My boyfriend got me a guitar for Christmas. However, he constantly wants to use it to play songs that require drop tuning to D. I keep my guitar at E standard and it's driving me crazy having him ask me to use it to dick with the tuning.

I have searched a little on this, but I'm curious on this forum's a opinion. Is it bad for the guitar or the strings? I have to say, my guitar stays in tune pretty damn well and I feel like constantly drop tuning it and then bringing it back up to standard is going to ruin that.

For anyone that is wondering, he can't change the tuning on his guitar cause he claims he would have to take it apart to do so cause of the fine tuners on it. I don't know anything about that but his argument is that he will tune it back to E standard once he's done.

Am I being petty?
1) a minor retuning to something like Drop D won't affect the guitar much, but it will decrease the life span of the strings being retuned a little bit.

2) your BF is wrong about retuning his guitar.

3) you are not being petty.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I wouldn't put up with it.

My son used to bug the dowad out
of me about that. I'm just kind of
anal about it.

Tabdog
It's not usually considered petty when you're riding in someone else's car, and they tell you not to mess with their preset radio stations. Even if they can reset those stations in a few minutes, why the hell should they have to? It's their car. Your guitar is your "car." If you want it tuned to E standard, others should respect your decision.

Oh, and your boyfriend is either wrong or lying about the tuners. Nobody would make a guitar that you had to take apart to tune, considering tuning is one of the most common things you do with a guitar. If he can tune it enough to keep it from going flat over time/with use, he can tune his guitar to drop D. If that was a lie, it was a really stupid one. :p If he has a floyd and locking nut and can't be bothered to deal with the slight bother that causes, he should sell HIS guitar and get one that he will want to play.
Quote by samuraigoomba

Oh, and your boyfriend is either wrong or lying about the tuners. Nobody would make a guitar that you had to take apart to tune, considering tuning is one of the most common things you do with a guitar.

No, your boyfriend is very probably NOT lying about not being able to downtune. If you have a floating tremolo bridge as opposed to a fixed one (like tune-o-matics on electric guitars) you can't just downtune one string without messing up the entire tension on the bridge that keeps the other strings in tune. Downtuning and returning will literally take HOURS to do right on a floating tremolo bridge (such as Floyd Roses, Ibanez' Edge-bridges and Kahlers to name the three most popular brands), thus making it easier to just restring and tune to the desired tuning from there. He wouldn't so much need to 'take it apart' per se but both retuning and restringing floating bridges is a total bitch - so it's a VERY valid point.

Other than that, I can't really add anything that others haven't said. If you want your guitar in E standard there's no shame in not wanting your boyfriend to downtune it. If he wants to play in drop D he should have bought or should buy a guitar that will allow him to re- and downtune easily.
Last edited by Eryth at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by Eryth
Downtuning and returning will literally take HOURS to do right on a floating tremolo bridge

Okay that's a bit of an exaggeration.

OP he's wrong in saying that he can't downtune his, but he's also kind of got a point because downtuning on a floating bridge is a bitch compared to a fixed bridge. But having said that changing from E standard to drop D should only take like 5 minutes assuming you're experienced with a floating trem, maybe 10-20 if you are inexperienced, a bit longer if its your first time sure. The point is that its a bit of a hassle and takes longer than a fixed bridge does.

Also, drop tuning regularly isn't going to make that big a difference, trust me I change between E and drop D pretty much every time I play. It may reduce your string life a little bit but you should be changing your strings fairly regularly anyway so that shouldn't have any effect on you. You're not being petty though. It's YOUR guitar, do with it what you want.
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Better than my plan, look at those perfect little dick suckin' lips!
Kid's a natural I tell yah!Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Marshall JCM 900 SL-X
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Fender Mexican Standard Telecaster
Hey I built a guitar
Tell HIM to buy another guitar to drop D tune. It really doesn't take much, even on my LO TRSII, to reset the tuning on a floating trem. If he does it regularly he should be a pro. Tell him to stop with the one-finger wanking, and learn how to play in any tuning.
Tell your boyfriend to buy a D-Tuna if he has a Floyd Rose or Ibanez type trem. It's specifically designed to allow him to switch between Drop D and standard tunings. Better yet, buy it for him and tell him it's his next birthday present.

You're being ridiculous. Drop tuning to D is like the smallest deal in the universe and yes, you're being petty. If his guitar has a floyd rose, then he is right and you're being ridiculous. It doesn't hurt the guitar in the slightest bit to go to drop d and back. You could do it 5 times in a day and it's fine.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
You're being ridiculous. Drop tuning to D is like the smallest deal in the universe and yes, you're being petty. If his guitar has a floyd rose, then he is right and you're being ridiculous. It doesn't hurt the guitar in the slightest bit to go to drop d and back. You could do it 5 times in a day and it's fine.

I think there's a bigger issue here. It's one of respect and territoriality. No matter how little it affects the longevity of her guitar or strings, it should be obvious to the guy that it annoys her to have him grab her guitar and tweak it. If he's paying attention, he'll find another way to get his Drop D on.
Or maybe (s)he shouldn't be such a neurotic control freak.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠

That means that most guitar players are
neurotic control freaks. At least as far as
their guitars are concerned.

Now, if it's someone you really trust,,
maybe that's another matter. But, it
seems that the OP doesn't have a lot
of trust in her boyfriend or she wouldn't
be asking these questions.

Just by reading the responses here one
can determine that she is being normal.

I have guitars that anyone can mess with.

I have others that you better leave alone
if I'm not around and please don't start
re-tuning those.

They may say drop D before you have to
buy a new set of strings. Been there, done
that,

Tabdog
Quote by Acϵ♠

Maybe.

I'm definitely a neurotic control freak when it comes to my music and camera gear. I've even gotten to the point of leaving a couple of $100 guitars out during parties and hiding all the good gear. There's always the troup of drunks who wants to pose with a guitar...

I'm not sure why you would say "she shouldn't be." Usually it's only the person who's denied access that has that sentiment. I think it's our right to be that way if we want to, and it's certainly harming no one else.
Quote by Acϵ♠

Had some bad experiences with the ladies there?

I don't like people dicking round with my guitars either, if someone asks to play one and the first thing they do is try and drop the E string that's usually the last time they'll get to play one of my guitars. This is particularly annoying if it's some dipshit that can't recognise a locking nut...

Boyfriend is being a tool, if he wants to play in Drop D then he should buy another guitar if he's too lazy/impatient/incompetent to drop the E string on his own guitar.

In fact, if I were to read between the lines here I'd even go as far as suggesting that the boyfriend possibly only bought the guitar "for his girlfriend" because he in fact wanted another guitar but couldn't think of a suitable excuse to justify spending the money on himself.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
He's got a guitar with a floating trem, it's just a bitch to change tunings on. It's not impossible, but it's not a guitar you want to be changing tuning on all the time.

It's not going to hurt your guitar to tune it to drop D. It's a very minor tuning change from E standard.
Quote by J_W
He's got a guitar with a floating trem, it's just a bitch to change tunings on. It's not impossible, but it's not a guitar you want to be changing tuning on all the time.

Unless you have a Variax JTV-89F <G>
Quote by dspellman
Tell your boyfriend to buy a D-Tuna if he has a Floyd Rose or Ibanez type trem. It's specifically designed to allow him to switch between Drop D and standard tunings. Better yet, buy it for him and tell him it's his next birthday present.

won't work if his trem is floating. or a low profile type which tends to be on ibanezes.

but yeah retuning on a floyd guitar is a pain. that still doesn't justify his dicking about with your guitar, though- it won't do it any harm, but if it annoys you (and it's your guitar) he should stop.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
This isn't a control freak move at all. Most guitarists don't like people molesting their guitars, it's a personal tool and it's generally considered rude to mess with someone's instrument. Whether this will damage the guitar (it won't) or shorten the life of the strings (unlikely) is not the point. This is about being respectful with someone's gear.
Basically everyone is being a baby in this situation.

1. OP's BF for going full Homer Simpson and buying him/her something he wanted for himself and weakly disguising it as a present for OP. He should have just cut out the middle man and bought it for himself.

2. Him again for using someone else's stuff and not returning it in the condition he received it.

3. OP for making a huge deal out of drop D. Come on It's drop D. Sure there is the principle etc but I already covered that.

A) Tell him if he puts it in Drop D he has to put it back into standard when he is done.
B) Straight up say don't put it in Drop D, if he does don't let him use it.
C) Don't let him use it at all.
This whole thing exploded to be way more than it had to, haha.
It's OP's guitar and ultimately they have the right to decide what their boyfriend can do with it.

OP - I have a guitar with a similar bridge style to your boyfriend's, and I have it set up such that I can use the fine tuner to alternate between Drop C and D tunings (which is essentially the same as switching between Drop D and E tunings). I'd recommend you have him look into that, as it's probably the most readily available solution to your problem.
Quote by samjbow
I have a guitar with a similar bridge style to your boyfriend's, and I have it set up such that I can use the fine tuner to alternate between Drop C and D tunings (which is essentially the same as switching between Drop D and E tunings). I'd recommend you have him look into that, as it's probably the most readily available solution to your problem.

Is it a FR? sounds pretty impossible to me without the other strings going out
Quote by Tempoe
Is it a FR? sounds pretty impossible to me without the other strings going out

That's because it is
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i doubt the OP is going to post here again.

And yes it's his/her guitar, but as an amateur player of a couple weeks getting mad out of ignorance to the effects of downtuning and back is a bush league reaction.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Yes. It will likely spontaneously combust from all of the stress. Pray you're not playing it and are permanently disfigured when this happens.
Quote by steven seagull
That's because it is

It's a Floyd Rose Special, and it works for me lol. I simply have the fine tuner for the low string set up tighter than normal for D standard, and looser than normal for Drop C. The rest of the strings sit in D standard tuning. They go out a little bit, but I can still use the fine tuners enough to compensate for it.