Hey guys I have a bit of a problem with the DAWs I've been using (Studio One and Reaper),

I'm running a Behringer Xenyx 802 that's sending to my Behringer U-Control 202, which is plugged into my computer via USB. The mixer supports two instrument/xlr inputs, of which I have a dynamic mic on input 1 and an acoustic electric on input 2; I'm also using ASIO4ALLv2 as a driver.

For some reason, neither Studio One or Reaper will recognize either channel separately. Instead, when I put a track enabled for only input 1 and another for input 2, both will recognize and pick up both lines. I've tested this by muting the tracks individually and testing playback through the software's output, but still, my 1 input still picks up my 2nd input.

Conversely, if I only want to record my guitar(2nd input), my mic(1st input) will end up on the mix. I'm a bit confused, admittedly this stuff is kind of new to me. Any suggestions? Is it because I'm routing through Ucontrol?

Thanks guys . I'm sorry this is kind of long, I try not to be so verbose when I'm asking questions, but condensing information has never been my strong suit.

Appreciate the help,

JD
How are you connecting stuff to your mixer, and how are you connecting your mixer to your interface?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'm using the 1/8" RCA outputs from the mixer into the RCA inputs to the audio interface, then the audio interface RCA outputs to the mixer's RCA inputs.
What?
What?
Why would you do that?

If both the rca inputs and outputs are engaged you're creating a loop.
Damn disconnect the ****in' cables already, you just need the ones from the mixer's rca output to the interface's input.

Anyway how are the settings on your mixer?
Because if you have both of the things you wanna record panned center, you are doing something pretty...
What's the contrary of smart?

Anyway, if you didn't do it already pan, say your voice right and your guitar left, and then try again with the "only using one input" thing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 8, 2014,
Heh, I had the audio interface output into the mixer's input so I could play along with some backing tracks, but you're right - it's dumb to do that when recording.

And yeah both my inputs were panned center :|. I didn't realize I had to pan them left or right, but that makes me curious. For mixers with more than two inputs, how do they isolate JUST that instrument?

Thanks for the quick and helpful response, by the way - sorry about my stupidity.
Mixer with more than two inputs (yours does too, actually) usually have a stereo output, and big, high quality mixers with an integrated audio interface (Onyx 1640i) have an audio interface with more than two channels.

What were you thinking about in particular when you wrote "For mixers with more than two inputs, how do they isolate JUST that instrument?" ?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Let me use an example.

Let's say you have three guitars, all panned center in the mixer. How would someone isolate one guitar while the other guitars are playing? To expound on that further, having a track for each individual guitar. So if you're listening to the mix in the DAW, you can listen back and raise levels for one guitar, then lower levels for another, etc...

Basically, I'm trying to understand how people record multiple inputs when they want to play them all together.

Ugh I feel like a moose when I talk about this stuff, let me reiterate that I'm extremely pro-audio-stupid.
Oh, I see.

Well usually they're tracked separately, ya know.
Today very few material is recorded all together in just one session, the last notable example of which is Steven Wilson's last record.

Just in case some people want to record a lot of stuff together, they have made audio interfaces with more than two channels.
The most famous ones are the Digidesign/Avid HD systems, and then there's a lot of other nice stuff like Focusrite's bigger Saffires and Scarletts, Mackie's big Onyx stuff, Motu's big stuff, UA stuff...

Pretty much anybody makes them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola