Hey guys. I currently have an OCD Pedal and I'm wanting to know if a Tube screamer would benefit me more as a boost. I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-5 with the OCD gain set to 0 and full volume and tone. I play mostly hard rock and thrash like Metallica and Slayer. I know kirk hammett uses a tube screamer also.

Thanks, Zac
I'm not sure it will make a huge difference with your amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
i think if you already have an OCD, may as well stick with it
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
is there something that you feel you are lacking tone wise? you may benefit more from an EQ or something else rather than another overdrive. depends on what you are after though.
I find that the OCD adds a LOT more hair and balls to the my DSL. I currently really only use it for a clean boost now for my clean channel to give it a little extra something and use the TS9 for the lead. but it has a lot of options and sounds great.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
The OCD really works well as a stand alone overdrive pedal or for adding extra hair to your sound (it's still got some light crunch at low gain). It's a nice pedal, but something like a tubescreamer would make a better solo boost or metal boost. It has less gain and chops off spiky highs and boomy lows, making your tone more sculpted and tight (might also be the solid state clipping being added, but hey...).
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
In my setup I've found the OCD to work terrible as a boost, whereas my Vintage Overdrive (pretty much a TS) works fantastic as a boost. I know that some people do use the OCD as a boost with nice results though. What makes you consider the TS though, are you not happy with the sound you're getting now?
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Might be the HT5 thing.
I never really liked mine after a while for metal.
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by sg4ever
The OCD really works well as a stand alone overdrive pedal or for adding extra hair to your sound (it's still got some light crunch at low gain). It's a nice pedal, but something like a tubescreamer would make a better solo boost or metal boost. It has less gain and chops off spiky highs and boomy lows, making your tone more sculpted and tight (might also be the solid state clipping being added, but hey...).

This has been my experience. I have pedals modeled after both. The OCD adds a lot of ballsyness to my sound, but the Tubescreamer tightens things up much more. Personally, I prefer the OCD. Used as a clean boost, I feel that it makes my amps sound much more aggressive, and the metal I play doesn't require an incredibly tight sound. Quite frankly, I'm not that good
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The OCD can sound good for a boost, but it can make things a bit boomy if one isn't careful. I think having both would give one the best of both worlds. I also second the EXH Soul Food. It's a pretty standard Klon clone and that circuit is very good for boosting a distorted amp.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by xDaFormer
Hey guys. I currently have an OCD Pedal and I'm wanting to know if a Tube screamer would benefit me more as a boost. I'm currently using a Blackstar HT-5 with the OCD gain set to 0 and full volume and tone. I play mostly hard rock and thrash like Metallica and Slayer. I know kirk hammett uses a tube screamer also.

Thanks, Zac

I use an OCD in my Van Halen re-amp rig set just like yours, except with the tone at 12:00. It boosts quite a bit even set to 0, but it gets that slight extra bit of edge that makes the tone perfect for me (I leave the OCD on full-time, not just for solos). The tube screamer will likely be as others have stated-a more smooth/rounded tone with a bit less liveliness & bite. IMO, it's not whether one is "better" than the other, they're just different. Depends what you like...If you live near a Guitar Center, maybe you could just buy a TS & try it with your setup, & return it if you don't like it.
A tube screamer is a great pedal to have around forever if you like pedals anyway.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
^ yeah. my cheapo joyo ocd clone boosts fine but doesn't cut the bass like a ts, I like a ts better (or other more transparent ods if I want a more transparent boost e.g. a timmy or similar).

an sd1 is nice if you more or less want the ts thing but with more bite and edge.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The OCD is just about the opposite of what you want for your usual metal boost. It's pretty flat in the lows and highs and slightly scooped in the mids. You want a healthy cut below about 400Hz to tighten your ish up.

Quote by NakedInTheRain
ehx soul food. dirt cheap new. the klon circuit is amazing boosting for metal tones.

Klon is too flat in the lows for any metal but sludge/doom, IMO.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
yeah

i normally use a transparent boost for rhythm tones and have more bass on it- but i still like having a bass knob, just in case i need to cut some bass.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?