So I have an Alexi-600 guitar. Amazing guitar I must say, but whenever I tune my strings and play for about 15 minutes or so, a certain string(s) will go slightly out of tune. I go to tune that string, and my other strings all down tune when I tune it up. And Vice Versa. My Low E and G string go out of tune more than any of the others and I've locked them down, and tried so many things and it's just frustrating. I've had my strings on for a few months so they are plenty stretched. If I whammy even just a little, they will all go out of tune immediately. I would understand if this was a cheap guitar, but it's not and It's very annoying. My other Ibanez stays in tune better and it's way lower quality. Any one have any idea why this is happening and what I could do to fix it?
The 1000 series floyds may just not be that stable. Floating floyds have always been a PITA in my book. I generally block them so they decrease pitch only.

Have you successfully tuned other floyd-equipped guitars in the past?
GMW hot-rod telecaster
GMW soloist
PRS Custom 24
The Illegal Les Paul
CAE 3+SE
Soldano SM-100R
Splawn 4x12

“Life is on the wire…the rest is just waiting” - Papa Wallenda
Substitute the stage for the wire, and he's got it.
Last edited by Even Bigger D at Jan 7, 2014,
I got it setup at guitar center (Not what you would call professionals, but better than I could do). And how do you block the trem?
you kind of want to make sure that all the strings are balanced against each other. with a bit of practise/luck you'll get to the point where all the strings are in tune- you can't tune one string and then pronounce "that's in tune" and then start tuning the next string, you have to tune each string and then check how close to in-tune the previous strings are etc. until they're all in tune. also you want to make sure the floyd is parallel to the top of the guitar.

Once you've done that (and the strings are stretched, which from the sounds of it they are) it should stay in tune. At least with a half-decent trem, which the 1000 is.

EDIT: If i've insulted your intelligence with any of that, I apologise. I have a shaky understanding at best of anything mechanical/guitar setups etc. so I'd rather tell you too much/stuff you already know than not tell you enough.

You could try checking the floyd setup sticky too, it might have some hints and tips.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 14, 2014,
Thanks, maybe I will check it out. But how do you block the trem, per se?
^ Put a piece of wood in the cavity in the back to fill the space between the body of your guitar and metal block to which springs are attached. The piece of wood will stop the bridge from moving forward, and to stop it moving backwards just release the springs a little bit. It worked great on my old guitar.
I had an Alexi-600 and I couldn't make it go out of tune if I tried. I'd try a new set of strings first off, get the trem nice and level, lock down the nut and the strings tight enough that they won't slip but not too tight as its not hard to shear the locking screw on the bridge. It should stay in tune. I actually preferred my Floyd Rose 1000 over the German OFR that I had.
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
The way I tune my Floyd 1000 is I sit there for about an hour, tuning/re-tuning.. adjusting the tension on the springs, and then tuning and retuning all over again, over and over... I keep doing this whilst staring at a tuner and watching to see when the guitar will stay in tune. Eventually it gets to a point where the guitar has gone from going out of tune by just bending a string to staying in tune whilst using the trem bar. I find it's all trial and error mostly. I have an edge pro trem and I do the same thing on that trem, but I adjust the action instead of the tension on the springs . Just one turn on the action on the edge pro and the bridge will switch from going 40 cents out of tune to staying in tune perfectly . That small adjustment to the action changed the string tension slightly and kept the guitar in tune .
Is it a new or a used guitar?

Smart money is on the locking nut not tightening down on the strings well enough, especially if it's specific strings that are going out.

Second option is that the strings aren't being held in the saddles tightly enough, for one reason or another.

I haven't had issues with a 1000 series yet (which isn't to say that it can't happen).
I block my trems down to dive-only, so I can tune to D for my bands. When they were floating I used to tighten/loosen the springs appropriately to make sure the tension was balanced. I never had any problems staying in tune.

If you don't pull up on them, blocking is the better option. This way the guitar stays in tune if you break one.