I'm sort of in the market for some pickups that aren't super hot and more in the medium output range. The way I run my amp, my single coils are nearly squeaky clean (there is the slightest breakup with a heavy hand), but my Charvel drives it into quite heavy breakup. I don't want to necessarily have the same clean response, but less breakup would be nice. Yes, picking dynamic and volume changes on the guitar work, but I feel like the guitar drives too hard and sounds a bit too modern with those pickups anyway.

I was thinking a set of Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs or Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates would help me out here. Any suggestions or opinions? I've done everything, including playing with the pickup heights. I basically want a medium output response with more of a vintage snap to them.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Last edited by sg4ever at Jan 8, 2014,
Hmmm, I like my bridge pickup raised a bit. It makes it sound less dark and more clear, but it's just too hot to be that close the strings. I'm just looking for clear bite, but with the ability to get creamy sounding for leads. These pickups are sort of all or nothing. They're not bad for stock pickups in a cheap guitar, pretty good actually. I just feel like they would be better for an amp with more headroom and a different overdriven texture (Orange Rockerverb, Marshall DSL, Mesa Boogie, Vox AC30, etc.)...not a 15 watt EL84 amp...
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I think your Pearly Gates idea is a fine one.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
what pups in the charvel?
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)