My amp isnt anything great at the moment. It is just a Peavey Vypyr 75. Im using a Epiphone Les Paul standrard with it but it happens with my ibanez too.

When playing at loud volumes equivalent to matching my drummer I get a terrible high pitch squeal usually when I stop playing. Im even standing past 15ft away and it does this. Is this normal? Listen to what happens in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6z2Q19kbt7g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Even when playing sticatto style riffs (lots of starting and stopping) the high pitch ringing squeals any chance it gets.
Im looking into noise gates/suppresors such as the ISP Decimator and MXR Noise Gate, but will they even work will a high pitch sound like this?

Im fairly new to pedals and everything so I apologize for my lack of knowledge.
The amp is perfectly fine at lower volumes though.
How much gain do you use?
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Turn the gain down some and see what happens
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah i turned the pregain down halfway. It stopped most of it. Still get some on my treble toggle but oh well. Thank tho. For a noise gate is a MXR good or an ISP Decimator?
Last edited by metalhead424 at Jan 8, 2014,
A noise gate may not work to solve the problem, because it is coming from the pre amp and not a signal chain in front of the amp. The best thing I can say is either take your amp to a store and try a gate with it or buy from an online store with a good return policy.

Have you tried other amp models to see if it does this on them also?

It also might be the cheap pickups
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
It also might be the cheap pickups

This, or it could be coming from elsewhere in the guitar. In any case, I had something really similar and sticking a noise gate out front stopped it, which confirmed it was from the guitar. Though the real fix is probably better wiring or something, it works for me and I needed a gate anyway. If it's from the pre-amp which I think would be more of an issue in a tube amp, a noise gate in the fx loop would fix it.
Die troll

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
Quote by GeetarHeero
This, or it could be coming from elsewhere in the guitar. In any case, I had something really similar and sticking a noise gate out front stopped it, which confirmed it was from the guitar. Though the real fix is probably better wiring or something, it works for me and I needed a gate anyway. If it's from the pre-amp which I think would be more of an issue in a tube amp, a noise gate in the fx loop would fix it.

Yeah I think its from the guitar because there isnt any squealing on my rhythm switch but there is a little on the middle one and alot on the treble pickup switch. I think the pickups are actually good. Its a Standard Epiphone LP. Sounds great at low volumes. Anyways can I get my pickups fixed or something? Apparently pickups like mine are considered very "hot". I noticed that when i adjust the volume it isnt much of a increasing sound its more on/off kinda. And when i turn the knob off/on there is a little distorted noise. I guess thats what I get for buying used.

And yeah about the tube amp I play out of a Peavey Vypyr... Digital stuff. Id be kinda embarassed playing live with that thing but I cant afford good metal tube amps.
Quote by icronic
Sounds like pickup squeal to me. Can happen with cheap pickups or unpotted pickups.

absolutely this. i've had this issue with two of my guitars and i've wax-potted the pickups, and had no squealing after that. either wax-pot your pickups (easy to do and heaps of tutorials online) or buy a set of already-wax-potted pickups.
Quote by NakedInTheRain
absolutely this. i've had this issue with two of my guitars and i've wax-potted the pickups, and had no squealing after that. either wax-pot your pickups (easy to do and heaps of tutorials online) or buy a set of already-wax-potted pickups.

Awesome thanks for the post. Its been bothering so much to figure out the root of the problem. My Ibanez has this too. Its a middle class Ibanez with stock pickups so they probably suck too.

Im not too good at repairing instrument stuff nor do I have the time. Do most music stores wax pickups? & if they do how much do you think they would charge. My local music store is Long & McQuade and they are one of the biggest music store franchises in Canada, so id assume they would do waxing.
Quote by metalhead424
Awesome thanks for the post. Its been bothering so much to figure out the root of the problem. My Ibanez has this too. Its a middle class Ibanez with stock pickups so they probably suck too.

Im not too good at repairing instrument stuff nor do I have the time. Do most music stores wax pickups? & if they do how much do you think they would charge. My local music store is Long & McQuade and they are one of the biggest music store franchises in Canada, so id assume they would do waxing.

don't take them to a music store, just get them to a tech i would imagine most would. also if you aren't close to one, mail them out and get them shipped. probbably equilivent to the time to get to the store twice as far as the price in gas.

look up BG pickups, he is in the states, but is a smaller shop that make their own pickups. shoot him a message, he may know somebody close to you or maybe he would do it
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You are describing shitty pickups being microphonic.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by metalhead424

yah, the dimarzios in my ibby j custom do as well. they're decent pickups, but they're not potted for some reason.

i've not heard of a music store wax-potting pickups before, and i don't know who would offer it as a service, sorry. it's one of those things that's easy to do at home, given some preparation. you also need to be able to de/re-solder your pickups as well.
If you want a good cheap replacement pickup www.guitarfetish.com has good pickups for 1/2 the price of Dimarzio/Seymour Duncan

I have a Fat Pat in the bridge of a LP clone and it sounds great. It does most types of harder music just fine. The VEH is a little hotter, but either is great and <$36 each. Shipping to Canada is pretty cheap also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I wouldn't recommend a Fat Pat to somebody having problems with microphonic pickups. I have all sorts of problems with microphonics with my guitar that has Fat Pats. No way I could use it at a gig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah you said you had feedback issues. Mine is fine in my guitar though
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by icronic
Sounds like pickup squeal to me. Can happen with cheap pickups or unpotted pickups.

I'll second Icronic on this one.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah you said you had feedback issues. Mine is fine in my guitar though
To be fair, that was when I was practically diming a 100W JCM900. I've been playing at a lot lower levels with my new band and I haven't tried it in that situation yet. When diming the 900 I was also having some problems with Les Paul Custom pups (nowhere near as bad as the GFS's though) so ........
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification