So I woke up this morning and discovered the headstock on my les Paul custom has just just snapped off.. It's still attached to the neck but only by the paint and truss rod cover, I was wondering if this damage would be covered under warranty?
Cheers
I doubt it; warranty doesn't cover accidental damage and headstocks don't break off on their own.

Maybe it's time to look into getting a guitar with a reasonable headstock angle
Guitars:
ESP Eclipse II w/ SD Black Winters
Ibanez S540 w/ DiMarzios
Ibanez RG370DX w/ EMG 81/60
Ibanez RG7321 w/ DiMarzios
Pedals:
Fulltone FB-3
Crybaby Wah
Ibanez TS-9
Amps:
Peavey 6505+
Get some clamps and some Tite Bond glue and glue it back up. This is a common break in Epi and Gibson guitars.

I have fixed 3 last year alone 2 G-400's and a LP standard
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
As I understood an Epi warranty it covers faulty craftsmanship. If there aren't any chips and dings on the headstock it would indicate that it broke from mere stress and not a drop. IDK just speculating.
Yeah no dings or anything and it was still sitting in it's stand.. Should i contact epiphone or just take it into where I got it from to be looked at?
Cheers!
Wow. What kind of craftmanship is that?! Good luck, hope you get it sorted out with them.
[..BLACKFIRE..]
Quote by Vanagandr
Yeah no dings or anything and it was still sitting in it's stand.. Should i contact epiphone or just take it into where I got it from to be looked at?
Cheers!

Take it where you bought it and contact Epiphone, but like has been said they are not likely to warranty it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yeah ill see what they say and if they don't sort it out ill fix it myself, what glue is the best to use for this?
I use the original Franklin Tite-bond wood glue and get at lest 2 good clamps I like the Irwin quick clamps because they have foam pads on the areas that touch the guitar, so no putting wood splints on every thing to keep C-clamp type metal off the guitar finish. Get the ones that are 100lbs or more clamping force so you get a good glue joint.
put the glue on every piece of wood you can.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've only had it about 6 months and it's broken where the headstock and neck meet.. I can't upload a pic, it's saying its too big
Quote by Robbgnarly
Get some clamps and some Tite Bond glue and glue it back up. This is a common break in Epi and Gibson guitars.

I have fixed 3 last year alone 2 G-400's and a LP standard

^^

How long he's owned it and anything else are almost irrelevant.

The problem is that Gibson/Epiphone insist on using one-piece necks, fairly high headstock angles, and don't bother with volutes. The neck is inherently weak at the headstock, where the truss rod access is.

Is it like this?

Yeah I'll just fix it myself, cheers guys..
if I can't find that titebond what would be a good alternative?
Quote by Vanagandr
Yeah I'll just fix it myself, cheers guys..
if I can't find that titebond what would be a good alternative?

Where do you live, you can get Franklin tite-bond at just about any decent hardware store. You can also order it from www.stewmac.com

I buy mine at Home Depot
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I live in nz, we have selleys and stuff but don't wanna just buy cheap shit that won't work

Edit: would gorilla glue do the job? If so which one to use?
Last edited by Vanagandr at Jan 15, 2014,
So that's not covered under the warranty even though it's a known problem and it has been less than a year? I'm no lawyer but I would think that would be considered faulty workmanship. This is from the Epiphone website referring to the limited lifetime warranty.

"If you experience any problems with your new Epiphone instrument please do not attempt to repair it yourself. You should immediately contact the retailer where you purchased it. In most cases, the retailer will either replace or arrange to have it repaired for you. But if for any reason the problem cannot be resolved or is not resolved to your satisfaction, please contact our Customer Service department. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and we are here to help. The contact information is below"
I can't believe the headstock just snapped of its own accord

So bizare!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
Les paul headstocks are known to be weak, look on ebay for 'broken guitar' and you'll find a large amount of the results are epis or gibsons with neck breaks.

The good thing is they do repair quite easily as the break is often clear of the fretboard and binding.

As said before, a decent dose of good quality wood glue and a good clamp for at least 2 days and it should be fine. You could go to the extent of removing the head completely and then strengthening it with dowls before refitting but in my experience (and I fixed a few) its not really necessary.

Your main issue really is not repairing the neck but repairing the finish after. If its lacquered - and I guess it is - you'll probably find that over time the lacquer on the neck and headstock either side of that break start to chip off in large chunks.

I usually sand the lacquer off the entire neck and head and refinish it in clear lacquer or varnish but that's all down to taste, all you see of thenbreak if its done properly is a hairline crack - usually only if you know its there.

You could get a car body shop to respray it for you for a small amount of cash, they should be quite good at matching the original finish with nitro-cellulose.
I just broke the neck on my 1985 standard . Being repaired- takes about 2 weeks- I dropped it while a swapping guitars- I didn't have strap locks- I will now!
Quote by Vanagandr
I live in nz, we have selleys and stuff but don't wanna just buy cheap shit that won't work

Edit: would gorilla glue do the job? If so which one to use?

you can get tite bond in new zealand http://www.pcladhesives.co.nz/products/furniture/titebond-original/

where in NZ are you?? If you are anywhere near me (south auckland/franklin) I can take a look at it to make sure it is glue able
Let off the string tension and try and keep the headstock attached.

Like Robb says, Titebond (not sure which one, but that is important) and clamps. Have a damp cloth handy to wipe off glue squeeze-out, and check clamp pressure again after the squeeze-out has been wiped off. I personally wouldn't overdo the clamp pressure, because I've heard stories about squeezing too much glue out of the joint and leaving it weak.

FWIW, my music-store-owning mate was doing one of these headstock repairs last week, and he was using slow-setting epoxy rather than Titebond (with naptha for cleanup) but Titebond seems to be the popular choice.
Last edited by Tony Done at Oct 26, 2014,
Quote by happihank
I just broke the neck on my 1985 standard . Being repaired- takes about 2 weeks- I dropped it while a swapping guitars- I didn't have strap locks- I will now!

You necrobumped this thread just to say this? -_-
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend