I intended to buy myself a guitar for Christmas, so I did: a Fernandes Ravelle SHIN Koi that was on clearance. Aaaaannnnd shortly after Christmas, I got an email saying that, on final inspection, they had detected a major flaw in it, and were refunding my money. It was the last one they had.

So I looked around some more, and found a used Reverend Rick Vito sig in black...and before I could pull the trigger, someone else wisely purchased it.

Now, I could buy either guitar at full price in any number of places, but I started thinking...maybe its finally time to buy amy first acoustic 12-string like I've been thinking about for years.

Each time I look, I keep coming back to 3 brands: Seagull, Breedlove, or Ovation. I've tried each kind, but never had the opportunity to do so side-by side.

I've owned an Ovation for more than 20 years. I like their sound & feel. I also like that they're seemingly as bulletproof as Superman.

I would have had a Seagull almost as long, but when I was shopping, there was a 6 month backlog for the guitar I wanted. I have never rectified that.

And Breedloves? Well, they just sound as nice as they look, IMHO.

So I'm looking for input: what would you buy for yourself in this situation? One of those electrics or an acoustic 12? And which?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I just bought my first 12 string last week and it was the Seagull Coastline. Granted as a lefty I didn't have many other options in the price range I was looking at, but I don't regret it. The tuning stability it way better than I was expecting, and the sound doesn't have that jangley top end that turns me off from some 12s I heard. The neck is on the wide side, but it wasn't that a big of an adjustment coming from my Dean ML.
I picked up a 12 string Breedlove about 6 months ago and have never looked back. If you r into acoustic this is a great way to expand upon that. Love the sound from a 12 string. Do most of my sounds on it since i got it. Defo recommend 12 string in general. As far as brand like any guitar u really need to go out to stores and try them out until u find one that sounds and feels right for your style of play. I personally like Breedlove as I have a 6 string of theirs already so it was natural for me to gravitate towards them.
If you want to see a pic of Breedlove 12 string or hear how it sounds my soundcloud link is here with both
Soundcloud.com/RobConlin

Good luck with your choice
Last edited by robertana.c.3 at Jan 11, 2014,
Thanks for sharing!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

C'mon Danny ! you know you want that double neck Ovation !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Hell no! I'm too fat for a double neck!

of all of the guitars you have, why don't you try out an upper level one? the crystal clear notes of a Taylor, the deep, crisp mids of a Martin or the russian roullette quality of a Gibson?
coupla quickie divorces should just about cover it !
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)

I actually have tried out Martin & Taylor 12s.

Did they sound better than the Seagulls and Breedloves I tried? I'd be lying if I said anything except "Yes." Did they sound enough better for me to justify spending that much more? No...especially for something I won't play as often as my electrics.

Plus, as with the electrics I was contemplating for Christmas, I wanted to keep it under $1000.

The Takamine EF381SC-12 is solid. Super rich tones. It's the 12-string I'd get when I get one. I've never plugged it, since I've only tried it out but from what I hear Takamine puts some of the best acoustic pickups in their guitars, the fact that Bruce Springsteen plays either a 6 or 12-string Takamine at every show for acoustic numbers, is a pretty good testament to their electronics. I know it's over your price range, but if you get the chance to try one out before you buy, you'll be convinced. They play great.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
I agree- Takamine 12s are great!

We have been using a Taki 12 for about 8 years now and its like a orchestra on its own. And as someone already mentioned the electronic's especially Taki's new tube pre amp is spot on.

Our Taki is a Japanese made one, and is played through either a Fender acoustic or AER amp.
Cheers
Went to my favorite local music store and a nearby GC and got to try an Art & Lutherie, a Guild, a Taylor, a used Takamine, a Breedlove, an entry level Martin, and a used Ovation Adamas.

The A&L- from Godin's entry-level line- reminded me of jut how good thenSeagulls really are.

The Martin was a surprise at just under $600, but it didn't feel...right.. My hand seemed to drag along the neck & fingerboard.

The Takamine was very bright. Beautiful, but unbalanced.

The Guild was great...and well outside of my price range, even with my "favored customer" discount.

The Ovation Adamas was also great sounding, and in my price range. But it was affordable because it was clearly well loved- someone's go-to 12-sting. Very tempting, but too rough for me.

The Breedlove had a well-balanced sound across the board, and was a new guitar that was on clearance because it had been sitting there a while. It may well be the best bargain I saw today.

So, unless I find something else, it's looking like Breedlove or Seagull...

Quote by dannyalcatraz

I actually have tried out Martin & Taylor 12s.

Did they sound better than the Seagulls and Breedloves I tried? I'd be lying if I said anything except "Yes." Did they sound enough better for me to justify spending that much more? No...especially for something I won't play as often as my electrics.

Plus, as with the electrics I was contemplating for Christmas, I wanted to keep it under $1000.

I just bought this one:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-X-Series-D12X1AE-Custom-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-109316729-i2471514.gc

I do love it. I dont play it a ton, but I play it enough and love having it. The electronics are great. I will lay down a nice rhythm with this on my looper, then plug in the Les Paul and it sounds awesome.

This guitar sounds really nice unplugged as well. I believe its made in Mexico which is probably how you can buy a Martin for $600 and so far no complaints with durability or sound and it stays in relative tune really well.
he of tranquil mind
That was the Martin I just tried- its tone IS quite nice for the price. I would recommend it to someone looking for a 12, but it just wasn't for me.