Hi, I am new and am learning my chords scales and fret board. As I grow, chords are making sense and I'm finding new chords in a reverse way without even looking them up.

Question here is if I'm playing C add9 in place of C for easier fingering transition from D to C. I've noted it sounds closer to major C if I drop the high G and playing an open high E.

Such as:
X32033 goes to X32030

Would it be acceptable to play X32030 in place of x32010 when playing a C major? I've noticed chordbook has labeled it still a C add9, but what is it called when I drop the high G for an E?

Thanks for any instruction.

DJ
Last edited by MistaChy at Jan 8, 2014,
Quote by MistaChy
Would it be acceptable to play X32030 in place of x32010 when playing a C major?

Only your ear can tell you that.

Quote by MistaChy
I've noticed chordbook has labeled it still a C add9, but what is it called when I drop the high G for an E?

The same, an E is still part of the same chord so it doesn't change the name at all.

What actually defines a chord isn't the fingering but the notes in contains, so any chord that contains the notes C, D, E and G (and no more) is a Cadd9.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Thanks Zaphod. So if X32030 and X32033 are both Cadd9, then other than what i just wrote, and the sound, how do you notate or distinguish the difference in variation?
Quote by MistaChy
Thanks Zaphod. So if X32030 and X32033 are both Cadd9, then other than what i just wrote, and the sound, how do you notate or distinguish the difference in variation?

Generally you only can in tab. That's the problem with guitar, sheet music and tab; most tab doesn't tell you anything about rhythm but sheet music generally doesn't have any notation for specific fingerings. I think both actually have the capability for notating everything but they're so seldom used it basically doesn't matter.

Notationally guitar is just really awkward
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.