Page 1 of 2
So, there's this story out of Omaha, Nebraska that I feel needs a nice little rant. Now, imagine a family verbally abusing a toddler in diapers (i personally believe this is verbal abuse). And the Omaha, Nebraska police protective association posts this video on their facebook page. Now MIND YOU, this was a public video posted to Youtube (by the family). It wasn't like, you know, set to private (you can make videos private).. but if you make it public, then it's put out there for anyone to see. So what the Omaha police dept. posted on their facebook page was public, no restrictions.. but I'm sure the parents after they realized what had happened, realized they had left it public, and of course now it's all over Youtube. Anyway, here's how cnn reports it:
You know sometimes if you have a little one, sometimes the toddler tries to act like an adult, tries to emulate mom or dad, but this is not exactly that case, because the video we are about to show you may not be suitable for all viewers. But it has led to some serious anger. Critics say the Omaha police officers association opened up pandora's box by posting it on the internet.

What's the pandora's box that they opened? Is it that we don't want to acknowledge that thugs, irrespective of their color/race, procreate and that those procreated kids then become thugs themselves (or have the potential to)? Is the pandora's box that they opened by doing this, is it like pulling a scab off a wound or pulling the gauze off and looking at the wound and going "ooo that's nasty, i'm gonna cover that back up and pretend that that's not there."?

Take a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq5HyCm_7b0

Cnn follow-up:
I know, on the face of it, it's horrendous, but some critics came down harder on the police association accusing it of basically race baiting with a polarizing video.

Race baiting!? A polarizing video?! For godsakes, people. Let's ADMIT, that this is the kind of crap that goes on behind closed doors, irrespective of whether you're white, black, hispanic, yellow, green, red..etc. One of the critics, Willie Hamilton, president of the group Black Men United, said that the cops crossed the line by posting the video... how's that???? Here's what he said: "for them to take a video out of context. A two-year old, who doesn't have the brain capacity to know what's going on, and to say that this child, because of two adults acted inappropriately, is going to end up in a life of crime, is totally inappropriate" (he said this to cnn). Well, Willie, let me tell you why you're wrong. The video may have been taken out of context in the sense that, all we know is we see 1:23 of child abuse, verbal child abuse. But here are, granted, the assumptions (but I think very reasonable assumptions) that I make, that this indeed is the kind of household that this child will grow up in. And it is the kind of household that, unfortunately, appears all to frequently in our society. You think about black rappers, and how they refer to black women as *****s, and the things they encourage people to do to black women etc, You think about what black rappers and other black people call themselves, using the n-word here and there.. all the time. You can't tell me that this was taken out of context because that's how this family lives.

The local police chief also criticized the posting and said "I strongly disagree with any postings that may cause a divide in our community or an obstacle to police-community relations". Oh my freaking god. Really? So, if you take Willie Hamilton, and if you take the police chief's point of view, here's where we are: "well when we see these bad things happen, when we see this kind of cultural depravity, we need to cover that up, because it might cause a divide in our community." Bull. Crap. What we need to do is we need to show this video or rather you need to show this video to all your black friends, your white friends, your hispanic friends, your asian friends... who am I leaving out? You need to show it to all your friends. This kind of shit is going on and it needs to be exposed.

Here's a link to the story: http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/08/us/nebraska-swearing-toddler/

Thoughts?
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
You're a bitch niggger.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by captainsnazz
Isn't it interesting that your post wasn't racist at all, yet I can still tell from it that you're a racist?

zing!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Any time someone says a video is going viral it's probably not worth my time

I'm not going to watch something for the sole reason that a lot of other people have
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

I'm not going to watch something for the sole reason that a lot of other people have
My, my, what an individual we have here.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

word
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves

careful, you might cut yourself on that edge
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by JackWhiteIsButts
My, my, what an individual we have here.

don't get me wrong if it's in the context 'bro I can't believe you haven't seen this video yet it's great!'
I'll totally be watching that shit

but I skimmed his giant post and there were news sites, people rabbling and other shit. General gossip/shit that doesn't matter

not for me holmes
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by captainsnazz
Isn't it interesting that your post wasn't racist at all, yet I can still tell from it that you're a racist?

Lol so true
Might as well get it over now instead of being called a bitch nigga in his teens.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
soon he will be listening to rap music, and rap music is a blight on our society. talking about hoes, and bitches and "bling bling." for shame, black rappers. for shame.

aint no bitch nigga oughta take that.
There's no such thing as personal responsibility anymore, and any attempt at advocating it ends in you being called intolerant. We live in a society of enablers.
So I guess everyone is just gonna act like that is a perfectly acceptable to talk to your children? Ok, got it.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by captainsnazz

Man, sick burn, bro. So I take it you that, even though you hate it, you agree with me? (I'll take a non-response as a yes)
Quote by Overlord
Last edited by Carnivean at Jan 9, 2014,
I grew up in a broken home as well.

Now I have a successful rap career with bling bling and tons of bitch ass hoes.
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
The kid is uninjured, well-fed, clean, in a clean environment, has both parents, and they aren't fighting physically or verbally. What exactly is the issue?
Quote by MakinLattes
The kid is uninjured, well-fed, clean, in a clean environment, has both parents, and they aren't fighting physically or verbally. What exactly is the issue?

That's not even the point of the thread. But if you seriously can't see how parents saying some 35 profanities around their 3-year-old boy and egging him on to say those same profanities, then you're not very smart. Or maybe you were raised that way too, I don't know. In my opinion, it's verbal abuse.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
That's not even the point of the thread. But if you seriously can't see how parents saying some 35 profanities around their 3-year-old boy and egging him on to say those same profanities, then you're not very smart. Or maybe you were raised that way too, I don't know. In my opinion, it's verbal abuse.

Good thing your opinion doesn't define "verbal abuse". It might not be tasteful to swear around children or to teach them swear words, but it's not damaging him. Calling his dad (or whoever that guy was) a bitch and a ho isn't reinforcing negative stereotypes about women. It's pretty clear that they are joking around and think it's amusing for little kids to swear.

So what is the point of the thread? Isn't it just a polemic on how swearing is the downfall of society?
Last edited by MakinLattes at Jan 9, 2014,
Quote by MakinLattes
Good thing your opinion doesn't define "verbal abuse". It might not be tasteful to swear around children or to teach them swear words, but it's not damaging him. Calling his dad (or whoever that guy was) a bitch and a ho isn't reinforcing negative stereotypes about women. It's pretty clear that they are joking around and think it's amusing for little kids to swear.

So what is the point of the thread? Isn't it just a polemic on how swearing is the downfall of society?

Nope, I was commenting on the reception of posting the video. Some people are criticizing that protective services posted the video, others are saying it needs to be seen, etc. And I don't really care what the definition is, I'm saying that this should be a part of it. If you think it's merely tasteless and undamaging, then maybe you were raised that way and think its the norm. I think exposing a 3-year-old to such language and modeling that behavior is CLEARLY damaging to that child's future. And you know what? Protective services has agreed with me since that little boy and all of his siblings have now been taken into protective custody.
Quote by Overlord
Quote by Carnivean
Nope, I was commenting on the reception of posting the video. Some people are criticizing that protective services posted the video, others are saying it needs to be seen, etc. And I don't really care what the definition is, I'm saying that this should be a part of it.

Swearing should be a part of verbal abuse? You want to inundate CPS with cases of swearing around children?

If you think it's merely tasteless and undamaging, then maybe you were raised that way and think its the norm.

Do you also think I'm black and that my parents sell crack?

I think exposing a 3-year-old to such language and modeling that behavior is CLEARLY damaging to that child's future.

You know what I think is damaging to a child? Not having enough food, not having clean clothing or running water, being physically assaulted, not having access to education, and general neglect. Being taught to say the word "nigga" doesn't warrant seizure by CPS, placement in foster care, and spending your childhood in the middle of a needless custody battle.

And you know what? Protective services has agreed with me since that little boy and all of his siblings have now been taken into protective custody.

If you read the article you would discover that the swearing was not the reason the kid was taken into custody.
Quote by MakinLattes
Swearing should be a part of verbal abuse? You want to inundate CPS with cases of swearing around children?

Cases like this one? Hell yes. Bring em on. It's worth their time and effort.

Do you also think I'm black and that my parents sell crack?

I have no idea, but if you think teaching a 3-year-old to use that language on a regular basis and modeling that behavior as parents, is undamaging, then it's reasonable to guess that maybe you don't think its out of the ordinary.

You know what I think is damaging to a child? Not having enough food, not having clean clothing or running water, being physically assaulted, not having access to education, and general neglect. Being taught to say the word "nigga" doesn't warrant seizure by CPS, placement in foster care, and spending your childhood in the middle of a needless custody battle.

The little boy is asked “What hood you from?” and told repeatedly to use the F-word, repeat sexual comments, and repeats things like, “You a ho,” and “You a bitch.” And its reasonable to assume this happens regularly (especially since the kid knows to raise his middle finger). The kid is harangued with racial slurs and obscenities to the point where it's pretty much abuse. Moreover, kids take in so much so easily at this age. If you don't think modeling that kind of behavior or pressuring that kind of behavior in a young child can be damaging, then you've got a lot to learn.

f you read the article you would discover that the swearing was not the reason the kid was taken into custody.

Alright. I guess that means the kid is not in a clean, safe environment, after all, huh? And the video itself prompted an investigation.

Btw, this still isn't the point of the thread, which you missed entirely.
Quote by Overlord
Last edited by Carnivean at Jan 9, 2014,
Quote by MakinLattes

Eh, there is a case to be made that in instances like this it's establishing problematic social behavior that will interfere with his ability to function in other environments such as school. It may also lead to isolation if parents decide they don't want their kids being exposed to that kind of language and forbid their children from interacting with him. So it's not totally innocuous.
Eh, there is a case to be made that in instances like this it's establishing problematic social behavior that will interfere with his ability to function in other environments such as school. It may also lead to isolation if parents decide they don't want their kids being exposed to that kind of language and forbid their children from interacting with him. So it's not totally innocuous.

Ah, yes, the throngs of kindergarteners telling their teachers to suck their dicks while flipping them off. It's pretty farfetched to say that this kid will not be able to distinguish "okay at home" from "okay at school".
Quote by Carnivean

The little boy is asked “What hood you from?”

what an odd thing to have a problem with
Quote by MakinLattes
Ah, yes, the throngs of kindergarteners telling their teachers to suck their dicks while flipping them off. It's pretty farfetched to say that this kid will not be able to distinguish "okay at home" from "okay at school".

Honestly he probably won't, not at that age.
Quote by MakinLattes

He won't be able to make that distinction initially. If the behavior is reinforced at home he'll think it's acceptable in other situations until the behavior is punished or not reinforced at school, for example. Suppose he doesn't like being in class and finds that he'll be sent out if he uses expletives thus avoiding the task and reinforcing the behavior. He'll keep doing it then and it will interfere with his learning.

Obviously I have no actual insight to this particular scenario, but it's not farfetched to believe it could lead to problematic behavior in certain instances.
He won't be able to make that distinction initially. *stuff*

My point was that people usually figure out or are told what is and isn't appropriate in given situations.

Obviously I have no actual insight to this particular scenario, but it's not farfetched to believe it could lead to problematic behavior in certain instances.

Mountains out of molehills.
Quote by MakinLattes
My point was that people usually figure out or are told what is and isn't appropriate in given situations.

Mountains out of molehills.

Usually they do but a lot of people are extraordinarily dumb.

And I'm not making mountains, my argument is "it's not totally innocuous". Though I suppose your inferior female brain wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two since all that grey matter is clouding your spatial recognition.
What the **** am I looking at, someone trying to make their kid sound cute like a parrot.

**** this video, when I went after my father, no words were exchanged, I tackled his ass and tried to put him on the floor where I could beat him limp, this plan failed and I nearly got my head caved in. All I'm saying is I have good parents.
If you can't get into 1-3 fist fights while you're growing up with your father, I feel bad for you.
Last edited by stratkat at Jan 9, 2014,
Usually they do but a lot of people are extraordinarily dumb.

I don't assume people are dumb which is why teaching is not up my alley.

And I'm not making mountains, my argument is "it's not totally innocuous".

I know what you said, but you painted a rather spectacular slippery slope which seems unrealistic to me.

Though I suppose your inferior female brain wouldn't be able to distinguish between the two since all that grey matter is clouding your spatial recognition.

But the brain is mostly grey matter and the rest of it is stuff connecting the grey matter. So, like, more is better.
Quote by MakinLattes
I don't assume people are dumb which is why teaching is not up my alley.
That's dumb.
I know what you said, but you painted a rather spectacular slippery slope which seems unrealistic to me.
Maybe I should go back and watch some more Bob Ross.

But the brain is mostly grey matter and the rest of it is stuff connecting the grey matter. So, like, more is better.

Less is more.
That's dumb.

My reviews said to not use the notation I explained without explaining it.

Maybe I should go back and watch some more Bob Ross.

He died for your sins, after all. Yours in particular.

Less is more.

I could care less.
Quote by MakinLattes
My reviews said to not use the notation I explained without explaining it.
Everyone is pretty dumb, we can all be illogical, impulsive, subject to manipulation, and engage in behavior that is detrimental to our desires and well-being on a regular basis and our judgment is affected by a multitude of factors we're not even aware of at any given moment.

He died for your sins, after all. Yours in particular.

The myths propagated about bob ross are totally unsubstantiated.
I could care less.

That's the spirit.
A simple solution to this problem is when a woman gets pregnant, both her and the father have to take an IQ and etiquette test.
If they fail either one, the woman gets an abortion and both her and the father get sterilized.
Page 1 of 2