Ok, So I bought a 6505+ 112 about 3 months ago. It was working fine until last night when I turned it on, I let it warm up for 10min+, turned the standby and then nothing. No sound what so ever. I can turn everything to 12 o' clock and not even get a hiss from the guitar cable when I touch it or anything. The power tubes light up, but I cant really tell if the front pre-amps are lighting up or not.

I have almost no knowledge of amps. I work as a hearing aid repair tech during the day so I'm pretty good at soldering/microscopic electronics but I've never done anything with an amp.

Is there an easy fix to this or should I try to use the warranty? It says 3 months warranty for tubes though but the amp its self says 1yr+ so I'm not really sure if I can send it in or not depending what's wrong right?

Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
This is somewhat of a common problem, it sounds like what happened to mine. The heater circuit most likely has went. I can't recall exactly what the fix was (my tech did it for next to nothing so I didn't bother trying to fix it) but you can probably google this for more info.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Did you buy it new?
Tubes normally have a 90 day warranty from Peavey if they are bad, take it back.

have you look inside the chassis to see if the HT fuse is blown?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If the amp goes dead quiet I doubt its the tubes. When they go out there is usually noise or the sound simply goes dull and dead. So return it and change it since its under warranty.

Just double check its not the instrument cable gone bad.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by MaaZeus
If the amp goes dead quiet I doubt its the tubes. When they go out there is usually noise or the sound simply goes dull and dead. So return it and change it since its under warranty.

Just double check its not the instrument cable gone bad.

That's the first thing I did. I have 3 cables and 3 guitars. All of them no sound, no hiss nothing. I can turn the gain and volume all they way up and there isn't any speaker hiss or anything. Its literally dead silent.

It is new but the tubes have a 90 day warranty. And I bought it 4 months ago on the 12th.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Plug your guitar directly into the FX loop return. You will have to use the loop level/master volume and your volume knob on the guitar (this bypasses the preamp). Do you get any sound?

If not it is either your power tubes (this also includes one 12ax7 that is the PI) or the HT fuse. If the tube light up it is most likely the HT fuse.

Now it could be something else, but these are the 2 most common issues that you can easily diagnose yourself.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Plug your guitar directly into the FX loop return. You will have to use the loop level/master volume and your volume knob on the guitar (this bypasses the preamp). Do you get any sound?

If not it is either your power tubes (this also includes one 12ax7 that is the PI) or the HT fuse. If the tube light up it is most likely the HT fuse.

Now it could be something else, but these are the 2 most common issues that you can easily diagnose yourself.

I will try this when I get home. I'm currently at work but on my lunch I will try this.

Thanks.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
My money's on the preamp heater circuit, but definitely check the HT fuse. Even if it is the heater circuit, it's not a pricey fix by any means.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Robbgnarly

Ok, I tested this on my lunch. It gets sound but very very faint. You can no doubt hear its coming from the speaker but its quite. So what does that mean?

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Can you plug a multifx into the FX return? That would tell you if it's in the preamp or not. The fact that the tubes light up is a good indication the heater circuit is fine. A blown HT fuse cuts the high voltage just like having the standby switch on standby.
Quote by Fallenoath
Ok, I tested this on my lunch. It gets sound but very very faint. You can no doubt hear its coming from the speaker but its quite. So what does that mean?

Do you have distortion or overdrive pedals? Connect that to FX Return so it would work as preamplifier. If you can get loud signal as you turn the volume up on the pedal the problem is definetly in the preamp section. If its still dead quiet I dont know what is up.

Honestly though, if the amp is still under warranty is it worth it to start poking around? Change the damn thing, that is what warranty is for.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Gah! I have pedals but all of my power supplies either burnt out or got lost. I have one that takes a 9v too so I can just pick one up.

And the warranty says tubes are 90 days I've had it for 4 months. In my original post I said that I wasn't sure If I could send it in or not. If its a simple fix Ill do it myself. I'm a wiz with soldering, I do it 8 hours a day lol. I'm pretty sure I can fix this myself as long as there are wiring diagrams and I know what's wrong. I don't know really anything about tube amps but I learn things pretty quick and Id like to learn this stuff anyways because eventually I'm not going have a warranty regardless..

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
Last edited by Fallenoath at Jan 8, 2014,
You do not need a pedal or preamp. the signal of your guitar should be pretty loud with the loop level and master volume turned up it will just be a clean signal.

If you remove the amp chassis from the cab, near the power tubes PCB there should be a fuse or maybe more and you should replace them with the exact same value fuse.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Fallenoath
Gah! I have pedals but all of my power supplies either burnt out or got lost. I have one that takes a 9v too so I can just pick one up.

And the warranty says tubes are 90 days I've had it for 4 months. In my original post I said that I wasn't sure If I could send it in or not. If its a simple fix Ill do it myself. I'm a wiz with soldering, I do it 8 hours a day lol. I'm pretty sure I can fix this myself as long as there are wiring diagrams and I know what's wrong. I don't know really anything about tube amps but I learn things pretty quick and Id like to learn this stuff anyways because eventually I'm not going have a warranty regardless..

Yeah but cant you leave it up to them to determine what is wrong with the amp? I still doubt its the preamp tubes. I would think you'd get atleast some sound out of it, atleast through clean channel unless its exactly the V1 valve thats somehow catastrophically busted. Dont quote me on that though, Tubes are mostly mystery to me too.

If you insist on fixing it yourself you better drain the filter cap before poking the insides because it can store lethal voltages. Some amps can drain themselves when turning the amp off when tubes are hot/operating temperature but leaving the standby switch on for few minutes, but its always better to short the cap with resistor (maybe not necessary but it prevents sparking) to ground. And double check with multimeter.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jan 8, 2014,
Same thing happened with my 6505+ 112, and I just had it repaired for free under warranty. I was only a month away from the warranty expiration too! Unfortunately the tech didn't say what was wrong with it, but he did say it was a very easy fix. It wasn't the tubes, and from what you describe I doubt your issue is with the tubes either.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
For now Ill just try to send it in. I got too much other stuff I need to worry about. Hopefully its under warranty still.

-GEAR-
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
If you had a spare preamp tube (like you should) you could have tried it in each position and known if it was a preamp tube in a few minutes. If you get some sound through fx return and nothing in the input it is a problem with the preamp. If rolling a good tube through the preamp doesn't restore sound then it wasn't a tube. You just have to think logically.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification