Hello. Sorry to ask here, but avid makes it a ridiculously long registration process to ask them. If I buy an 11 rack, will I be able to plug it in usb and listen through my m-audio av40 speakers? Thanks.
A picture of the rear of the unit via google shows a USB output. It probably would show up on your PC as an audio device. You could send that to your speakers. So to be clear, you would connect the USB to your PC, have some type of audio output of the PC/laptop and send that to a power amp, and then to your speakers, right?
Also, if you google: "eleven rack" manual

you'll find the user manual and can probably find the details
Well I'm just unsure if I can just play it via usb through my speakers or if I need to use headphones or connect it to my speakers as well and if so, how is that done?
Quote by HammerParty
Well I'm just unsure if I can just play it via usb through my speakers or if I need to use headphones or connect it to my speakers as well and if so, how is that done?

i would just plug the monitors directly to the monitors with TRS cables instead.

else you are going to be using the 11 rack as an external sound card and using your native sound card to decode the digital signal to then output it to the speakers.

this usually means other software will be involved that can handle the unnecessarily complex routing (usually a DAW software) and you'll probably also be adding a significant amount of latency to the signal.

but yes, you should be able to do it. i recommend keeping it simple though and going 11 rack directly into the monitors (unless you are planning on recording of course)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Not familiar with TRS cables, so it should work with trs cables right into my monitors?
TRS - tip ring sleeve

TS - tip sleeve

there is even TRRS for stuff like your ipod headphones with the volume control. tip ring ting sleeve.

they carry different kinds of signals. the TRS will carry a 'balanced' signal to the mixer or amp or whatever you wanna use. you can still use a TS cable no problem, it just won't be a balanced signal.

-ae
So I should get two xlr to trs cables and just plug the 11r into both trs slots in the back of my monitors? Sorry if this sounds stupid, new to xlr/trs and so on.
Quote by HammerParty
So I should get two xlr to trs cables and just plug the 11r into both trs slots in the back of my monitors? Sorry if this sounds stupid, new to xlr/trs and so on.

no, it's not stupid i completely remember when i didn't know anything about cable connections.

my bad, i actually misread the 11 rack description. i saw two balanced outputs under specs and a 1/4" TRS output for amp and thought it was the same thing. but you're right, the main balanced outs on the 11 rack are XLR and not TRS.

so get XLR to TRS connectors that look like this

-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jan 8, 2014,
I didn't realize those M-audio speakers are active (ie, with builtin amp). So if they're powered, can't he just run the TRS cable with line levels from the line-level out direct to the M-audio? XLR adapters might cost a little more.
Quote by timbo63
I didn't realize those M-audio speakers are active (ie, with builtin amp). So if they're powered, can't he just run the TRS cable with line levels from the line-level out direct to the M-audio? XLR adapters might cost a little more.

The xlr outs ARE the line level outs.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by HammerParty
Cable

Would this be exactly what I need?

i'd get two separate ones, the TRS cables may be too close together to easily plug into the monitors.

-ae
My bad - I thought those two TRS jacks below the XLRs were outputs, but I see now they're inputs. The Ouput-to-amp would be the normal line output to an amp, they only used one jack. It might support a stereo TRS on the amp output, but yeah, at that point it's probably easier to use two balanced-to-TRS cables.
Quote by timbo63
My bad - I thought those two TRS jacks below the XLRs were outputs, but I see now they're inputs. The Ouput-to-amp would be the normal line output to an amp, they only used one jack. It might support a stereo TRS on the amp output, but yeah, at that point it's probably easier to use two balanced-to-TRS cables.

It's instrument level and unbalanced, so, too noisy for monitors. There are two output to amp jacks. One is in front for convenience.

You can also run a 1/8" stereo to dual RCA cable from the headphone output to the RCA inputs on the M Audio monitors.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
One quick question. Do I have to make sure the cables are balanced or is it fine that the 11rack has balanced outputs. Do I just need XLR to TRS cables and not worry if they'e balanced or not?
Those other guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but XLR cables are always balanced. There are two inner wires and a ground wrapper. I'm not familiar with your amp, but some TRS jacks will short the tip and ring together (so the input itself isn't really balanced) and others will take advantage of the differential pair.

So anyways, I think the cable will just be balanced so long as it has a tip/ring/shield at the end (instead of tip/shield).
Quote by HammerParty
One quick question. Do I have to make sure the cables are balanced or is it fine that the 11rack has balanced outputs. Do I just need XLR to TRS cables and not worry if they'e balanced or not?

do you NEED it?

no. an XLR to TS will work, but the signal won't be balanced.

you don't necessarily need a balanced signal if the cables are kept short. you may pick up a bit of noise.

so something like this will work

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PXF105

-ae
Quote by timbo63
Those other guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but XLR cables are always balanced.

it's more about the device sending the signal and what connections/pins it utilizes. an XLR is equally capable of providing an unbalanced signal as well, it is just rarely used for unbalanced signals.

Quote by timbo63
I'm not familiar with your amp, but some TRS jacks will short the tip and ring together (so the input itself isn't really balanced) and others will take advantage of the differential pair.

i think a TS jack automatically grounds the ring signal for a TRS. i am not totally sure though. that may be what you are thinking about cuz a TRS jack that shorts the tip wouldn't be a TRS jack anymore.

Quote by timbo63
So anyways, I think the cable will just be balanced so long as it has a tip/ring/shield at the end (instead of tip/shield).

once again, the device has more to do with it. if the device doesn't send out of phase signals down the two different wires then it won't be balanced regardless of the cable being used.

also if the receiving device doesn't accept the two out of phase signals the a balanced signal is not being preserved. it may reduce some interference from the shielding but i am unsure.

bottom line is the device sending and receiving the signals dictates whether the signal is capable of being balanced or not but you also need to use the appropriate cable to effectively send the signal as well.

-ae