Page 1 of 2
...and change one thing. What would it be and why? It could be something in your own life or something like killing Hitler.

Personally I'd go back to just before the battle of Milvian Bridge. For those unfamiliar with this battle it was fought between Emperor Constantine and his brother in law Maxentius. Basically what happened was Constantine looked up to the sky before the battle and saw a Christian symbol and took it as sign and converted to Christianity on the spot and made all of his troops draw the symbol on their shields. Now Constantine won the battle and put it down to his conversion even though from memory a five year old could've won the battle and as a result he makes Christianity the official religion of the Roman Empire and well the rest is history as they say. But anyway I'd go back and stop Constantine from looking up to the sky and seeing the symbol. Chances are he still wins the battle and Christianity never gains a footing.
It most likely remains an underground cult. My reasoning for this is that if Christianity never becomes a thing thing about how many lives could have been saved over the years. For example the Crusades would never have happened and also think about how technologically advanced we would be if the church hadn't persecuted scientists as heretics during the middle ages.
I agree that Christianity has caused a great number of deaths - not just the Crusades, but the Inquisition, Catholics vs Protestants with all the burnings...

However, a couple of issues.

Firstly, without Christianity, there would have been no Pilgrim Fathers running away to the Americas...
That may have turned out for better, or for worse...

Secondly, let's look at slavery - Wilberforce I think (can't remember properly, but I think) was motivated by his Christian duty to try to end slavery. So without Christianity, that would not have happened, although the slave trade was already happening in Roman times and the trade would probably have grown as it did in our history.

Thirdly, religion hasn't always stopped science and education. It's quite ironic, but it's often overlooked how much it has contributed to those - for example in Britain many schools used to run by churches/chapels. It was monks who kept writing alive and recorded history... So your point on that score is a little invalid. Perhaps our scientific level would be lesser than it is now.

My final point is: why choose Christianity? If you stopped Judaism you'd have stopped all Abrahamic religions (i.e. Christianity & Islam too), so even less (religious) violence and bloodshed throughout all the years surely?
We are but falling leaves
To be honest the idea of trying to change anything major in the past like that is a bit ridiculous (not least because it's impossible) because really who knows how different the world would be?

The world would be nearly unrecognisably different, and to assume that would be for the better is just baseless. We have literally no clue in the slightest what the world would be like if we changed ANYTHING in the past.
I'd go back in time to just before gareth southgate missed that penalty against Germany, kick the keeper in the bollocks and travel back to that night in 96 and not cry myself to sleep as a 6 year old
Quote by Burningritual
I'd go back in time to just before gareth southgate missed that penalty against Germany, kick the keeper in the bollocks and travel back to that night in 96 and not cry myself to sleep as a 6 year old

You'd be better off kicking Kuntz in the balls so it didn't go to sudden death.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Quote by AcousticMetal99
My final point is: why choose Christianity? If you stopped Judaism you'd have stopped all Abrahamic religions (i.e. Christianity & Islam too), so even less (religious) violence and bloodshed throughout all the years surely?

Mainly because I'm not too familiar with a single point in the founding of Judaism or Islam that I could possibly change.
Quote by Draken
Depends on what i can take with me.

Nothing but condoms and a bottle of lube.
Quote by DardySon
Nothing but condoms and a bottle of lube.

Hiho hiho it's off to woodstock i go.
I wouldn't try to change any major plot in history, because I believe details get lost to time and things may not be as they appear,but there is one event I would change in my own life, even though I imagine my life would have turned out much worse by doing so. Few years ago, I was a pedestrian that got struck by a car at about 35 mph. I had a 20% chance to live, and obviously, I did, or I wouldn't be typing this. But it left me injuries that have never truly healed, pain that doesn't go away, trauma related issues, memory loss. I deal with these things, but it took a lot out of me. Change is inevitable, but I kind of feel robbed of the life I had and it's not a life I'm ever going to get back. It took away a lot of the things I love. I'm not exactly bitter about it, but I'm not exactly happy either. I guess I've accepted it but still wish it never happened.
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
I saw Pantera live once, Dime changed into a body bag right there on stage.

I wouldn't, simply because it's impossible to predict what kind of effects even the slightest alterations would have. Lrn2 chaos theory.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
I don't want to change major historical events because I have absolutely no idea what the results would be.

if I were to change something in order to benefit myself and affect no one else, it would kill my mom, so...
cat
Quote by DardySon
My reasoning for this is that if Christianity never becomes a thing thing about how many lives could have been saved over the years. For example the Crusades would never have happened and also think about how technologically advanced we would be if the church hadn't persecuted scientists as heretics during the middle ages.

Without the Crusades, there would have been no scientific revolution in the Western world for the church to persecute anyway. We'd all still be shitting out of windows, bathing in rivers and building out of mud.
Without the Crusades, the best kept secret would have lain in artificial irrigation; feeding thousands of people thousands of miles from the oceans and major rivers.
Castles would not have been built, rulers would not have had the insight they did. Trade routes would not have been established, and without the British Empire being as it did, the world would not be anywhere near as connected as it is now. You certainly wouldn't be an Australian.
As much as I share your apparent disdain for organised religion, taking it out at the root would be the biggest detriment to society. Humanity was built on religion. Science is just the next step to blind worship, they're not so different.
id just go back and make sure my dumb ass knew that my life was just gonna get way worse than i thought it would, so make sure to take advantage and make the most of it before that happens
Quote by SkepsisMetal
Without the Crusades, there would have been no scientific revolution in the Western world for the church to persecute anyway. We'd all still be shitting out of windows, bathing in rivers and building out of mud.
Without the Crusades, the best kept secret would have lain in artificial irrigation; feeding thousands of people thousands of miles from the oceans and major rivers.
Castles would not have been built, rulers would not have had the insight they did. Trade routes would not have been established, and without the British Empire being as it did, the world would not be anywhere near as connected as it is now. You certainly wouldn't be an Australian.
As much as I share your apparent disdain for organised religion, taking it out at the root would be the biggest detriment to society. Humanity was built on religion. Science is just the next step to blind worship, they're not so different.

To be honest I view myself as being more British as all of my family are English. Besides that you do make some good points though.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
id just go back and make sure my dumb ass knew that my life was just gonna get way worse than i thought it would, so make sure to take advantage and make the most of it before that happens

Amen to that. I'd only want to go back to points in my life to do things differently/better.
Lotto tickets all day every day.

or I'd tell SRV not to get in that helicopter.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
i'd go back and take a major chance i didn't years ago. because i didn't do it my life is stagnant and i'm a miserable bitch.
ayy lmao
become my own great great grandad
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
become my own great great grandad

incestion!
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Make sure I invested in stuff so that I become rich, force the 2 year-old me to start playing guitar,piano, drums and singing and conquer the world.
To answer the question, I think I'd change my degree slightly. I mostly took it up out of frustration at not being able to find a stable job being stuck at my parents house 30 miles from the nearest town. But I didn't choose a sensible career path.
I think I'd do something more like structural or mechanical engineering rather than audio engineering.
Besides making large bets/lotto tickets? I'd want to save JFK.
Whats goes around must come down
1. you go back and stop something from happening
2. it never happened
3. you would have no reason to change it in the future
4. you don't go back and stop it from happening
5. it happens
6. you would then have a reason to change it again
7. rinse and repeat ad nauseum
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by captainsnazz
I'd go back in time and stop agent K from dying

Alternatively, I'd go and give Bach a macbook, and hopefully when I got back RIM wouldn't be a thing any more.

the hell is RIM?
I'd go back and make that "If I Could Turn Back Time" song by Cher and be a one hit wonder purely just for the irony.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
I'd give my 12 year old me a list of do's and don'ts so that I don't cringe when I think of my past self. Or I could give 7 year old me a guitar, so that I'd be a little better playing it by now.
I'd go back to the beginning of life itself, when the first tiny strands of protein began to interact with one another productively, and kill it.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I'd go back to prevent Brutus from stabbing Caesar. Imagine what the Roman Empire would have looked like, and how hard it would plummet.
I'd explain the theory of gravity to Isaac Newton
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Planet of the Apes 3-5, I'd do all of those things. I'd be Roddy McDowall.

EDIT: Changed my mind, I'd love to go back in time and watch my parents conceive me over and over again
Israel is a terrorist state.
Last edited by JD Close at Jan 8, 2014,
I'd either find a way to stop the Dark Ages or make sure Tesla became famous instead of Edison.

I would also consider going to the Library of Alexandria and saving all the texts that we lost right before they were burned.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2