Hi, I'm looking to take the stock pickups out of my Ibanez RG Premium (6-string), had them in for a year now (way too long). I plan on going and trying out some new guitars anyway soon, so I was wondering what pickups are worth trying to try out. I'm looking for quite a broad range of tone, modern prog bands like Scale the Summit, Animals as Leaders, Periphery are the sort of thing I play. Equally though, if it can do a bit of Dream Theater, and some heavier stuff that would be ideal. Passives not actives, I don't want to try and mess around with the body and electronics too much (not very good with it). I'm willing to save so £200 is the current budget, more if they are really good.

Obviously Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan come to mind, but I've heard good things about Bare Knuckles too. What would people recommend?
Assuming your amp's decent:

How many pickups are you looking to switch out? Because Bare Knuckles are certainly pricy; if you buy 2, they'd cost a bit more than your budget.

Bridges-Super 3 or the regular Super Distortion. Necks-Liquifire or Illuminator
Middle (if you use it)-Fast Track 1. These are all from Dimarzio.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Last edited by Maidenheadsteve at Jan 9, 2014,
Dimarzio crunch lab and liquifire - John Petrucci signiture pups. very versatile also used by Jake from periphery i think.

Seymour Duncan - JB or Distortion for bridge and Jazz for neck. Good all around pickups.

if you wanna spend more then get a BKP aftermath for the bridge, or look at the juggernaught. Misha's sig.
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
I'm looking to change out both humbuckers, and I've done a bit of reading on Bare Knuckles, forgetting the budget, are they very good? Juggernauts and Blackhawks have good reviews.
yeah they are pretty renowned on being some of the best. but its all about preference.

the Aftermath/Juggernaut will be more open and responsive to playing whereas the Blackhawk will sound a lot more like an EMG.

however for what you have listed as influences i would definitely pick the crunchlab/liquifire combo. Slightly cheaper and would probably give you a wider range of tones to pick from.

EDIT: Also, what amp and other gear do you have? and do you know the model of your ibanez? RG....
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Last edited by loki_lulamen at Jan 9, 2014,
I'm using an RG721 Premium, I'm getting a POD HD500X soon (For when I go of to univertsity, noise levels and for easy recording), but I have an Ibanez Tube Screamer, and a Boss ML-2 Metalcore Pedal (though I don't use them much). Had a look at the crunch lab liquifire combo looks good, the Juggernaut BK seems to have nicer cleans and better articulation than the aftermaths BK. Had a listen to the Blackhawk on a demo, little over warm for me.
new pickups wont do much if you are using a modeller. you would be better off looking into a decent amp and boosting it with the tube screamer.

thats a very pretty guitar btw
My Rig:
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
Amp + Tube Screamer is a better investment. Otherwise, drop a set of DiMarzio Evolutions in there. You won't be disappointed.
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
there are a lot of cheaper handwinders than bareknuckle- oil city, mojo (in Northern Ireland), catswhisker etc. I haven't tried them but they have a good rep. That's not to say BKPs aren't good, but the prices have gone way up.

Agreed that a tube amp and tubescreamer/sd1 would likely be a better investment.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?