Page 1 of 3
I don't get it. Am I close minded? I've been told I have.

Do people actually enjoy Bound 2/think it is a piece of musical genius or is it just something people say they think is great to be controversial, or are people honestly just really weird and enjoying the terrible lyrics and jarring transitions between samples/sections?

I honestly would like to know.
I've never even heard of it.

edit: Oh that Kanye song? It's shit. And I usually really like Kanye.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

rap?

bound 2 dislike it
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Have you ever asked your bitch for other bitches? If not, you probably will never understand the depth of his lyrical genius.
Kanye is great. That song isn't.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Haven't listened to it for a while, just put it on. Good god is it good, and the video is pretty amazing
I for one love rap and hip hop music. But Bound 2 (and Kanye West basically) is just unlistenable to me.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Am I close minded?

yes but not really cos of this

I don't get the appeal of kanye at all though, he's the one act I really struggle with and I'm still convinced everyone is just trollin with liking him like they are with lil b.
I don't really think there's much to get. Kanye is either so far up his own ass he's never needed a prostate exam or is the world's best troll. And I don't think we'll ever know one way or the other.
Is Kanye West actually popular in the US or something? Because here in the UK I don't think I know anyone that gives a shit about him or his music.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
I don't know many people that listen to him but he sells a butt****ton
My theory is that bound 2 is a parody song and video of another song and video that we haven't discovered yet. They day we discover it tho it will all make sense and then we can agree that Kanye is a genius.
Quote by DarkLiquor
I like you. Compassionate and strong. Glad theres people like you.

"What is the best kind of slave to have? One who does not realize they are a slave"
Wake up people!
Quote by Nero Galon
Is Kanye West actually popular in the US or something? Because here in the UK I don't think I know anyone that gives a shit about him or his music.

No he's not really popular in the US or the UK, maybe one day he'll make it big

Quote by captainsnazz
yes but not really cos of this

I don't get the appeal of kanye at all though, he's the one act I really struggle with and I'm still convinced everyone is just trollin with liking him like they are with lil b.

New Kanye I'm struggling to take seriously, old Kanye I absolutely love.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I thought this was a side project for 50 shades lol.
Whats goes around must come down
Quote by darkcheef
No he's not really popular in the US or the UK, maybe one day he'll make it big

Oh wow. Thing is, i've only heard Stronger and that Godzilla Kashmir sample track he did and those are old.

I thought he was famous because of KK.
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Bound 2's "jarring" transitions are only jarring the first few times you hear them, like with all music that isn't designed for pop radio airplay. That being said, Bound 2 is an awful single choice on an album that should be listened to like a rock album (all the way through, instead of just a collection of unrelated songs). Yeezus has the hippy aethetic in that it's not dancing or easy grooving music, it's meant to be actually listened to.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I don't get it. Am I close minded? I've been told I have.

Do people actually enjoy Bound 2/think it is a piece of musical genius or is it just something people say they think is great to be controversial, or are people honestly just really weird and enjoying the terrible lyrics and jarring transitions between samples/sections?

I honestly would like to know.

You're not closed minded, you just don't like it. I do. The lyrics aren't great but the sampling is absolutely fantastic. No one except Kanye (and possibly Madlib) can make that sound good.
Didn't know what the hell you were talkin' about so I checked YouTube.

... and most of the Reddiots actually call him a genius.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I don't know what that even is
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Oh yeah this song I haven't listened to Yeezus since right after it came out. It's pretty good.

and the "jarring transitions" are obviously intentional and you're kinda missing the point if you don't see that imo.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Last edited by Bob_Sacamano at Jan 9, 2014,
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Oh yeah this song I haven't listened to Yeezus since right after it came out. It's pretty good.

and the "jarring transitions" are obviously intentional and you're kinda missing the point if you don't see that imo.

Well what is the point? You're just getting into the groove of something and then it just goes and changes back to Kanye's bad rapping. Is it supposed to be like in mathcore music similar to time signatures rapidly changing? Because it's way more than that or even Dream Theater's "strange" riffs that don't go as you'd expect.

I also don't get why the sampling is good.

Either way my top rap album is Collision Course so I probably know nothing and you'll all laugh at me.
Bound 2 is great. The transition isn't even that jarring
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Well what is the point? You're just getting into the groove of something and then it just goes and changes back to Kanye's bad rapping. Is it supposed to be like in mathcore music similar to time signatures rapidly changing? Because it's way more than that or even Dream Theater's "strange" riffs that don't go as you'd expect.

I also don't get why the sampling is good.

Either way my top rap album is Collision Course so I probably know nothing and you'll all laugh at me.

I hate trying to explain this kinda stuff but you're being polite and honest about it I guess

I really mostly don't care for it and would take Death Grips over it any day, but the whole thing about Yeezus is that it's supposed to be kinda shocking, a departure from his past of mostly pop rap. See, to enjoy hip hop like this, that often strives to be as strange and creative as possible without caring if they sound dumb or ridiculous, you've gotta get rid of your past conceptions of music is, or rather has to be. Music is no longer just pretty melodies with "verse chorus verse" structures, in fact they often don't care about structure at all, and you gotta go into it not minding if they stray from that expectation. I personally get it but if I had to explain it I'd guess the appeal of stuff like the "jarring transitions" is sort of a free-spirit vibe. But I think Bound 2 actually flows really well if you just let it play without letting yourself be shocked or anything.

And no lol, it's not supposed to be like mathcore or anything like that. It's not worried about being technically impressive, I think it's more that it's not worried about anything, or at least it's supposed to sound and feel that way.

As for the sample, that's not really something I can even attempt to explain. The main one at the intro is just a really nice and pleasant fun sound though.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
I don't get it either. I haven't heard it since it came out but as far as I can remember it was on the Friday/hot girls problems level of atrociousness.
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Oh god another "I don't get Kanye" thread. We get it, guys. Move on.

Also, it's a great song, and the video isn't perhaps as stupid as it first seems - The Sabotage Times had an interesting (if a bit arts-studenty) piece on it.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I hate trying to explain this kinda stuff but you're being polite and honest about it I guess

I really mostly don't care for it and would take Death Grips over it any day, but the whole thing about Yeezus is that it's supposed to be kinda shocking, a departure from his past of mostly pop rap. See, to enjoy hip hop like this, that often strives to be as strange and creative as possible without caring if they sound dumb or ridiculous, you've gotta get rid of your past conceptions of music is, or rather has to be. Music is no longer just pretty melodies with "verse chorus verse" structures, in fact they often don't care about structure at all, and you gotta go into it not minding if they stray from that expectation. I personally get it but if I had to explain it I'd guess the appeal of stuff like the "jarring transitions" is sort of a free-spirit vibe. But I think Bound 2 actually flows really well if you just let it play without letting yourself be shocked or anything.

And no lol, it's not supposed to be like mathcore or anything like that. It's not worried about being technically impressive, I think it's more that it's not worried about anything, or at least it's supposed to sound and feel that way.

As for the sample, that's not really something I can even attempt to explain. The main one at the intro is just a really nice and pleasant fun sound though.

I'm not terrible opposed to Kanye apart from thinking he's an average rapper and a horrible person, but I enjoyed Stronger a lot, that was great sampling.

But yeah I really do enjoy a lot of mathcore and prog with unusual song structures. In fact deviating from the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus is one the things I rate really highly in music.

However there's no sense of melody in this song and melody is one of the most important aspects of music for me. The intro of the song is really good and just as I get into it it transitions out into Kanye and his bad rapping. I like having a song with flow and connecting completely different sections organically in a pleasing way is why I enjoy stuff like Dream Theater so much.

I still don't really get the point of the song. Was it supposed to be a lead single? Then it's not suited for radio play. So was it meant to make a point? It's the final song on the album...does it sum up the album and provide a sense of finality? I don't know but the crass lyrics don't do anything for me.
If you like Dream Theater why do you think you'd get it?

And I have no idea how you've got to 'no sense of melody'
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I'm not terrible opposed to Kanye apart from thinking he's an average rapper and a horrible person, but I enjoyed Stronger a lot, that was great sampling.

But yeah I really do enjoy a lot of mathcore and prog with unusual song structures. In fact deviating from the verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus is one the things I rate really highly in music.

However there's no sense of melody in this song and melody is one of the most important aspects of music for me. The intro of the song is really good and just as I get into it it transitions out into Kanye and his bad rapping. I like having a song with flow and connecting completely different sections organically in a pleasing way is why I enjoy stuff like Dream Theater so much.

I still don't really get the point of the song. Was it supposed to be a lead single? Then it's not suited for radio play. So was it meant to make a point? It's the final song on the album...does it sum up the album and provide a sense of finality? I don't know but the crass lyrics don't do anything for me.

I don't even get how the transitions are particularly jarring on this song actually. The intro sample goes most of the way through apart from the chorus bits. There are other tracks on the album that are far more disjointed. (Is this just a question of a difference between the album version and the radio one? I remember the sampling changing when I've heard it in other places)

Also, immediate takeaway from the song is probably a juxtaposition of the idealistic, sweet-sounding love song sample to the modern relationship. As a summary on the whole album it sounds like a more positive take on what has come before, possibly moving beyond stuff like I'm In It.
Yeah I don't get the "no sense of melody" thing either. If you don't like the melody that's fine but I'm not gonna try to explain a melody lol

The point? Idk, I don't see why that matters. I guess it's supposed to be the lead single. It's probably the poppiest on there but it still does crazy stuff the mainstream wouldn't have accepted before. So it's a huge new song doing stuff that's just now becoming accepted, I suppose could be a point.
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
I mean I enjoy the sampled bit at the beginning but not particularly Kanye's rapping. In the hip hop world I prefer something a bit more beat driven like this perhaps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flo8gllU7-g

So I think it's obvious why Kanye's rapping doesn't appeal to me.

Quote by willT08
If you like Dream Theater why do you think you'd get it?

And I have no idea how you've got to 'no sense of melody'

What does that even mean? I try to keep my mind open to loads of different music, just because I enjoy Dream Theater doesn't mean I only listen to metal. Would it kill you to be polite in some of your posts rather than being so condescending?
Last edited by EndTheRapture51 at Jan 9, 2014,
haha dream theater
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
but you said you don't get why the sample's "good" whatever that means
Quote by Sliide90027

Quote by MusicLord16
Page 1 of 3