Hey Guys!

So, I have this really old guitar. It was my mother's when she was as old as me (I'm 18). It's basically half a guitar actually .

She wanted to throw it away but I insisted that I keep it and do something to preserve it and show it off (After all, it's her first guitar).

So, how do I go about restoring it? I don't want it to be playable rather just something to hang on the wall for decoration.

I don't have any pictures, but basically half of the bottom part and back has been broken off.. The neck and top is okay and doesn't require any work IMO.

Should I give it to a carpenter to reconstruct? Or do you reckon that it's possible to do it myself?
Quote by Telecaster7
With the description you've given it's pretty hard to tell what it actually is that's broken. Take it to a luthier.

Hold on. I'll get you guys some pics..
Quote by Telecaster7
So where there's tape/cardboard there's no wood? That's a tough, tough fix. Anything is possible, but even the best luthier would struggle.

Whichever luthiers I asked to help me flat out denied. So, what's my best bet here? Remember, it doesn't at all have to be playable.
Last edited by shawnkenneth at Jan 10, 2014,
yikes... normally i am all about "anything can be fixed" but eh in this case i would be worried. One suggestion would be to clear glue the tape and cardboard as a kind of extreme battle scar/authentic condition restoration. Leave it looking as it is but make it extra sturdy for wall hanging.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
OUCH! Anything can be fixed, it's just a matter of how much you want to spend. It would be a good learning experience to DIY. I would just try to tackle it yourself...you can't really mess it up any more.
Allright, I've taken off the cardboard. Since the body is very flimsy, I'm going to attempt a fix with Paper-Maiche as well as cardboard if needed.

Before I start it, are there any other possible ways to go about it?
Attachments:
IMG_20140112_200805.jpg
IMG_20140112_200812 (1).jpg
Quote by slapsymcdougal
No, I judge people based on how similar they are to me.
The greater the similarity, the more of a total ****ing **** they are.

Metal is like an apple. Everything is good except for the core
Okay, no wait. Here's my idea. Cardboard (go to a craft store and get good stuff that will bend easily and won't just crease) around the edges/bottom where the wood is missing. Try to make the seam as invisible as possible. Then, find some of that wood grain stick on wallpaper type stuff, or the stuff you might stick on an exercise book (as long as it looks like wood). Stick that around the whooollllleeee edge, even the original wood, for continuity.
Quote by Telecaster7
Okay, no wait. Here's my idea. Cardboard (go to a craft store and get good stuff that will bend easily and won't just crease) around the edges/bottom where the wood is missing. Try to make the seam as invisible as possible. Then, find some of that wood grain stick on wallpaper type stuff, or the stuff you might stick on an exercise book (as long as it looks like wood). Stick that around the whooollllleeee edge, even the original wood, for continuity.

Well, I'll definitely do the cardboard thing, but I don't know about that Wood Grain material. Could you possibly provide me a link so that I know exactly what it is? I got an idea, but just want to confirm.
Quote by slapsymcdougal

Quote by Telecaster7
http://www.designyourwall.com/store/Wood-Grain-Contact-paper-c-132.html

This is non-essential, it's just to make it look a little more woodlike. You know, like a guitar.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure now. I'll think over it and let you guys know it it turns out.
Quote by slapsymcdougal