OK I've been annoying the GG&A Advice guys too much so I made a threads. I live in The Hampton Roads area of Virginia, my budget is around $300, and I want a Marshall sounding head to run through my Deluxe Reverb. I really like the Class 5 clips I hear, but I can't find one around to test out. I also hear the Jet City JCA20H is good for that. recommend me the best amp like this in the price range. I'll use it for blues and rock, an i want that smooth crunch. Cleans aren't as big a deal so I have the Deluxe Reverb already.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
The Class 5 is a great little amp but imo the 18W'er is far better. Lots of clones out there. Hell, they aren't that hard to build yourself if you have any skills in that department. Lots of kits available. Do a bit of googling and see if something pops up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
18 watter?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
The most common variety is the 1974X (that's the one Marshall did the reissue of) but they also came out as 1958 and 1973.
Often called a mini bluesbreaker. It's what I build into Jack Daniels tins.

There's a whole community of 18W builders out there. Classic amp, one of the best blues amps ever made. (**** off Fender fanbois ) We even have a popular forum dedicated to it - 18W.com.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Oh I see. Unfortunately I have no experience with this type of building but I'd love to get into it. Are any of those in my price range?
Quote by chip46
Genuine ones cost a friggin fortune but you may be able to find a clone used within budget.

Here's a pommy one that's not too far out of your budget new, although I'm not sure about shipping or mains voltage.
http://www.valvepower.co.uk/18w_amp.htm
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Failing an 18 watter, the jet city is prolly the best option in your budget. Owned one for a while, regret selling it. Would fit the bill perfectly for what you want
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
The Jet City is better than the Class 5?
Quote by chip46
Here's a kit that uses the same transformers I use in all my 18W builds. It's not a true 18W'er (has a TMB instead of a tone control) but should do what you want. I haven't built a TMB version myself but I have heard them and they're pretty sweet.

http://triodeelectronics.com/18wtmbkit.html
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Failing an 18 watter, the jet city is prolly the best option in your budget

It's not the same crunch as a Marshall tho. Both are nice. Personally, I would pick the JC head.
Oh I see. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS0ef5BDPyo

That right there is what I want really bad. And I know with the Class 5 I'll have to crank it to get that, but I want that tone right there so very bad. If the Jet City can get it then I will have no problem. But I know with the Jet City I'll use the preamp gain more because it has the gain and master volume switch which is way more convenient for me.
Quote by chip46
Quote by Taz9
It's not the same crunch as a Marshall tho. Both are nice. Personally, I would pick the JC head.

ever play a 18 watter? there are no where near comparable. JCA high gain v. vintage marshal

the 18 watt i built i added a post phases inverter master volume, so its not ear splitting.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
ever play a 18 watter? there are no where near comparable. JCA high gain v. vintage marshal

heh?

I thought I just said they aren't the same...
Wait so which is closer to the video I posted?
Quote by chip46
Quote by Taz9
heh?

I thought I just said they aren't the same...

I took crunch as not being on a jca, that is more of marshall thing.

i guess maybe i read it wrong.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Oh. What I really meant is that the JCA and the marshall offers different driven tones from each other.
Last edited by Taz9 at Jan 10, 2014,
How so?
Quote by chip46
Wait so which is closer to the video I posted?

He's using a Class 5. If you want to get THAT specific tone, I don't think there's a way around. Nothing will get you closer to a Class 5 tone than a Class 5 amplifier.
Then, by comparison, what does the Jet City sound like?
Quote by chip46
The JC is more compressed and modern, think 80s hair metal. You want the class 5. The newer ones with low power mode are so quiet I cranked one all the way up and I could have a conversation still. Get one.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
More Soldanoish
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
When I get back to my dorm I'm going to buy one of the used heads off of Guitarcenter.com. Would I have to call to figure out if it's an old or new version?
Quote by chip46
Quote by Cathbard
More Soldanoish

Well put
Quote by lespaul#1
When I get back to my dorm I'm going to buy one of the used heads off of Guitarcenter.com. Would I have to call to figure out if it's an old or new version?

Google this, but I'm pretty sure all the heads have low power mode.
All of them?
Quote by chip46
Quote by lespaul#1
All of them?

The Class 5s yes. Again, Google.
If you're prepared to stretch just a little, a 5881 6100 head would be yours, and one of Marshall's greatest inventions. Will run at 25w too, so great with the DRRI

In the UK, you'd get one for 600 bucks.
I thought the one you found was in Baltimore.
Quote by chip46
I was trying to get the head and you posted the combo.
Quote by chip46