Hi,

I would like to know your preferred way of amplifying the guitar in a live situation.
The band I am in plays all kinds of gigs, from birthday parties to weddings. Up until now I have been amplifying my guitar through my guitar amp ( Peavey Classic 50 ).

I am wondering if it's preferred to mic the guitar amp into the PA system to get an overall sound and mix the guitar correctly with the other instruments?
If your playing with a combo or smaller amp yes, its pretty much a given if you're playing moderately sized venues.
What sounds best to you? That is your answer
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What sounds best to you? That is your answer
Problem with that is that he can't hear front of house.

It is always preferable to have some guitar coming through the PA to get a better spread of sound. However, you have to turn up your amp loud enough so you can hear yourself over the drummer (or get feedback if you use it) so often that translates to being loud enough that you can't really turn it up in the FoH without screwing up the mix.
Best way to do it is to mike up everything and let the sound guy decide what he is actually going to turn up in FoH.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I run a 2x12 and head in most of my live situations, and I still bring an SM57 to run to the sound guy. Basically for the reason Cathbard said above, you never know how it sounds out there entirely. If the guy running the board thinks he could use more in the PA's he has that ability. They're there to make you sound better (in most situations).
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Cathbard
Problem with that is that he can't hear front of house.

It is always preferable to have some guitar coming through the PA to get a better spread of sound. However, you have to turn up your amp loud enough so you can hear yourself over the drummer (or get feedback if you use it) so often that translates to being loud enough that you can't really turn it up in the FoH without screwing up the mix.
Best way to do it is to mike up everything and let the sound guy decide what he is actually going to turn up in FoH.

I know, I was hoping that TS would realize that also. Iguess I could have worded it a bit better

If TS does not have a sound guy, one of the guitarist or bassist with a wireless should do the sound check.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah. I gave up on playing without a sound guy a long time ago. We employ our own guy that we give a cut from the take. Playing without one is a recipe for disaster.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification