Hey, I'm looking for an amp which is loud enough to gig with, but small and light enough to carry considerable distances and take on the bus (I've moved away for uni and don't have a car down here).

Would be playing mainly rock (from the Stones to GnR), and possibly stretching to some heavier stuff like Alter Bridge, but nothing extreme. 2 Channels would be a preferable, and I'm pretty certain that it would have to be a valve amp. Wattage isn't a huuuuuge issue as I will be able to mic it up at gig venues, although it would have to be loud enough to compete with the rest of the band and drummer during practice.

At home I have a JCM 900 combo and this suits my sound perfectly - sadly it weighs a tonne - I'm after an amp I can comfortably carry (less than 30lbs preferably, the 900 is 55ish).

Considering the Fender Superchamp XD (or X2 - don't know the difference) - does anyone have any experience with these? Also looking for any other suggestions.

Regards, MM

Edit: Budget - £350 tops
What's the difference between a chickpea and a lentil?
I've never paid to have a lentil on my face!
Last edited by Miracle_Man at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by Taz9
Check out Vox AC4.

in my opinion that is little smaller than i would be comfortable gigging.

what about a POD? you could go right in to the PA.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The AC4 looks nice but yah it does look a bit small for gigging..

Going the POD route is an option I've considered, however I'd much rather have an actual amp as I wouldn't be putting 100% faith in the monitor mix at a gig in order to hear myself.
in my opinion that is little smaller than i would be comfortable gigging.

Yea after I think about it.
Not easy to find something under your weight limit, but what about a egnater tweaker 15 combo?
According to their website it is exactly 30 lbs
Quote by ~Luke~
Not easy to find something under your weight limit, but what about a egnater tweaker 15 combo?
According to their website it is exactly 30 lbs

That amp looks delicious although out of my price rance unfortunately I probably should have said in the original post that I'm looking for something under £350
Quote by Miracle_Man
That amp looks delicious although out of my price rance unfortunately I probably should have said in the original post that I'm looking for something under £350

Ok, that doesn't make this easier
If you go used the Tweaker should be in budget, but finding one could take some time..
One other option that just came to my mind would be the Laney Cub 12, that would even leave a bit of your budget to change the speaker (and I would really recommend doing that).
Oooooh i like the look of the Cub 12, looks very promising!
use the money to pay someone to carry your JCM around.
On topic though, I'd also recommend a used tweaker, my buddy has one in Denver and carries it around almost everywhere and gets such a multitude of tones.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Honey Burst
Alvarez Cedar Top
Fender Twin Reverb
CAE dual-fasel wah
EMMA DiscumBOBulator
T-Rex Yellow Drive
TC Spark
Mooer Phaser
TC Flashback X4
Out of interest, what speaker would you suggest sticking in the Laney? I've got a Vintage 30 lying about, think that would be a worthwhile improvement over stock?
The Vintage 30 would probably not be my first choice, but always a solid option and definitely an improvment compared to the stock speaker.
But actually speakers are not really my field of expertise, maybe wait what others suggest.
Ac4tv is a class A amp and is plenty loud enough for gigging (It will drive a 412 cab no problem) (16 ohm)....Tone is killer!! I would have back up at all times though. A spare set of tubes too.
Quote by RW3470
Ac4tv is a class A amp and is plenty loud enough for gigging (It will drive a 412 cab no problem) (16 ohm)....Tone is killer!! I would have back up at all times though. A spare set of tubes too.

no.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Jet City JCA2212 combo. 38lbs but a nice grab and go combo €277 at www.thoman.de
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by RW3470

The AC4TV is only 4w. It's almost too quiet for bedroom playing, there's no way it could compete against a drum kit.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
The AC4TV is only 4w. It's almost too quiet for bedroom playing, there's no way it could compete against a drum kit.

Almost too quiet.....nonsense.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
^ Agreed - can definitely be too loud for bedroom playing at times. But still definitely not loud enough for gigging.

Came here to say how my Laney VC30 is pretty light, and only about half the weight of the amp my band's other guitarist has - but checked the stats & apparently it's almost 50lbs so I guess TS won't be wanting that suggestion.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Dsl401?
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
If I were in your situation I would find a decent weighted 1x12 cab that you are comfortable carrying with a nice speaker and buy an EHX .44 Magnum (which is loud enough to gig) and either a pedal preamp like one of those AMT legend series or something like a POD. the pedal pre and power amp can just go in your bag and the cab will be light!
I've got the Laney Cub10, I use it for practice with a Bad Monkey & sounds good. Wish I'd had the money for the Cub12, but mine sounds good through a 4x12 cab!
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!