Called my guitar tech today. Asked him whether I should have my floyd set up or just have it blocked off with wood. Long story short, I really wanna be able to use my trem AND palm mute without my guitar going flat all the time, but if I have to trade my use of the trem fo rock-solid muting, then so be it.

Guitar is going to be strung 13-58 C Standard. Guitar shipped to my house with shitty light gauge strings and factory set up...

My question; WILL the guitar be easier to palm mute without going sharp as easy with a proper set up and with these heavier gauge strings?

P.S. action will be set as low as possible without buzzing.
Honestly you need to learn how to palm mute properly.

I can still vividly remember the first time I ever played a guitar with a Floyd, it felt like i could barely even look at the bridge without everything diving out of tune.

It wasn't the fault of the guitar though, I hadn't been playing long and I just sucked.

Nowadays I suck slightly less and I can happily play on a floating bridge, palm mutes and all, and not have it go out of tune.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Honestly you need to learn how to palm mute properly.

I can still vividly remember the first time I ever played a guitar with a Floyd, it felt like i could barely even look at the bridge without everything diving out of tune.

It wasn't the fault of the guitar though, I hadn't been playing long and I just sucked.

Nowadays I suck slightly less and I can happily play on a floating bridge, palm mutes and all, and not have it go out of tune.

2 things. First, I assume you're not playing fast, thrashy death metal. If I had to guess I'd say rock, alternative, and early heavy metal...

Second, you didnt answer my question. If you actually took the time to read the WHOLE post, I saidddddddd "If I get the proper set, and the action adjusted low, AND heavy gauge strings, will it be easier to get away with more pick hand pressure when palm muting....
Steve is right. You need to learn how to palm mute properly because I've never had that problem with a floyd. The problem you're having is that you're pressing down on the strings too hard as you mute, which presses the vibrato down.
Quote by DeathShredder23
2 things. First, I assume you're not playing fast, thrashy death metal. If I had to guess I'd say rock, alternative, and early heavy metal...

Your style of music has nothing to do with how hard you press down on the strings as you mute.
My question; WILL the guitar be easier to palm mute without going sharp as easy with a proper set up and with these heavier gauge strings?

I could just say that if your technique was correct, it wouldn't be an issue in the first place. But having heavier strings and thus more tension will make the bridge more stiff, thus make it harder to push it out of tune with muting.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 10, 2014,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Your style of music has nothing to do with how hard you press down on the strings as you mute.

Not exactly... If you're just strumming chords to a pop song you probably wont be doing too much muting. Likewise if you were 70s era classic rock with light palm muting at easy tempos...

Regardless, I will admit that I am used to play a 50 gauge on the low E string, and this guitar came with a 46 on the bottom, sooo maybe that has something to do with it. I'm used to more fret pressure playing with heavier string gauges.

I plan on setting the action low as well, as previously stated. Will that help too? I'm sure I'll get used it to it, and who knows, I might not even have to block the floyd off after all! I'll have the tech make two wooden blocks for me just in case though, but hopefully I wont need them.

Now that you mentioned stiffness though, will I still be able to dive even with such heavy strings?
Quote by DeathShredder23
Not exactly... If you're just strumming chords to a pop song you probably wont be doing too much muting. Likewise if you were 70s era classic rock with light palm muting at easy tempos...

Stop. Making. Excuses.

You don't need to palm mute that heavily to get a good brutal tone. Two of my guitars have floating bridges, both of which I used at the last gig I played; sessioning for a deathgrind band. My tone was plenty brutal enough and I had no issues with pushing the bridges out of tune.

About diving with heavy strings:

It probably won't make much difference. It'll be harder but if you can't dive then I would suggest you're playing with strings that require too much spring tension.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You don't have to palm mute that hard. Ease up the pressure and you should be fine. To answer your question, no, getting a set up will not help at all. A setup will lower the spring tension to make divebombs easier. If you really can't help pressing down hard, try moving your palm further up and find the sweet spot. It's usually somewhere in between your intonation screws and the back of your pickup mount. Try around the bridge posts.
Also move you hand more towards the neck to get more muted sound.

People often have it more towards the bridge end of things, because you get more low mid frequencies when you palm mute, thus making it heavier.

However when playing with a band (and loud) the lower frequencies will be there by the bass, and thus you can let go of some of this low mid, in favour of a more muted sound.

I teach guitar, and I tell people this often. (they always reply with, it sounds too dead if my hand is more towards the neck, then I say that ^^).

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by darrenram1
A setup will lower the spring tension to make divebombs easier.

Not if he's going up in string gauge at the same tuning.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not if he's going up in string gauge at the same tuning.

Yea remember guys, it's gonna be in C Standard with heavy strings.

Hopefully having heavier strings will make it so that I can mute lighter and still have the chunkiness.
Quote by darrenram1
You don't have to palm mute that hard. Ease up the pressure and you should be fine. To answer your question, no, getting a set up will not help at all.

Yea but with a set up, action will be adjusted. Doesn't this mean that I'll at least have a nice, faster feel to the guitar??? My hardtail has low action, and it plays beautifully.
^I was talking about the palm muting issue. Action wise, it will definitely be lower.
Do you want to go through life without ever being able to use a Trem? You should change your technique now, the sooner the better.

I play thrash, death, black metal all the time and never have that problem. It's not the style of music you play, it's the technique. Trust me it's for your own good..
[..BLACKFIRE..]
one of the things ive discovered of how much skill it take to pull of very subtle guitar techiques when your are going freaking crazy playing the music.

stuff like pinch harmonics, harmonics, mutes, etc etc require so LITTLE touch and finess, but your going 150%!!!! its hard.

___

that being said, most people here are right. its you, not the bridge. if it was the bridge, it would have been designed differently to "fix" a problem. theres no problem. its you.

ALSO - i may ask why you have a floyd? do you use it? really? i mean REALLY? are dive bombs a key to your signature solo tone? do you play a lot of lead?

....after that reflection, why not just get a hard tail. gorrilla grip the mother out of that bridge to your hearts delight. no tuning issues. oh and string changes, etc will take about 2 minutes flat.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
one of the things ive discovered of how much skill it take to pull of very subtle guitar techiques when your are going freaking crazy playing the music.

stuff like pinch harmonics, harmonics, mutes, etc etc require so LITTLE touch and finess, but your going 150%!!!! its hard.

___

that being said, most people here are right. its you, not the bridge. if it was the bridge, it would have been designed differently to "fix" a problem. theres no problem. its you.

ALSO - i may ask why you have a floyd? do you use it? really? i mean REALLY? are dive bombs a key to your signature solo tone? do you play a lot of lead?

....after that reflection, why not just get a hard tail. gorrilla grip the mother out of that bridge to your hearts delight. no tuning issues. oh and string changes, etc will take about 2 minutes flat.

The guitar came with the floyd, and I REALLY loved the shape and the color scheme.
I figured that I should just get the trem stopper. It's like 15 bucks, and I can have my guitar still have a trem. I just wont be able to go up on the bar. That's all.

I actually wouldnt mind that, because I am going to be in C Standard. At that point, the guitar begins to lose some of it's natural harmonic highs, so I think just being able to dive bomb on it would be adequate on it. I play lead, yes, and I will being learning a bunch of black dahlia murder on this thing.

When ryan knight uses the bar, (which he does on quite a few solos) he mostly dives. Hell, I'm not too sure I can even name a solo that involves him going up with the bar (though I'm sure there must be at least 1 or 2)

If I do this, I will get increased tuning stability, and I wont really have to worry so much about my fret pressure. Something that most of you guys dont know, is that I am not even really that ham-fisted when it comes to palm muting. Even trying to alternate pick open strings fast with a light palm mute was hard to get used to, and even then, not so great sounding.

I bet if I just got the action lowered, put on heavier strings, and got everything set up while it was full floating, I would be able to enjoy the guitar a lot more. But even so, I think partially blocking it would be the best choice.

If I buy a guitar in the future with a floyd, an plan on putting it in standard E or D standard, then I will have it be full floating. That way I can pull of some early Death and Children of Bodom solos. The bar goes all over the place in some of those songs. Hell, just look at Slayer...