So, I have a Marshall 4x12 cab and I'm thinking about changing it with 2 2x12 cabinets.

Would thuis ben a smart choice?
Hard to say with what you've provided.

I like 2x12 cabs myself, but there are lots of merits to having a 4x12.

What amp do you have first of all?
What are the specific speaker out (Impedance) options now?
Which cabs are we talking about specifically?
Why do you want to do this? What's the application?
What kind of music do you play?
Quote by Den_Benjo
So, I have a Marshall 4x12 cab and I'm thinking about changing it with 2 2x12 cabinets.

yes and no
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
I use 2 2x12 personally. Most of the time it's easier and sufficient to just lug one around. They are both Emperor cabs and I've done a lot of speaker experimenting with them, A/B testing and all that. I ended up with Governors in one and Legend V12's in the other. In combination these cabs are massive sounding, way bigger than any 4x12. They are both big cabs in terms of dimensions so just that much more internal volume, etc.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Jan 8, 2014,
2 2x12's beat the hell out of a 4x12 sound and power-wise, and they're easier to transport (or at least in my case). I wish I'd have been smart enough to get 2 2x12's when I bought my stack. I would say it's better, but I doubt that changing it will do you much good for the extra cash. Unless some fool wants to trade, then take him for everything he owns. Depending on how much this would cost, it's most likely not worth it now that you already have a 4x12
Israel is a terrorist state.
Last edited by JD Close at Jan 8, 2014,
2x12's have me won over just for pure portability
that and a/b'ing them to test speakers as mentioned
above is a plus and running stereo with your
delays and mods running is the cats ass!
Quote by Den_Benjo

I'd say it would be if you have to lug them around every now and then, or when you want to play a stereo rig. You could put them left/right with a nice stereo delay. Otherwise, I don't think it matters that much.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by Den_Benjo

No idea, since we have no idea of your circumstances.
I have four 4x12s that have been in storage, unused, for some time. I built two specialized 2x12s about four years ago and have been using those until recently.

One of the obvious benefits is that you can use just a single 2x12 when circumstances warrant -- easier to carry up stairs, less bulky, etc.

Another, less obvious benefit is that you can stack a pair of 2x12s vertically for a line array of four 12" speakers just one speaker wide. This offers MUCH more dispersion of high frequencies.

Using a pair of 2x12s horizontally (as if it were a big 4x12) actually reduces dispersion and increases beaming -- generally not a good result.

My 2x12s were each stereo. On occasion we'd put a single 2x12 on each side of the stage with keyboards (or the other guitar player) in one side of each cabinet and my output in the other side of each cabinet. This allowed us a pretty wide sound field and allowed us to be able to hear ourselves from anywhere on the stage that we cared to wander. When I used them spread out on either side of the stage just for me, I could run them as a stereo pair (several FX options in the Pods offer stereo output). In addition, the newer Pods offer the option of running two completely different rigs (one clean, one wet or dirty), and spread across the stage, it often sounded like two separate guitar players.
I hate straight cabs because you don't have ears in your knees. Unless of course it's just the bottom cab of a full stack or 6x12. Two 2x12's equate to a straight cab. Get a 1960A (and stick a 2x12 on top of that )
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah sorry about the lack of info, should've known better.

Anyway, I play in 2 bands, one in wich there is an other guitar player and we play mainstream 90's rock covers ( foo fighters, Afghan whigs, AIC, etc).
In my other band I'm the only gitarist and we play stoner/sludge.

I always played on a Marshall MF 350 and now I have a HiWatt HG 100.

It appeared to me as a logical choice but I've never seen someone with two 2x12.
Or I never noticed...
Quote by Cathbard
Two 2x12's equate to a straight cab. )

Unless you run them vertically.

Last edited by dspellman at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by dspellman
Unless you run them vertically.

Indeed. Or I guess you could use a 2x12 wedge loaded with guitar speakers for the top box too. Something I have thought about.

Although lately I have been using my 2x12 Randall on an angled stand instead of my usual 6x12 setup. That's because the Randall is a closed back behemouth that punches way above its weight (figuratively speaking of course because it weighs 90lb ). First 2x12 I've ever used that I didn't think desperately needed more speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 10, 2014,
Harder to get and control feedback. It sounds somewhat smaller but if it's a nice big cab like an Orange or a Mesa, the difference is negligible really. They are more directional. But a big closed back 2x12 pointed at your head is definitely useable.
I'd have to say that a nice 2x12 pointed at your head is better on stage that a straight 4x12. It can even be easier to live with than a slant 4x12 (ie. 1960A). I still think the 6x12 is the best setup but a good, closed back 2x12 on an angled stand is certainly satisfying. The stand is the secret.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jan 10, 2014,
1 - 2x15", or 2.

I rarely used my 4x12 after I built one, and of course I melted the speakers soon after trying to acheive the same sound. I built a vintage alnico 2x12, but the 2x15 is way more output and for some reason 4 ohms is a great-sounding load for all types of music I play. I can even play bass and lower octave pedals through it. I'm thinking about making a 2/3rds tuned back baffle for it and trying a 16 ohm load like Eric Johnson does on his Twins. These will handle 300 watts easily, so if I ever get back on stage small venues shouldn't be a problem.

I could probably DJ it too.

My neighbors like this cabinet...a lot...they have no choice...

2x12 top, 2x15 bottom
Last edited by 1152 at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by Cathbard
Harder to get and control feedback. It sounds somewhat smaller but if it's a nice big cab like an Orange or a Mesa, the difference is negligible really. They are more directional. But a big closed back 2x12 pointed at your head is definitely useable.
I'd have to say that a nice 2x12 pointed at your head is better on stage that a straight 4x12. It can even be easier to live with than a slant 4x12 (ie. 1960A). I still think the 6x12 is the best setup but a good, closed back 2x12 on an angled stand is certainly satisfying. The stand is the secret.

A 2x12 is actually LESS directional than a 4x12, and that vertical stack of 2 2x12s gives you a very wide angle of dispersion with much less beaming than a standard 4x12. I dunno about the "sounds bigger" business, either. I used to run four 4x12s (more for looks than anything else), and when I switched to a pair of 2x12s, I don't think there was any drop off in bigitude.

But putting them on a stand definitely...uh...elevates their performance level <G>.

I use an RS-7000 (they fold flat for transport):

Just as an aside; here's another way to use them for, say, practice...

Quote by Den_Benjo
So what are the disadvantages of a 2x12?

Sometimes they do not have:

enough wattage capacity (only 2 speakers)
as many impedance options (some 4x12s are mono/stereo for example)
as much projection - already discussed
as much weight

...oh wait, that's a benefit
Quote by dspellman
A 2x12 is actually LESS directional than a 4x12, and that vertical stack of 2 2x12s gives you a very wide angle of dispersion with much less beaming than a standard 4x12. I dunno about the "sounds bigger" business, either. I used to run four 4x12s (more for looks than anything else), and when I switched to a pair of 2x12s, I don't think there was any drop off in bigitude.

But putting them on a stand definitely...uh...elevates their performance level <G>.

Where I notice the difference most is feedback. With a wall of speakers (ie 6x12+) it's easier to control because small movements have less affect. I have a bigger area to work with. I can still get the required amount with the Randall combo but small movements will change the tone of the feedback more dramatically. On a small stage that can actually be an advantage but when I've got room to move, give me a wall of speakers every time.
Running the Randall as 6x12 sounds fantastic but not enough to keep me lugging around the 1960A, unlike my JCM900 which really needs it. A stand is a lot easier to cart around than a 1960
But the differences between the 900 and the RM100 are legion. To give an idea; I can fit both the JCM900 and the 1960A on the back seat of my car but I'm not in the event trying to fit the Randall and the 1960. The Randall is ****ing huge.
And I think therein lies a lot of the perceived difference. People see 2x12 regardless of all the other factors and conclude that that was what made the difference. Two different 2x12's can have more differences than 2x12 vs 4x12 depending on cab design and speakers.

PS. I have the same speakers in everything.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification