Poll: Does what a musican plays influence you?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does what a musican plays influence you?
Yes - better instrument shows they know more/are better musicians
15 9%
No - skill/sound matter, not what they're playing on
58 37%
I don't like pretentious musicans that try to buy their skill
13 8%
No influence - I like good musicians and intrument is secondary
72 46%
Voters: 158.
Page 1 of 4
When you see someone playing an instrument - guitar, bass, whatever - does WHAT they play influence your OPINION of their playing? (positive or negative?)

If you're watching a band on TV and they're playing top of the line models vs something you're not even sure of, or a fender vs gibson or dean or lakland or rik - does it influence you to like or dislike them?

Does 'brand' (or model) matter to you as a listener or fan?
nicer gear looks good for live shows and you could say it looks more professional but its not something to judge their musicianship by
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
Basically if it's not a squier, an Ibanez, or a B.C. Rich you're aight with me.

I play an Ibanez

It's not a typical Ibanez though, it isn't even a metal guitar.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
I judge them on their skill. If they can play well then they can play well. A higher quality instrument will sound nicer, but I don't make it a prerequisite.
doesn't affect me

A good song is a good song, regardless

unless It's pop in which case it's terrible until nobody can hear me singing along which doesn't happen
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
It does not matter a bit what brand a musician is playing. I play both my Fender CS strat and a Squier Classic Vibe live, would people consider me a better musician if they saw me playing only the CS strat? I doubt it. Focus on the actual music, not the gear the player has.
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
I have a severe disliking for your typical ibanez, bc rich or zakk wylde guitar. anything else, I'm chill with it
Call me Kerouac
I'm asking partly out of curiosity of course.
And over the years I have a friend that LOVES martin- all other acoustics are secondary. So ANYONE that plays a martin is 'more knowledgeable' and therefore a better musician.

I see a LOT of fender bass in bands yet in forums while fender is indeed popular it's not overwhelmingly so.

Reading about bands many keep their good instruments at home, record with something different than they play most with, use cheap stuff on the road.

If a teen has a rik or $1800 signature strat or $1500 am you can be sure daddy bought it for him. Does that make you watch him more to see how good he really is?

Do you have any thoughts on players that use few if any pedals vs ones that use a ton of pedals?
dont play metal anymore, still play my crappy ibanez

come at me bro
Quote by Mr E Meat
dont play metal anymore, still play my crappy ibanez

come at me bro

I think you've suffered through enough already.
What does the instrument matter if the guy playing it is a joke. Seasick Steve plays instruments made of junk that he has created himself? He still gets a really nice sound. Does that make him bad? Because he doesn't play a 60's Fender or a 40's acoustic Gibson? I think that makes him even more awesome
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
I don't care too much about the gear if it isn't absolute crap. I used to give people bonus points for using unique guitars (I was so happy when I saw people using Ovation Vipers or Fender Jazzmasters loaded with EMG's in metal) until I figured out that simply using a Les Paul or a Strat for what they were famous for is actually pretty satisfying. Nowadays I jam along with Sabbath tunes on a Gibson SG. How's that for being original.
i dont care
what does annoy me is when shitty player use crappy gear and then say they dont need good gear to sound good and then they sound like ass

btw i use a prestige ibanez
Last edited by supersac at Jan 8, 2014,
If someone told me they play guitar, and then they say they have a Squire and a Spider then yes I admit I would be predisposed to think they are a noob, but if I heard them play through that gear and they were incredible then no the gear would not make me think less of the performance.

You can suck my pointy warlock's horns
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
i only judge if they're playing a guitar that is trying too hard to look metal (i.e. really just BC Rich)
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
It matters somewhat because the guitar they chose to buy often outwardly projects the guitarist's influences.

And generally speaking, more experienced musicians are willing to make greater investments in their hobby. So generally people who are good players often buy better guitars and amps. That isn't always true, since quite a few people just have a shitton of money to burn, but it is true for most people. Which is why I put yes in the poll.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 8, 2014,

you have obviously never played a good squier ibanez or bc rich
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
you have obviously never played a good squier ibanez or bc rich

And you have never seen a unicorn before, what's your point?
And you have never seen a unicorn before, what's your point?

my point is the unicorn's horn obviously
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
my point is the unicorn's horn obviously

Is that some sort of euphemism? Are you guys coming on to me? Keep your "horns" to yourself.
It won't make me think less of them, if that's what you're asking. Also, what do you mean by "buy skill"?

EDIT: Actually, having thought about it, there are a few exceptions. When people spend hundreds of units of currency on overpriced gear that doesn't make any difference (tone-improving power cables n shit) then I judge them. It's their money and they can do what they want, but I still get the impression that they're easily fooled by marketting.
Last edited by sashki at Jan 8, 2014,
Is that some sort of euphemism? Are you guys coming on to me? Keep your "horns" to yourself.

you think because i'm queer i'm into you

lol that's pretty gay
I play a squier through a behringer owned brand amp
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong

you're not alright with RU then
I don't judge artists on how expensive their gear is, I judge them on whether they're using brands that I like. And even then, I don't really look down on anyone for it, I'm just a little disappointed that an artist I like doesn't like the same gear as I do.
Quote by cha33 armstrong

Im sorry.
Whats goes around must come down
Only a Gibson is good enough.

Nah but really, while I might initally think someone with nicer gear is going to be a better player, that's obviously not going to be an indication.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Page 1 of 4