Hey everyone!
I've never actually posted anything of my singing, so since I just received my new microphone (Rode NT1-A) I thought it would be an ideal time.
There is (obviously) no auto-tune on the track, but there is some reverb/delay and compression to bring up the quieter parts. No EQ.
It's a cover from Ayreon's new album "The Theory Of Everything", the song is called Transformation and from the third epic.
https://soundcloud.com/krishq/the-transformation-1
I'm aware that I have some pitch issues, but let me know what you think as a whole. How's my tone, are your ears bleeding etc.
Also. I've never actually uploaded anything to the internet before, I'm kinda self-conscious about my singing.

Best regards
Kris
Can't seem to access the track. Any suggestions?

Edit: you need to change your privacy settings if you did upload it.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Ah. They removed the track due to copyright reasons.
Bummer... Has anyone else had this issue?
That sucks , I think it was their auto dectection algorithm. It happens to many DJ's that do remixes. Or someone reported you because they didn't know it was a cover. It could've also been a bot.
I saw someone else use a site called Vocaroo.
I've tried uploading another cover to that site, and so far it's working:
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0Xr0IGFWUqB
The quality has greatly decreased, but it's not so bad that you cannot judge the singing.
Oh. And don't worry about the speaking in the end, I'm just saying that I won't go for the following note in Danish
You sound like you would sing one of the Roles in Rent the musical really well. I don't know if you've seen it or not. Your vocals are very good, but there is some tension at around G4-B4? (this is purely by ear, so I might be off a bit). But beyond that there wasn't much tension. I heard you sing a D5 (although it was a bit flat) without too much tension, which is awesome. I currently can't sing a D5 in context, so well done. Maybe I should upload something...
Quote by GoldenGuitar
You sound like you would sing one of the Roles in Rent the musical really well. I don't know if you've seen it or not. Your vocals are very good, but there is some tension at around G4-B4? (this is purely by ear, so I might be off a bit). But beyond that there wasn't much tension. I heard you sing a D5 (although it was a bit flat) without too much tension, which is awesome. I currently can't sing a D5 in context, so well done. Maybe I should upload something...

Havn't seen that musical!
What do you mean by tension? That I'm straining a bit? That might be very plausible, since G4-B4 is definitely my most difficult area.
I'm aware that I often go flat, and it's definitely pitching I have the most trouble with. Any advice or things to try?
Also, thanks
It sounds like some of the pitching problems come from you almost running out of air? This is just my guess though, only you can know. I know the song you're singing requires a lot of energy but it sounds like you are pumping more and more energy the higher you go. Have a go at singing the difficult passages as softly as possible (it'll still be quite loud) while still maintaining the tone (so no falsetto, keep it in mix). If you can't reach some notes while singing at this volume don't force it. Try paying attention to which notes are being strained while doing this... if you can.
Last edited by GoldenGuitar at Jan 18, 2014,
It's usually not an issue with air when recoding like this, since it's not a one-take and therefore edited. But I might forget to take in nice breaths of air, I'll make sure to remember that!
I'm somewhere between Baritone and Tenor, so I have to use a lot of energy to really sing those parts. I'll definitely try to sing them softly, since I believe my voice can be a little aggressive sometimes where it's not necessary!
However, I'm so fortunate that mixing is completely natural to me and I have practiced it alot, so everything up to G5 is pretty much possible without excessive straining
Thanks!
You lose it a little in the high parts but it's nothing that some intense practice can't fix. Overall though, you'd make a damn fine progressive metal singer once you reign in those high notes. Better than my paltry attempts. I'd almost consider asking you to lay down a vocal or two on my stuff.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Quote by travislausch
You lose it a little in the high parts but it's nothing that some intense practice can't fix. Overall though, you'd make a damn fine progressive metal singer once you reign in those high notes. Better than my paltry attempts. I'd almost consider asking you to lay down a vocal or two on my stuff.

Usually I'm pretty strong in my high notes, but there's a particular one in this take where I tried to a difficult phrasing which is why it's off pitch ^^
Thanks for the kind words though, that's a huge compliment
I will keep practicing, so hopefully I'll get them to be perfect someday
Last edited by KrisHQ at Jan 22, 2014,