So, after purchasing a new acoustic guitar (Not the guitar which the thread is about), I gave my old one (A $200 Fender I got in 09) to a friend, who I am now giving guitar lessons to.

During our first session we were walking through tuning, all was well. We got to the high E, and when it was nearly in tune it snapped. I brushed it off as no big deal, figuring it was because the strings had been on for a decent amount of time, and said I'd come and replace the strings another day.

I replaced the strings earlier tonight, and once again, when the high E was nearly in tune, it snapped again. Both of these snaps occurred near the knob where you insert the string (not aware of an official name).

I didn't have much time to look at it, as I had to leave momentarily after this happened.

I'll note that the strings are the same I use on my new acoustic, and I've never had this issue with any guitar in the past, including the acoustic in question, my old one.

Anyways, she is going to try to get it to a music store soon to have them look at it. I suggested first looking at the knobs, figuring something may be wrong with them, because I honestly have no idea what else it could be.

I'll also note the knobs seemed to be loose, and occasionally would loosen themselves as I tuned them. I didn't think it would be an issue worth looking into as it didn't require me to add extra tension on the strings, just re-wind it to get it in tune (again, if the self-loosening occurred it just undid what I had done, and I had to re do it, not tightening the strings any more than they would have to be).

Any ideas? Again, I've never had issues with the guitar in the past, so this issue is a big surprise.

Thanks.
Last edited by nathanjcurtis at Jan 9, 2014,
I had that problem on many guitars, but the reason is that I was clumsy with string changing and I was "breaking" the string manually, before even starting tuning (I use combination pillers to grab the string firmly). Try not to bend (break, so to say) the string at any point, cause after you start tuning and the tension is raising, it will simply break in a weak point that you've broke before.
There could also be a sharp edge (burred) around the drilled hole in the tuner peg. Especially with lower end tuners, it could exist on all the tuners, but only really affect the thinnest (E) string. Look at all under magnification. If you see a burr, it can be gotten rid of using ultra fine sandpaper (>600 grit) wrapped around the end of a sharpened pencil with the lead broken off, or some similar method. Try to avoid files unless you have ultra fine jewelers files. They can sometimes cause the type of burr you're trying to get rid of. Be careful, work patiently, and use magnification for the job - it's a lot easier.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
There could also be a sharp edge (burred) around the drilled hole in the tuner peg. Especially with lower end tuners, it could exist on all the tuners, but only really affect the thinnest (E) string. Look at all under magnification. If you see a burr, it can be gotten rid of using ultra fine sandpaper (>600 grit) wrapped around the end of a sharpened pencil with the lead broken off, or some similar method. Try to avoid files unless you have ultra fine jewelers files. They can sometimes cause the type of burr you're trying to get rid of. Be careful, work patiently, and use magnification for the job - it's a lot easier.

That's quite a good suggestion, and makes more sense. I'll definitely consider that, but it would still confuse me as to how it managed to suddenly become a problem.

Thanks for the reply.
You tuner could have some burrs. You should also check other parts for rough edges to see if there is something irritating the string. I had this problem before with hi e and sometimes wound g strings. On some guitars there can be edges that are not filed properly. As other suggested use sandpaper to soften rough edges. It's been a long time since a snapped a string.
Last edited by Dan477 at Jan 10, 2014,