Hey guys,

I'm in the process of converting my 6505+ 112 into a head, and as I removed the amp from the combo shell last night I noticed how easy it would be to remove the reverb tank. I don't use the amp's reverb at all, as my TC Elec Hall of Fame sounds 1000% better in every way. Additionally, I was thinking there may be some advantages to removing it from the circuit, as I believe it is powered by one of my preamp tubes.

Would this be okay to do? Or will it mess up the electronics? I guess an added bonus would be the head would be lighter without it.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I'm sure the amps differ, but with my Hot Rod Deville, I just unplugged and removed it. Inside the amp the actual connection was hard-wired, so I had to wrap up the connections and zip-tie them out of the way. I know that the driver/receiver for the reverb that amp is a preamp tube, and I haven't noticed any adverse effects.

I just googled for yours, too. Didn't find much on the 6505, but people are doing it to their Valvekings and Classic 30's left and right.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
1.) Can't speak to the 6505
2.) I did remove the reverb tank from my Valveking
3.) Reverb tanks do not weigh all that much anyway
4.) What little research I just did does not give me the impression that the reverb is tube driven
5.) I would just disconnect the reverb tank and leave the RCA jacks free
6.) #5 is what I do with my Mesa RectoVerb

Disconnect the Reverb tank and play the amp to see for yourself.

FYI

https://www.google.com/search?q=6505%2B112+preamp+tube+lay+out&sa=X&espv=210&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=c27NUsrmE-arsQSczoCwDQ&ved=0CGUQsAQ&biw=1454&bih=725
I don't think it's worth removing. The weight difference is minimal, there's no benefit to removing it from the circuit, and if you lose the tank you've shot yourself in the foot if you ever want to sell the amp. I think the safest place for it is right in the amp.

I'd leave the RCA jacks plugged in, personally, just to keep the dirt out. Those jacks get dirty fast and they're a pain to clean.
Thanks for the responses guys!

The tank is out of the way, so that's not an issue. It was more of a "maybe if I remove it, tone will improve" sort of thinking. But if that's not the case I'll just leave it in.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Does it sound bad at all when you DO use it?

It won't improve by removing it even it was in perfect working order.

I don't know anything about the reverb they use though. Is it like an Accutronics or something cheap?

Also - maybe try using it sometimes. Not a bad feature, especially for cleaner stuff.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Does it sound bad at all when you DO use it?

It won't improve by removing it even it was in perfect working order.

I don't know anything about the reverb they use though. Is it like an Accutronics or something cheap?

Also - maybe try using it sometimes. Not a bad feature, especially for cleaner stuff.

It is a spring reverb, maybe an Accutronics. It isn't that it sounds bad, per se -- it's just that even maxed out, it doesn't have enough decay to be very effective. For just a little ambiance, I suppose it's okay. But when I use reverb, it tends to only be for cleans and I like a pretty massive, warm sounding 'verb. The amp's reverb just can't do that. Even my Hall of Fame's spring model sounds better than the real thing -- mainly because you can get some real trailoff with it.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood