Page 1 of 2
Hey guys, i am once again on the hunt for a new amp but this time i really just need a good dirty channel to nail those pop punk tones. I love my twin reverb but its fairly clean all the way through. I am planning on using an AB router so the amp can have zero clean ability. i was looking at the or15 head and a 1x12 cab but i wanted to see if i had more options. My budget is $1500 US but if i can get something cheaper I'm all ears. Last note, i want something a little lower wattage so i can crank it and keep up with a live band. My twin will have the bulk of the work from crystal clean too light crunch with some pedals so i just need a dirty channel. Thanks a bunch!
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
i would perfer a combo as i love combos but i feel like the bass response wont be there with a combo, im going for like a marshall grit with a lot of midrange punch. i am planning on using an ABY yes. The used market is kinda lacking here lots of fenders and lots of line 6's. i prefer to buy new unless its something vintage or not available anymore. thanks for the quick reply!
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
thanks dude!
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Not to make things more difficult but...

not to be too nosy but these are things I would consider (if you still live there):

http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4273883872.html Traynor YBA-1 head $650
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4265808084.html Marshall Class 5 head $430
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4257280972.html Marshall JCM30 $400 (some people like)
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4248408664.html Marshall JCM800 KK head $850 (noice)
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4229039264.html Marshall JVM combo $1000
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4226957533.html Vox AC30CC2X $1100
http://collegestation.craigslist.org/msg/4235355212.html Egnater Tweaker $400
http://beaumont.craigslist.org/msg/4267252631.html Marshall TSL100 halfy $1300
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/4214146255.html Marshall JVM head $1300
oooo i like that jcm 800 kk
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
lots of people do

highly regarded

i've never played one

i know the whole thing becomes bigger (heavier) than you were originally thinking but you could probably find a somewhat matched Marshall 1936 212 cab or somewhat matched Avatar 212.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 8, 2014,
matching isn't a big deal, that jvm seems like a good deal but i have never had the urge to play one i could be totally wrong but it seems lacking when looking for the marshall grit. i see that you have a splawn, i know that its more expensive than my budget but do you recommend them over a marshall?
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
figured haha they sound so amazing, if i were to save for another month i would have about $2000 would that open me to anything significantly better?
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
hell bells it would

you can find used splawns starting at about $1,100.
my Avatar 212 cab was $425 new (custom built)
my Splawn 212 cab was $575 new (custom built)
those cost less used obviously

never cared for the JVM but some people really like theres
i see a lot of people using 6505's i like the sound but im not sure about new peavey's. thought?
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Last edited by Reverb&Reggae at Jan 8, 2014,
New Peaveys are fine if that is the tone you are after.

Somewhat polar opposite of some of the other amps we've discussed.

Don't take everything for my word, hopefully someone else will get in here and offer some different opinions.

i know it will come down to me finding a way to test everything i have an idea about before i buy it. There just so many options im leaning towards a jcm 900 slx or jcm 800 now that I've decided to go used and wait a bit longer.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Last edited by Reverb&Reggae at Jan 8, 2014,
Im going for a sound like the band The Wonder Years and Four Year Strong, not exactly playing their style of music but thats the type of dirty tones i am looking for.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
^ Can you link me to a song that you would consider the dirtiest you would ever want to be? Tone wise

OK, so not to make things even more difficult but you need to make an appointment to go play all of these. Weekday early in the day as possible and in the loud room - if they have one.

Used Section at your GC

Marshall Plexi 1974x (reissue) $1499
Used Marshall 2061 HW $1499
Elmwood Stinger 30 head $1299
Mesa Electra Dyne
Marshall JMP20 $1199
Marshall JVM 205H $999
Rivera Clubster Royale $999
Krank Rev1 $799
Peavey Butcher $790
Egnater Renegade $699
Mesa Nomad 55 $699
Laney GH100L $550
Marshall Class 5 $399

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Amplifiers---Effects,Used-Gear.gc?extup=Houston&ipp=25&src=&storenumber=442&storename=houston&localstoresearch=true&o=2

I would absolutely consider all of these as options as well as the craigslist stuff.

These will all beat just about anything new in the same price range imo. There are some nice new amps out there to consider and play - I just like going used unless you absolutely need a warranty. I think their Pro Coverage is not too bad either for the cost. Also, most issues with used amp will pop up in the first few days of playing anyway - and that is true for both new and used amp imo. Do make sure you understand the Return policy with whomever/whatever you decide on. Good luck
oh yeah the Westheimer GC kicks ass with its vintage and used stuff i forgot about that store, it being in the heart of houston kinda makes it lose its charm.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
im using a les paul classic with 57 classic and 57 plus by the way
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Checked out the song. At first I was thinking a Weezer or Subline type tone no? I was thinking def British (Marshall) type punk tone but the more I listened I a heard a thicker gritty tone that reminded me more of Rectifier. You can't go wrong really with one of those, one of those Marshalls, a Spalwn, a Renegade or even the 6505. Then I noticed in the vid it looks like there is a 5150 II/6505+ in there but the logo is removed? That would work too but not really ideal for me. I'd use a 6505+ for other stuff though

Quote by Reverb&Reggae
oh yeah the Westheimer GC kicks ass with its vintage and used stuff i forgot about that store, it being in the heart of houston kinda makes it lose its charm.

**** charm. Go play. They probably have a 6505+ too.
i will forsure go to that store and check it out, thanks for all your help 311 im glad i didnt impulse buy that or15
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
I'm thinking you definitely need a Splawn Competition, or a used Quickrod or Pro Stock

BTW, 311, wonderful weather we're having, eh?
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Throwing it out there because you have mentioned it before.
The Crunch channel of a 5150ii/6505+ will nail that!

I love my 5150ii for the whole pop punk thing, with the right guitar it does it perfect ( i use a Fender FMT Tele) get a lovely pop punk sound out of it (thats running an OD pedal infront, but thats just me)

and if you want to go heavier, theres always the lead channel..
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
how is the 6505+ combo? I will most likely get the head and a 2x12 im just curious about the combo. Also, is there a way to play a splawn before i buy it, im assuming they dont really carry them in stores.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Not unless you find a used one locally.

You could put a feeler on the Splawn proboards to see if there is anyone in Houston willing to let you play theres.
http://splawnfans.proboards.com/board/14/splawn-quick-rod

This may be a your best here:

There is a Guitar Center Platinum in North Dallas that carries Splawn. I didn't know GC had a relationship with Splawn.
http://splawnguitars.com/dealers.htm

PS: The 6505+112 combo is decent enough if that is the one you are talking about but it somewhat polar opposite of the Splawns. A 212 combo would absolutely not be worth it.
I will be in Dallas next week for a hockey game sweet! I will be sure to check it out! Are any of the Splawns designed after a jcm900? Or is a jcm900 pretty much just a jcm800 with master volume?
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
if that intro clean was also on the splawn i think i might be sold.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
I see a diezel in the corner which reminded me they are located in Houston and ive never checked out their shop. I need to do that.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by Reverb&Reggae
if that intro clean was also on the splawn i think i might be sold.

I didn't think that was all that special

If you have not seen the Chris Peeler vid you should check it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPnV9oluWr8

Diezel would be sweet pretty much can't go wrong there if you can afford one.

I mean in the range you are in now there are a whole bunch of amps to look at:

EVH 5150 III
VHT Sig X/Pitbull
Bogner Ecstacy/Shiva
Mesa Mark V/Road King
Soldano Hot Rod/SLO (maybe)
etc etc
it wasnt that it was an amazing clean tone i just liked the idea of mixing that and my twin together. gahhh the choices, so many. big props for bearing with me all day hahaha.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Glad I could help

Not trying to push Splawn on you either but they are pretty rare and it is hard to find people that want to share/talk about them.

You've got lots of stuff to look into man. Best thing to do is just play as many as you can. I find it helpful to take a note pad and take down notes while you are there of each amp because guess what - when you get home, you will have forgotten some of the characteristics.

I also just got a Mesa Rect-o-verb Single Rec used at my GC for $500. There is a NAD clip in my profile going from clean to dirty. Cleans are quite nice on these amps.

Here is a clip my buddy did on my Quick Rod's Clean Channel:
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Public/Splawn%20Quick%20Rod%20clean%20by%20Gregs1020.mp3?w=AABoJ-RJHxP4JFlXOyBRuG3lBY2FXb-yNTMmHT03yGjrfw

I have some Splawn clips in my profile but they are bad compared to other clips that are out there so I usually do not bring it up

Edit: Good night and Good luck. Maybe you will get some more differing opinions in there.
no worries! like i said earlier my twin will take the brunt of the clean work. I have finally gotten the eq right so my les paul doesnt sound farty in that open back cab. Its ridiculously loud though. I will forsure check out your clips and your buddies, i am very interested in splawn, i love companies like that.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Quote by Reverb&Reggae
I will be in Dallas next week for a hockey game sweet! I will be sure to check it out! Are any of the Splawns designed after a jcm900? Or is a jcm900 pretty much just a jcm800 with master volume?

There are three different types of JCM900 and all are very different. The only one you should be considering is the SL/X which is basically a single channel JCM800 with an extra tube in front. They have two master volumes which are done with op-amps. It's the only part in common with the Dual Reverb and it is by far the least disastrous part of Marshall's short lived flirt with opamps.
The other two JCM900's (The Dual Reverb and the Master Volume MkIII) need modding to sound decent. Just avoid them.
Honestly though, in your situation I'd go for a 2203 or 2204, which are the single channel JCM800's. The dual channel ones are like the MkIII 900 but harder to mod. They're rubbish.
If you can find an old vertical input 2203 that would be the holy grail tone for you imo but any single channel 800 will do nicely, the KK JCM800 would be fine. 'twer I you, I'd probably just grab it.
But if a JCM900 SL/X falls into your lap, grab it and run. They are a beast all of their own. Filthy, filthy amp. Makes a JVM sound like a Spider.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 9, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard

But if a JCM900 SL/X falls into your lap, grab it and run. They are a beast all of their own. Filthy, filthy amp. Makes a JVM sound like a Spider.

Can vouch. The SL X is a total monster.

But also given the money you're willing to spend, definitely try and find a VHT/Fryette Pittbull CL50/100 or Ultra Lead to play because those things are beasts. Also try out Orange Rockerverb/Thunderverbs and some Mesa Dual Recs if you get the chance. Those are all very very different amps but they're all really worth a shot for their monstrous dirt.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Thanks for the suggestions and the knowledge, im only just delving into high gain amps. I will be sure to check out all of them and when i finally decide i am hoping for an epic NAD.
Gear
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Id go for the SLX or a 5150ii/6505+ head,
I shouldn't post when drunk..