5 5 b7(they removed the 2nd and 6th added b5)
if you want to use the 2nd and 6th i recomend you use the major 6 as the minor 6 is very not bluesy feeling and the major second so you end up having
1 2 b3 4 5 6 b7
which is pretty much dorian
you can also use the major 3rd
1 2 3 4 5 6 b7 which is pretty much mixolydian

but i wouldnt think of it in terms of dorian or mixolydian or whatever and just put them all otghether into one big bluesey sort of framework consisting
1 2 b3 3 4 b5 5 6 b7

which is pretty much all the notes but the b6 and the b2 (which are more minor than bluesy sounding) and the leading tone which sounds best when played on the V chord of the progression but feel free to use them and experiment on your own using bends and passing tones and whatever

and theres no SHOULD in music
only what you like and what you want to do
Last edited by supersac at Jan 7, 2014,
Quote by schmintan
I'm very familiar with the blues scale.
When its discussed anywhere its discussed in relation to the major scale, I,e. it takes the makoe scale, removes the 2nd & 7th, flatten the 3rd and add a b5 giving

1, b3, 4, b5, 5, 6

That's ok, but my problem comes when trying to incorporate the standard 7 note scale to expand my solos and lead.

So let's say im playing A minor blues. I find incorporating notes from the A major scale sounds wrong. Also, using the A minor scale doesn't totally fit.
But A Dorian fits quite well.

But A Dorian Is really G maj.

So, I'm asking, when playing minor blues, and want to expand, should I play the maj scale over it, minor, or strangely, the Dorian over it?

The Blues scale is based on the Minor Pentatonic: 1, b3, 4, 5, b7 and is played over progressions in either major or minor keys.

Think of Pentatonic scales as the 'skeleton' for the major or minor modes. The 'major' modes (Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian) all use 1, 2 , 3 , 5, 6 degrees out of the major scale (Ionian Mode) which is the Major Pentatonic Scale, and it's the 4th and 7th degrees that are altered (Lydian = major scale with #4th, Mixolydian = major scale with b7). The minor modes (Aeolian, Dorian, Phrygian) all use 1, b3, 4, 5, b7 from the natural minor scale (Aeolian Mode) which makes up the Minor Pentatonic Scale and it's the 2nd and 6th degrees that are altered (Dorian = natural minor scale with #6th, Phrygian = natural minor with b2nd degree)

Good luck
Are you playing Blues in A, or Blues in A minor?

Standard blues uses all dominant chords, while Minor Blues uses a minor i and iv.

You can rock the b6 all you want on the minor blues and it sounds great, but on standard blues it's just awful.

My rule of thumb for dominants is that you can always play the dominant arpeggio plus the major 6th (in major keys). In A, that's A C# E F# G, scalewise. The corresponding chord is an A13, which is totally normal.