Got a Gibson Maestro single cutaway electric 2 years ago and I hate it. My main complaint is it stays in tune for less than 5 strums. A buddy told me stock strings are bad so I got some Ernie ball strings but the problem still stands. is there any customizing I can do to mend it?

Specs can be seen here http://www.gibson.com/en-us/divisions/maestro/electrics/single%20cutaway/
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
I'm not sure what tuners are on there but maybe updating them to Grovers would help? I've got an SG with a tremolo that struggled with staying in tune and the new tuners really helped.

EDIT: Dat string spacing on the image in the link hopefully it's not like that in real life. Looks like a budget guitar so they probably aren't using high quality tuning pegs, so I'd update those first. It's a fixed bridge so I can't imagine anything else would negatively affect the tuning stability. Maybe examine the nut as well?
Last edited by Nickpocalypse at Jan 8, 2014,
Yeah its budget. came with a beginners DVD, backup strings, gig bag, an Allen wrench, andpicks. I wasn't expecting anything great since I found out altogether it was like 80 bucks. folks got it for a Christmas present so I'm not mad. anyway, you say grovers ? Never heard of em. Does guitar center have em?
Theory is just...wow. I'm getting a bit over my head by trying to learn so much w/o formal educators

Quote by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
Those cheap maestros are terrible. I wouldn't bother upgrading anything on it.
ESP E-II Horizon FR
Gibson Flying V HET SET
ESP Eclipse II FM JB/Jazz
ESP M-II Deluxe EMG 81/SA
Marshall JCM2000 DSL/ JCM800 1960a cab
Mesa Mark V 25
Tuners very rarely are the problem regarding tuning stability. One of the most common problems is that the strings are catching in the nut. See if they are catching and if they are, you can file the nut out a little. Welding Torch tip cleaners are ideal for filing nut slots, but you can improvise a file simply by using an old wound guitar string.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee