Page 1 of 2
I will be quick and straight to the point, I pretty much need someone's opinion on the top 5/top 3 pedals they prefer or think is essential for an average/above average guitarist.

ALSO: Before you recommend a distortion/drive/tremolo/reverb pedal, I already have some of those and they're really nice.

Thanks!!
Chorus, delay and wah
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Tuner
Wah
Tremolo/boost (thinking of the Fulltone Supa-trem here)
Well since you said you already have distortion, I'd say:

wah - lots of fun to use

compressor - works good to smooth out the volume changes as you sweep the wah from bass to treble.

chorus - just a nice effect to have with a clean tone
I didn't think of the tuner, that has to be number one and an EQ is something every board should have too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A compressor is a powerful tool live and in the studio.
Last edited by JustRooster at Jan 7, 2014,
Here's my picks:

1. EXH Small Clone: Described as an Analog Chorus but you can really get a spacey rotary effect out of it too.
2. Exotic EP Boost: This pedal will add ~+15 to +20db boost but also adds a significant amount of life to your tone. Magical
3. MXR Phase 90: Adds a little bit of flavor on a low setting.
Quote by Cathbard
I didn't think of the tuner, that has to be number one and an EQ is something every board should have too.

I tried snark clip tuners recently just b/c it was cheaper, but I actually like them quite a bit.
It depends largely on the style of music that you play but after covering dirt a delay would be the next best one to get, you can get a reverb effect with a short slapback too. After that I would choose one modulation pedal, phaser, flanger or chorus depending on the artists you like. My first boards were mostly copied from jack white, Matt Bellamy and jonny greenwood until I got an ear for what I preferred.
Quote by Marrowoflife
I tried snark clip tuners recently just b/c it was cheaper, but I actually like them quite a bit.
I have a clip tuner too (also a Korg) but it's useless on stage.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Reverb, delay, fuzz and loop pedal are the most important to me.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
the wah pedal is the one i really like to have no matter what. but if i had a pedal board with 3 pedals (and i had an OD already) i'd do

- wah
- vibe
- delay
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
If I had to grab 3 pedals and play just those, I would pick a delay, a fuzz, and something weird. If I had either a weird delay (like a Red Panda Particle) or weird fuzz with something like a feedback/drone switch, I would use a tuner pedal so I can A) tune, and B) Use it like a killswitch

Delay is nice because you can make it work in just about anything, and you can make weird noises with them if you need that too. Fuzz is good because it can get real mean but cleans up nice and can get really overdrive-y. Maybe not tubescreamer-ish, though.
Quote by chip46
Klon, Klon, and Klon

ftfy

-ae
Quote by chip46
Yeah I run:

Guitar > Klon > Klon > Klon > Amp > Klon > Cab

Klon straight into the cab you say?

Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Call me The Edge, but I can't live without my delay. After OD/Distortion and some sort of volume boost for live playing, got to have my delay. On clean, dirt, solos... mmm.

I might go buy another one right now...
Big muff, vibe, delay. I can cover an awful lot of ground with those 3 pedals.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by chip46
Well yeah, how else would I achieve maximum toan levels?

Wait, I see what you're saying...two Klons into the cab! Brilliant!

What you really need is...
Guitar > Klon > Klon > Klon > Amp > Effects loop Send> Klon > Klon > Klon > Klon > Effects loop Return > Klon > Klon > Klon > Cab > Mic > Klon > Klon > Klon > PA IN > Klon > Klon > Klon > PA Speakers.
^well now you are just getting silly

-ae
Quote by gumbilicious
^well now you are just getting silly

Sorry.
I meant :
Guitar > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > Amp > Effects loop Send> DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > Effects loop Return > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > Cab > Mic > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > PA IN > DS-1 > DS-1 > MT-2 > PA Speakers.
Quote by CodeMonk
Sorry.
I meant :
Guitar > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > Amp > Effects loop Send> DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > Effects loop Return > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > Cab > Mic > DS-1 > DS-1 > DS-1 > PA IN > DS-1 > DS-1 > MT-2 > PA Speakers.

Tuner, wah, noise suppressor

If you have a pedalboard, for go the wah and get a multiple out power supply.
I've gradually evolved to tuner>boost/od(+fuzz or even stacked fuzz sometimes)>delay/looper.
I sing too though so I just go straight into my amp when performing. I like it raw live, good picking dynamics do just as much to the sound/vibe as any pedal. IMO
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I don't really think there are any effects that are essential for everyone regardless of style.

Except maybe an EQ but considering I don't have one it would be disingenuous of me to say you NEED to have one.

Personally, the three effects I don't leave home without are Fuzz (specifically a Big Muff), Phaser, and Delay but that's just me.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Jan 8, 2014,
I personally just like plugging a Klon straight into a Klon and running that into a p.a.

No guitars or amps to muddy up my tone.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by total_pegasus
I will be quick and straight to the point, I pretty much need someone's opinion on the top 5/top 3 pedals they prefer or think is essential for an average/above average guitarist.

ALSO: Before you recommend a distortion/drive/tremolo/reverb pedal, I already have some of those and they're really nice.

Thanks!!

your playing skill really doesn't matter much as far as taste in fx. what is essential is what you need to achieve your sound. it really is a matter of personal taste. what works for me might be to much or to little for someone else.

OD, Wah, Delay, Phaser is what I personally run
overdrive, reverb / delay (depending on which ones many overlap in function), wah.

or overdrive/distortion/fuzz, reverb, wah, tuner, boost

why?

overdrive is useful for literally every setup.

delay will never go out of style, some are crazy and allow a lot of creativity

reverb IMO is essnetial to sounding bigger, sounding vintage, or perhaps sounding all indie and ambient... or perhaps some "delayed" solos for shorter, more echo-ey settings

wah will also never go out of style. dont know what to do for a lead? turn your wah on. wah can change your tone and in some cases hide innacuracies in playing so that you can pull off a Slash solo in an acceptable fashion but not actually be Slash

fuzzez and distortion - depends on setup. very useful i dont care what amp you have.

tuner - if you play live you need one. end of discussion. if you dont, it still makes your life easier. ive never lost it, it sits on my board, in my room. my guitars are always in tune before i strike a chord. end of discussion.

boost - literally endless uses of boosting other pedals, boosting your preamp, clean boost for solos. probably one of the most versatile pedals you can buy.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Last edited by ikey_ at Jan 8, 2014,
Depends. Does a Tuner count as one? If so thatd have to be first on the list.

Tuner, overdrive and reverb for me but a lot of amps can do two out of three of those things.

A good delay pedal never goes amiss either
Tuner
OD
Delay
Wah
Chorus
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Tuner
Compressor
OD
Fuzz
Delay
Noise Suppressor

That is my current setup and I can get every tone that I need/want.
Page 1 of 2