axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Okay... my subwoofer comes today. The outputs are 1/4" out TRS balanced. My Yorkville YSM1 monitors (passive) have binding post connectors.

Am I correct that I would get a 1/4" TRS balanced cable, cut it in half, strip the cut ends to reveal bare wire, and use the connecting plugs on the output of the sub and the stripped ends into the binding posts?

Is there another solution?

Thanks!
CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,411 IQ
As far as I'm aware, that is indeed what you would do, Chris. Just make sure you keep the wires apart when you strip away the shielding, though I'm sure you already know this... don't wanna hook it all up only for the wires to become connected and thus useless
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Thanks, Disarm!

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
Well, that should have been simple....

The manual says:

Features: Stereo balanced TRS outputs for connection to mains.

Signal Outputs: Connect these output jacks to the input jacks of studio monitors. Balanced 1/4" female connectors are provided for the left and right outputs.

So....

I bought $25 worth of speaker cable, stripped the ends, connected the speakers, blah, blah, blah.... as above, and got sound from the sub and nothing from the speakers. WTF?

As it turns out, buried elsewhere in the manual under "quick start" - step 4, it says "connect the line-level signal from the output jacks to the studio monitors' input jacks."

Nice.

Of course, I had a couple of 1/4" to RCA cables in my basket-o-goodies already that are now functioning very well connecting the sub to the RCA input of my stereo amplifier.... yeah, the one that has been driving my monitors all along.

.... and of course, I can't take that speaker cable I bought now...

GRRRRR....

Might have been nice if they said something about connecting it to a pair of ACTIVE monitors, or to an amplifier. Hmph.

CT

Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 12, 2014,
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,411 IQ
Aw man, that sucks dude :/ Still, at least it only cost you $25... imagine if you'd done something and it ended up damaging the speakers/amp or something.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!
2,471 IQ
True that. haha

CT