Hello all,

Would anyone happen to know if there exists a service online where I could donate or pay another person to develop a guitar tone based on providing them a couple songs to reference, along with listing my software/simulators?

Would I be better off I just went to a local music store and asked for help?

The reason why I ask is because I've had very little success generating a heavy guitar tone that I like. I figure someone with more experience could lend a helping hand.
Just talk to other guitarists and see what they are using; learn what's good and what sucks (I'm not saying to copy their rigs or anything) and figure out how you could apply it to your rig.

In my humble (and probably worthless) opinion, finding your sound is something only you can and only you should do. Otherwise, it's not your sound but an imitation of someone else's.

Maybe if you listed your current rig and posted this in EG or GG&A you could get some good starting advice. I'll report this to be moved and leave it to a mod to decide whether to move it or not.
Quote by Invader Jim
Just talk to other guitarists and see what they are using; learn what's good and what sucks (I'm not saying to copy their rigs or anything) and figure out how you could apply it to your rig.

In my humble (and probably worthless) opinion, finding your sound is something only you can and only you should do. Otherwise, it's not your sound but an imitation of someone else's.

Maybe if you listed your current rig and posted this in EG or GG&A you could get some good starting advice. I'll report this to be moved and leave it to a mod to decide whether to move it or not.

Right, if anything the tone that they generate would serve as a baseline. Copying someone else's tone is not honest.

What really limits me at this moment in time is that I really can't bring in any more equipment into the house... at least not until I get my own place. So I'm stuck with using simulators and software exclusively.
Last edited by VortexOfSouls at Jan 7, 2014,
What really limits me at this moment in time is that I really can't bring in any more equipment into the house... at least not until I get my own place. So I'm stuck with using simulators and software exclusively.

Still, tell us what you have. It may be that you're starting from the wrong point. If that is the case, it may be to your benefit to sell or trade some of what you have in order to get closer to your goal.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Still, tell us what you have. It may be that you're starting from the wrong point. If that is the case, it may be to your benefit to sell or trade some of what you have in order to get closer to your goal.

Okay, time for a massive post.

Fernandes Custom Built Strat
  • Seymour Duncan SHR-1 Hot Rails Stacked Single-Coil Pickup

Line 6 Toneport UX1: Gearbox v3.72.0
  • Amp model - 1990 Brit J-800 = Drive: 4, Bass: 3, Middle: 8, Treble: 2, Presence: 3, Volume: 8.5
  • Cab model - 4x12 1978 Brit Celest T-75s
  • Noise gate - Threshold: -31 dB, Decay: 75%
  • Stompbox - Screamer distortion = Drive: 87%, Gain: 87%, Tone: 50%
  • Microphone setup - 57 Off Axis (no early reflections)
  • EQ - GAIN/FREQ = -4.4/430, -12.8/330, -12.8/11.3K, -3.0/5.6K
  • Modulation - Sine Chorus = Post Configuration, Speed: 1.19 Hz, Depth: 71%, Bass: 27%, Treble: 47%, Mix: 41%

Images to make it easier to visualize

Ableton Live 8 Line 6 Edition
  • I don't think much needs to be mentioned here

Description of sound I'd like
  • Organic - nothing hissy or trebly.
  • Chunky, woofy, etc... like a dog growling or strings sounding like their being pulled out by the root.
  • A tone that mixes the guitar sounds found in these two songs: Evergreen by Dark New Day and Skeksis by Strapping Young Lad. Both songs have the aforementioned qualities.

It's really not even close to be honest with you. I'm thinking that I might have to upgrade since Gearbox is outdated by a couple years and Pod farm seems to have pretty solid metal models. But if it can be done with Gearbox please let me know regardless.

You can view my Sound cloud account here. Brother is my most recent track and AHTNF is a bit older.
Last edited by VortexOfSouls at Jan 7, 2014,
Not honest? I don't know about that. Some people have excellent tone, it's a homage and you'll either need very good gear or a lot of patience to create something so unique that it's yours and yours alone. If that's even possible.

I suspect you're over thinking it.
Clint Lowery used JCM800's in his Sevendust days, but for Dark New Day he played EVH and 5150's. Look for anything that'll give you that sound. For that broad and saturated chunk you're looking for, I'd try any preset amp that models a 5150 or a Dual Rectifier. Anything britished voiced is probably not going to get you the sound you're looking for.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Try this:
Amp: J-800 - Gain 8 > Bass 6 > Middle 5 > Treble 8 > Presence 5> Volume 6.
Cab: 4x12 Brit Celest V-30s > 11% Room > 57 Off Axis.

No pedals or EQ

Let me know what you think
I wish I still had POD Farm. I'm using Overloud TH2 as a VST, but having a stand alone was pretty rad. Less RAM and battery usage.
Quote by Mephaphil
Not honest? I don't know about that. Some people have excellent tone, it's a homage and you'll either need very good gear or a lot of patience to create something so unique that it's yours and yours alone. If that's even possible.

I suspect you're over thinking it.

Gah, not honest. I meant not authenticate. It feels slightly poser-ish. What's really coming back to bite me is the fact that I've spent the last four years writing music and have not focused at all on equipment or software.

Quote by JustRooster
Clint Lowery used JCM800's in his Sevendust days, but for Dark New Day he played EVH and 5150's. Look for anything that'll give you that sound. For that broad and saturated chunk you're looking for, I'd try any preset amp that models a 5150 or a Dual Rectifier. Anything britished voiced is probably not going to get you the sound you're looking for.

I really like Clint's sound in all his projects. I viewed a couple of videos for the Mark IV Mesa Boogie and really liked what I heard. Marshall amps just don't seem like they have a lot of give and take.

Quote by CorrosionMedia
Try this:
Amp: J-800 - Gain 8 > Bass 6 > Middle 5 > Treble 8 > Presence 5> Volume 6.
Cab: 4x12 Brit Celest V-30s > 11% Room > 57 Off Axis.

No pedals or EQ

Let me know what you think

The body is there, but it's too buzzy now. Thank you for your input though.
A Mark IV is a great choice. Get a good tube pusher in front and you're golden.
To me, it actually sounds like you have a bit too much gain in the mix. Possibly try lowering the mids a touch as well. It might help
Quote by seano554
To me, it actually sounds like you have a bit too much gain in the mix. Possibly try lowering the mids a touch as well. It might help

Thank you for the advice, but I've thrown in the towel with Marshall amps. They're not very flexible without the aid of a thousand effects...

Would anyone happen to know if POD farm 2.5 (regular, not free) would be enough to generate the tone I'm looking for? It does have a simulator based on the Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier...
ok your best bet is to put in the time. I use a POD XT Bean for recording and it takes a couple of hours (sometimes more) to get the tones decent. try combos that aren't usual for real world amps you'd be surprised. I tend to use the dual rec or soldano amps for the more metal tones. as mentioned turn down the distortion you need far less than you might think for recording purposes. no one else can develop your tone that's personal and your job. check my profile for a few of my songs. note that I use a SSS strat and still get a metal sound.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok your best bet is to put in the time. I use a POD XT Bean for recording and it takes a couple of hours (sometimes more) to get the tones decent. try combos that aren't usual for real world amps you'd be surprised. I tend to use the dual rec or soldano amps for the more metal tones. as mentioned turn down the distortion you need far less than you might think for recording purposes. no one else can develop your tone that's personal and your job. check my profile for a few of my songs. note that I use a SSS strat and still get a metal sound.

Something that I did not mention in my original post is that I've been messing around with Toneport and Gearbox for roughly seven or eight years. It's my fault for not researching other gear, but since I'm limited with what I can use (for a number of reasons I can't go into for the time being) this is why I'm reaching out for more "hands-on" help. But I will take a listen to a couple of your songs.

EDIT - I wouldn't exactly consider your tone to be "metal", but rather closer to "hard rock". I do agree with you on utilizing a dual rectifier since it has the capability of generating a cleaner distortion (if that makes sense). I've also noticed that when the gain is cranked up I hear more bite and hissing in the higher frequencies of the tone... so turning the gain down is a must in that regard.
Last edited by VortexOfSouls at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by VortexOfSouls
Something that I did not mention in my original post is that I've been messing around with Toneport and Gearbox for roughly seven or eight years. It's my fault for not researching other gear, but since I'm limited with what I can use (for a number of reasons I can't go into for the time being) this is why I'm reaching out for more "hands-on" help. But I will take a listen to a couple of your songs.

EDIT - I wouldn't exactly consider your tone to be "metal", but rather closer to "hard rock". I do agree with you on utilizing a dual rectifier since it has the capability of generating a cleaner distortion (if that makes sense). I've also noticed that when the gain is cranked up I hear more bite and hissing in the higher frequencies of the tone... so turning the gain down is a must in that regard.

metal is kind of a relative term. back in the old days (when I was young) the tones I use were metal or very hard rock. now of course with the down tuned stuff the new guys call the old tone hard rock. anyways less distortion when recording translates into better sound.
Quote by monwobobbo
metal is kind of a relative term. back in the old days (when I was young) the tones I use were metal or very hard rock. now of course with the down tuned stuff the new guys call the old tone hard rock. anyways less distortion when recording translates into better sound.

Good point, and well made. The newer detuned distortion is what I'm after - something that really "growls". In your opinion how would that word translate to a term (or method) that applies to effects, amplifiers, cabs, etc.? I'm thinking cleaner distortion would be easier to obtain if I recorded with a tube amp, or simulator based on a tube amp.
Quote by VortexOfSouls
Good point, and well made. The newer detuned distortion is what I'm after - something that really "growls". In your opinion how would that word translate to a term (or method) that applies to effects, amplifiers, cabs, etc.? I'm thinking cleaner distortion would be easier to obtain if I recorded with a tube amp, or simulator based on a tube amp.

my POD has a few options, like I said I use the soldano and dual rec settings the most. you have to experiment with the amount of gain used. recording results in saturation even digitally. using a bass helps to fatten up the tone as well when playing the same riff as the guitar. I spend a fair amount of time experimenting to get the sounds. recording with a real amp can be a pain in the ass and I haven't gotten results I'm happy with yet.