Got the PRS bug. I know i probably won't be splurging for the core model for my first upgrade. So...

Obviously, you can't get a new CE but there seems to be some really nice ones floating around for less than 1K and the S2 just seems to be a warmed over SE model with basic pups, SE trem and a "we cut this corner and that corner," vibe.

Am i off base thinking the CE would be much more true to the spirit of an entry level USA made PRS? How would you rate these in terms of build quality etc? Thoughts?
I have a CE22, it is on par with any PRS CU22/24 I have ever played. The only difference between the USA CU and the CE is the Bolt-thru maple neck. Everything else is identical.

Well you can not get a CE that has a 10 top or Artist package. But they are true, proper USA PRS guitars. You can even get a CE with birds which I never knew up until a couple years ago.

I would take a CE over a S2 any day
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I have a CE22, it is on par with any PRS CU22/24 I have ever played. The only difference between the USA CU and the CE is the Bolt-thru maple neck. Everything else is identical.

Well you can not get a CE that has a 10 top or Artist package. But they are true, proper USA PRS guitars. You can even get a CE with birds which I never knew up until a couple years ago.

I would take a CE over a S2 any day

Thanks. The birds...Was it the later models, special order or any certain criteria you know of with them?

I was under the impression any CE's with birds were likely a Frankenstein guitar.
Last edited by drop1337 at Jan 8, 2014,
Quote by drop1337
Thanks. The birds...Was it the later models, special order or any certain criteria you know of with them?

That I do not know. I was always under the understanding that the CE always had the Moon's. But I have seen several CE's with Birds since I bought mine in 04. They are pretty rare from what I have seen but they exist. I think www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear had a CE24 with Birds the other day

EDIT it is a black CE22 with birds
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 8, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly
That I do not know. I was always under the understanding that the CE always had the Moon's. But I have seen several CE's with Birds since I bought mine in 04. They are pretty rare from what I have seen but they exist. I think www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear had a CE24 with Birds the other day

EDIT it is a black CE22 with birds

Yeah...I've seen a couple but one was a Frankenstein and the other had stick on birds. I had already decided any with birds were likely something along those lines lol.
Quote by drop1337
Yeah...I've seen a couple but one was a Frankenstein and the other had stick on birds. I had already decided any with birds were likely something along those lines lol.

How would they be a Frankenstein? The CE was the only Bolt-thru and it was the only PRS made with a Maple neck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
How would they be a Frankenstein? The CE was the only Bolt-thru and it was the only PRS made with a Maple neck

I had to go back through my history. Here it is on Ebay.

Apparently the neck came from a 2002 Swamp Ash Special. He says in the description the CE was never offered with birds:

"usa prs ce guitars were never offered with a maple neck with birds. just half moons or dots. so a whole swamp ash had to be parted to make this guitar which makes this a rare find!!!"

Oops here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-OF-A-KIND-custom-98-02-Paul-Reed-Smith-USA-CE-22-with-maple-ORIGNAL-BIRDS-/251419227163?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a89c0f41b
Last edited by drop1337 at Jan 8, 2014,
Quote by drop1337
I had to go back through my history. Here it is on Ebay.

Apparently the neck came from a 2002 Swamp Ash Special. He says in the description the CE was never offered with birds:

"usa prs ce guitars were never offered with a maple neck with birds. just half moons or dots. so a whole swamp ash had to be parted to make this guitar which makes this a rare find!!!"

Oops here's the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-OF-A-KIND-custom-98-02-Paul-Reed-Smith-USA-CE-22-with-maple-ORIGNAL-BIRDS-/251419227163?pt=Guitar&hash=item3a89c0f41b
Your right I think, but I have heard PRS dealers tell me that the CE was made with Birds on some

I was not even thinking of the Swamp Ash special

Still it is all PRS and not fake parts

Bolt-on's are not better than a set neck, just different. And PRS CE's are made with the same neck joint, they just glue one in and put a plate and a few bolts on the other.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 8, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Still it is all PRS and not fake parts

True, but it's still been mucked with and that makes me a wee bit leery. Just give me an original

Do you find the big hump on the neck to be a problem or any thoughts on that?
Quote by drop1337
True, but it's still been mucked with and that makes me a wee bit leery. Just give me an original

Do you find the big hump on the neck to be a problem or any thoughts on that?

The Heal? No it really is not an issue for me. look for a pre 97 and they have really small neck heal's, the 97-07 have the bigger heal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm not trying to bash your guitar, because I've never even seen one in person, but the way they did that bolt-on looks a little scary to me. I mean its bolted through the thin little bit of wood on the opposite side of the neck pickup... I cant see how there could be very much strength there compared to a solid glued/set neck. What, besides the price, makes the CE a better guitar than the S2?
Quote by dropb81
I'm not trying to bash your guitar, because I've never even seen one in person, but the way they did that bolt-on looks a little scary to me. I mean its bolted through the thin little bit of wood on the opposite side of the neck pickup... I cant see how there could be very much strength there compared to a solid glued/set neck. What, besides the price, makes the CE a better guitar than the S2?

I don't think the bolt on should be a major worry as far as rigidity. Also if you were to do major damage to a bolt on you could probably just get another neck whereas a set one would be a different ball game.

A lot of people will claim the bolt on has more sustain and snappiness. Some prefer it, some don't and some will say it makes no difference tone/sustain wise.

From what i gather there are a few different configurations of the CE through years but all in all is a core Custom 22/24 with a bolt on. With all of the same love and attention. Also no 10 tops on the CE's.

The S2 has a lot of corner cutting. How much there actually is.. How much you believe about what PRS actually claims and how much difference there really is compared to a core model is up to the individual.
Quote by dropb81

It is made exactly like the Custom only it is a bolt thru. It is one of the best designed Bolton type joints that have been made There is nothing flimsy or delicate at all about it. I have had mine for 10 years and It has seen 31 different states and probably 1000+ shows over those years.

See if you can find a store that has one or 2 of them and go try them for yourself. Trust me you'll be a believer. I was actually going to buy a LP standard CS edition that was a $2600 guitar I played the PRS and I forgot about the LP.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The CE Mahogany is like a bolt-on Standard 22/24

The CE Maple top is like a bolt-on Custom 22/24

I have a maple top in Whale blue

Another thing you should know is on the older CE series the wide fat and the wide thin necks were available on either the CE22 or the CE24. I'm not sure what year they started but after '97 some time the CE22 was only available with the wide fat and the CE24 was only available with the wide thin profile.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by drop1337

I was under the impression any CE's with birds were likely a Frankenstein guitar.

From what I gather, they are rare... But not Frankensteins.
It's real and mine.
The MODCAT number in the pup pocket specs a B in the 9th digit. That means solid bird inlays - before 2008.

I tried a S2, looked nice, played ok. But the CEs are better in every way.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Jan 9, 2014,
Quote by Robbgnarly

Another thing you should know is on the older CE series the wide fat and the wide thin necks were available on either the CE22 or the CE24. I'm not sure what year they started but after '97 some time the CE22 was only available with the wide fat and the CE24 was only available with the wide thin profile.

Great info, I appreciate it. I would ideally like to have the thin profile.

Quote by Auriemma
From what I gather, they are rare... But not Frankensteins.
It's real and mine.
The MODCAT number in the pup pocket specs a B in the 9th digit. That means solid bird inlays - before 2008.

I tried a S2, looked nice, played ok. But the CEs are better in every way.

Wow...That is a real beauty you have there. I notice the truss rod cover looks special did you change it? Are you the original owner? It wasn't a special order, or if second hand, possibly had mods done to it you're not aware of?

And thanks for the direct comparison... Exactly the type of input i was hoping for.
a nice used CE is a big step up from a S2.

regardless of how the neck is attached.

imo ymmv lawyerspeak etc...

gc's used section is full of nice CE guitars. there's a wine red flame top for around $1000.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 9, 2014,
I have played for 40 years but have only been on the PRS wagon for about a year. My first PRS was a SE Santana...great guitar in my opinion. I recently bought a S2 custom 24...also a great guitar. I still play the Santana at church but really like the S2. The S2 seems to be just a bit fuller sounding and I really like the 24 frets.

As I read this post, I am asking myself what is a CE? Someone please educate me.
Quote by gregs1020

gc's used section is full of nice CE guitars. there's a wine red flame top for around $1000.

Hey wanna ship it to me?!

Man its hard to find a cheap 2nd hand PRS around here...
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Quote by Bob Sherwood
I have played for 40 years but have only been on the PRS wagon for about a year. My first PRS was a SE Santana...great guitar in my opinion. I recently bought a S2 custom 24...also a great guitar. I still play the Santana at church but really like the S2. The S2 seems to be just a bit fuller sounding and I really like the 24 frets.

As I read this post, I am asking myself what is a CE? Someone please educate me.

They are discontinued now. Basically a Custom 22/24 but with a bolt on neck.

I also read earlier someone saying they read PRS said they lost money on every CE ever sold.
Last edited by drop1337 at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by Steve Holt
Hey wanna ship it to me?!

Man its hard to find a cheap 2nd hand PRS around here...

Sure. But i thought GC Used did ship overseas.

If they don't, i'll help you out with it.
Quote by drop1337
I also read earlier someone saying they read PRS said they lost money on every CE ever sold.

the hillands were CE's and really overpriced, i doubt they lost on those. they may not "count" as CE's since they are also sig guitars though.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by gregs1020
Sure. But i thought GC Used did ship overseas.

If they don't, i'll help you out with it.

the hillands were CE's and really overpriced, i doubt they lost on those. they may not "count" as CE's since they are also sig guitars though.

Dunno. The quote referring to the CE losing money came from a book about PRS apparently.
Quote by Bob Sherwood

CE stands for Classic Electric, they were made with the exact same everything that the Custom 22/24 and Standard 22/24 were. The only difference the bolt-thru maple neck.

Notice I said Bolt-thru not bolt on. The neck and neck pocket are identical to the set neck Customs.

The S2 is a nice guitar, but when your using import parts to make a MIA $1400 guitar, that is bullshit .
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As much as I'd like to agree that a CE is the same as a CU, just with a bolt-on and a less fancy top... I really can't.

I've owned two CEs, both were nice guitars, but neither was of the same quality of any of the Custom 24s I've owned. Not only did the Customs play better, but they also sounded better and overall just felt like better made instruments.

Still... better than the S2? Sure. But I wouldn't expect to get a Custom 22/24 out of it...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
As much as I'd like to agree that a CE is the same as a CU, just with a bolt-on and a less fancy top... I really can't.

I've owned two CEs, both were nice guitars, but neither was of the same quality of any of the Custom 24s I've owned. Not only did the Customs play better, but they also sounded better and overall just felt like better made instruments.

Still... better than the S2? Sure. But I wouldn't expect to get a Custom 22/24 out of it...

Thanks for the input.

Right now i'm really torn between the more conventional option, something like a CE 22 or a 25.5 scale Schecter C-1 Slim Series w/satin neck, XJ frets etc.

My eye always draws me to the PRS but i'm just having a hard time justifying it will be the better option for shredding, and drop tuned chugga chugga. Not to mention my mom and pop music store that never moves any items has a SLS Blackjack they are almost wanting to give me compared to current online prices.

I may just get both and see who comes out on top
Last edited by drop1337 at Jan 15, 2014,
here's the way it is.

used PRS CE or "i got the sold myself short model".

your call.
Quote by gregs1020
here's the way it is.

used PRS CE or "i got the sold myself short model".

your call.

Thanks.
Quote by drop1337
Wow...That is a real beauty you have there. I notice the truss rod cover looks special did you change it? Are you the original owner? It wasn't a special order, or if second hand, possibly had mods done to it you're not aware of?

And thanks for the direct comparison... Exactly the type of input i was hoping for.

Yes the TRC was changed, the original is under it.

No, I bought it used at SA.

From what I have gathered, it came as is. Special order was possible, but there are a few out there to make me believe it was a short run with birds.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Quote by Auriemma
Yes the TRC was changed, the original is under it.

No, I bought it used at SA.

From what I have gathered, it came as is. Special order was possible, but there are a few out there to make me believe it was a short run with birds.

I think it was special order, because even the PRS website says they only came with moons
But I have talked to dealers that have told me it was available, but I have only seen a few ever.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I think it was special order, because even the PRS website says they only came with moons
But I have talked to dealers that have told me it was available, but I have only seen a few ever.

Probably was special order. Here's a 1995 model special order w/birds...Quite a story with it if you read the description:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Reed-Smith-CE-24-1995-Rare-Custom-order-Blue-Burst-with-Birds-/141165595386?pt=Guitar&hash=item20de200afa
Last edited by drop1337 at Jan 16, 2014,
Quote by drop1337
Probably was special order. Here's a 1995 model special order w/birds...Quite a story with it if you read the description:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Reed-Smith-CE-24-1995-Rare-Custom-order-Blue-Burst-with-Birds-/141165595386?pt=Guitar&hash=item20de200afa

Yeah, but that guitar is $1000ish over priced for what the market allows
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, but that guitar is $1000ish over priced for what the market allows

Definitely is for my market and maybe yours. But not necessarily for everyone with deep pockets or someone wanting a "special" one or a keepsake of sorts.
Quote by drop1337
Thanks for the input.

Right now i'm really torn between the more conventional option, something like a CE 22 or a 25.5 scale Schecter C-1 Slim Series w/satin neck, XJ frets etc.

My eye always draws me to the PRS but i'm just having a hard time justifying it will be the better option for shredding, and drop tuned chugga chugga. Not to mention my mom and pop music store that never moves any items has a SLS Blackjack they are almost wanting to give me compared to current online prices.

I may just get both and see who comes out on top

Out of those two, definitely the PRS. I haven't played a C-1 in a while, but I'm sure it has a thinner neck than the PRS, though...

I did really like the C-1 Classic, though. I have no idea why they discontinued those, cause that was, and still is, the best 6 string Schecter ever made IMO
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Out of those two, definitely the PRS. I haven't played a C-1 in a while, but I'm sure it has a thinner neck than the PRS, though...

I did really like the C-1 Classic, though. I have no idea why they discontinued those, cause that was, and still is, the best 6 string Schecter ever made IMO

The C-1 Classic is actually being reissued this year. I don't really know how much difference there would be between it and a C-1 Hellraiser or C-1 Slim, but, who knows.

So, you really think all BS aside the CE would outperform and/or be more playable than a C-1 25.5 scale with XJ fret's doing shredding and drop tuned chugging?
Quote by drop1337
The C-1 Classic is actually being reissued this year. I don't really know how much difference there would be between it and a C-1 Hellraiser or C-1 Slim, but, who knows.

So, you really think all BS aside the CE would outperform and/or be more playable than a C-1 25.5 scale with XJ fret's doing shredding and drop tuned chugging?

Deff it would. But if you want a shread guitar, the CE24 would be a better choice than the CE22.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Deff it would. But if you want a shread guitar, the CE24 would be a better choice than the CE22.

Thanks...Yeah, i'm pretty much open to either depending on how good of an overall deal i come across. It's tax time here in the states so only a few more weeks and i'll be itching to pull the trigger on something.