Hey guys and girls,

I am trying to decide what to buy to aid my practice, I now know that I need a headphone amp of some kind which I would like to run through a looping pedal to silently practice my guitar playing.

What should I buy, is a normal headphone amp going to sound OK? Or should I invest a little more into something like a POD?

All I am aiming to do is to lay down like a blues riff and jam over the top...

Get the best pod you can afford.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I bought a POD XT for $65. It is an older model but it sounds good for silent practice. I had a Line 6 FBV shortboard from when I owned a Spider Valve, but you may like the XT or X3 live over the bean for its usability live also.

Get a decent set of headphones, I bought a set of AKG K44 for $29 on sale and I am completely happy for silent practice.

If you can afford the POD HD, that is the best option you have.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you don't have a looper already a Zoom G3 is excellent for headphone practice. It's extremely quick and easy to use, the amp models sound great through headphones, it has a drum track metronome with dozens of beats and it's cheap yet quality. Mine gets almost daily use for a few years now and still works good as new. If it were to break on me I would definitely buy the exact same thing again.

Hell, even if you already have a looper it cuts down on wire mess.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Wow. He said the rc3 was an awesome pedal too, lol. I wonder if it's the same guy that made dozens of "what amp" threads a while back.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Hey sorry for making another thread, the last one kind of went a little off track and my thread title did not explain what I was looking for very well.

I have not posted on here so no I did not write the what amp thread.

Sorry for the duplicate but I think you guys have helped me enough to make the right decision.
Quote by rspelman2003
Hey sorry for making another thread, the last one kind of went a little off track and my thread title did not explain what I was looking for very well.

I have not posted on here so no I did not write the what amp thread.

Sorry for the duplicate but I think you guys have helped me enough to make the right decision.

No worries, good luck

The rc3 is too frustrating to use Imo. Can you return it? Ive been told there are better single pedal loopers but two pedals make a looper infinitely easier and quicker to use. People seem to like the new-ish ditto looper.
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 9, 2014,
I own a Ditto looper. Bought it because it was a simple looper. Nice and easy to use. Highly recommand.

The only bad thing I could say is that the switch looks fragile. It makes it easier to press down thought.
I really like my Pocket POD for silent practice. It's lightweight and carries a ton of sounds...even though I mainly use 3. I can hook my phone up to it and jam with tracks & it has a tuner. I got it off CL for $60.

JA
I'm quite suprised that nobody mentioned KORG pandora mini amps. Really cheap and awesome amount of presets. Also, pandoras have a drum machine (the mini version), and a backing track option AND a drum machine (the normal one).

Definitely worth checking out.
Quote by daniel.kPL
I'm quite suprised that nobody mentioned KORG pandora mini amps. Really cheap and awesome amount of presets. Also, pandoras have a drum machine (the mini version), and a backing track option AND a drum machine (the normal one).

Definitely worth checking out.

Korg Mini Amp

Looks pretty cool!

JA