Hey Guys!

This question may honestly seem silly, but just humour me.

Is it possible to successfully install a tune-o-matic bridge. (Or for that matter, any type of electric guitar bridge on an acoustic guitar?

It might seem useless, but one very important advantage is apparent: DIY action
adjustment. And obviously, vibrato.

I remember seeing a Floyd Rose on an acoustic somewhere, but couldn't tell whether it was just for show or actually functioned.. That's what led me to ask this..

Thoughts?

Thank you for your time
Last edited by shawnkenneth at Jan 8, 2014,
I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it.....

You do see adjustable bridges on instruments with trapeze tailpieces, like archtop guitars. The bridge in that case is "floating".... It's held to the top by the mechanical pressure of the strings, as is the case with a violin.
Mandolin bridges are normally height-adjustable.

But most electric guitar bridges are screwed directly into the solid wood of the body of the guitar.
That won't work on an acoustic unless you were to glue in a substantial piece of lumber under the top, and that would likely affect the tone considerably.
Quote by Bikewer
I wouldn't be surprised if someone has tried it.....

You do see adjustable bridges on instruments with trapeze tailpieces, like archtop guitars. The bridge in that case is "floating".... It's held to the top by the mechanical pressure of the strings, as is the case with a violin.
Mandolin bridges are normally height-adjustable.

But most electric guitar bridges are screwed directly into the solid wood of the body of the guitar.
That won't work on an acoustic unless you were to glue in a substantial piece of lumber under the top, and that would likely affect the tone considerably.

Yeah, my first thought was that the top wouldn't be able to hold the springs required. (Non-fixed type electric guitar bridge)

It would be beyond cool if someone got it work properly though
i really couldn't see much of a use for a bigsby tail on a full-on acoustic. repeatedly using the tremolo would rip the neck off in short order. i guess that would be there are semi-hollow bodied guitars !
now a Gibson 355 with a bigsby? yeah, i'd like that.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)